SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Right-turn camera at Wickes/Halfords
davidl

30-06-2008 11:25 AM

That whole junction doesn't really work - and I think it brings out the worst in a lot of drivers (going in both directions there always seems to be a lot of jockeying for position as lanes become right-turn-only or peter out).

Banning the right turn into Wickes doesn't seem to have helped much (other than putting more money into TfL's coffers) - generally the traffic going in the other direction was moving so slowly (or stopped, waiting for the Stanstead Road lights to change) that people were happy to let you turn. However, the signs do make it clear that you're not allowed to do it now, and I think you have to hold your hands up and say it's a fair cop. Annoying as it is, accepting the ?60 PCN is probably better than being done for driving without due care and attention (the standard cop response to "I didn't see the sign")...

Having never had any issue with turning right, and not caused any significant tailbacks in doing so (obv. before the signs went up) I do find having to schlep all the way round the Catford one-way system to be a complete pain (and a waste of petrol...) and just tend to go to the Wickes on Blackheath Hill these days. I'm not sure whether the Ravensbourne Park suggestion is equally naughty as turning right off Catford Road - I suspect it is, but there just isn't a camera to stop it.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Right-turn camera at Wickes/Halfords - davidl - 30-06-2008 11:25 AM