SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (3): « First [1] 2 3 Next > Last »
Right-turn camera at Wickes/Halfords
Londondrz

30-04-2008 07:37 AM

[Moved from SE23 Topics > That bus lane camera (Stansted Road) -admin]

I am afraid Baggydave and Sydeman that sending you a letter telling you off cost the council money, sending a ?60 fine makes them money. Given the fact that the enforcement arm of the council dont give a toss about you or I guess which one they will choose.

That camera at the Wickes/Halfords is there only to make money, there is no other reason for it. If anyone on here is from the council and can tell me different then I am only happy to listen.

We should all write to the council to get it removed and save a large amount of CO2 and make our carbon footprint smaller (reason: if you drive to either of those stores from FH you have to drive past them, around the Catford one way system and back wasting fuel). Oh and before anyone mentions it I dont have a bicycle and have no wish to drag lumber home on a busSmile

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NewForester

30-04-2008 09:57 AM

Rather than getting the camera removed, shouldn't the junction be redesigned so that there was a mini-roundabout and a single entrance enabling you to turn into Wickes/Halford from this direction? It's only illegal to turn right into Wickes - you can (apparently) turn right into Halfords...

PS Have you tried getting a 10' (3m) length of timber on the bus? They normally throw you off and I have to walk home, rent a car or use Catford Timber to deliver for free.

Ghis

30-04-2008 11:03 AM

We got a fine for turning right into Halfords.

BarCar

30-04-2008 11:23 AM

NewForester wrote:
It's only illegal to turn right into Wickes - you can (apparently) turn right into Halfords...

Good grief - do they have to write the traffic orders in ye olde English? I had to get a map out to figure out exactly what they were saying.

Is the no right turn into Wickes signposted? I don't recall seeing it and have made that manoeuvre a few times without being ticketed - won't be doing it again. - it seems daft that you can right-turn Halfords but not Wickes.

Sherwood

30-04-2008 02:12 PM

If you look at the road when you drive towards Catford, the big white painted letters read "AHEAD ONLY". I assume that this also applies to the right turn into Halfords.

The road sign on the lampost opposite Wickes reads "No Right Turn". There is also a claim that cameras enforce this.

Lots of drivers ignore the restrictions.

I think the restrictions are there to keep the traffic moving.

I put fence poles over my shoulder and walk home with them.
Some people borrow one of their trolleys.

NewForester

30-04-2008 05:16 PM

BarCar wrote:
Is the no right turn into Wickes signposted?

Yes it's signposted. The sign is mounted on the left of the bridge. Ironically, the aerial photo on Google shows someone turning right Crying

Gris, maybe the "Ahead Only" applies to Halfords' turn. Thanks for scotching that rumour.

The camera is located dead ahead up in the sky, just past the turn to Ravensbourne Park. If it's pointed in the direction of the Catford Gyratory then you may not get a ticket - depends how lucky / law abiding you feel.

In 2003, there were plans for the junction according to Lewisham's website

Darien Goodwin - Head of Transport wrote:
It is understood that the signal scheme to improve access and pedestrian facilities for the Wickes/Halfords junction is proceeding

Not sure if any changes were implemented.

Snazy

01-05-2008 10:03 AM

Oh dear, I did the Halfords turn just the other day, the same day i sold the car lol.

Tis a bit pathetic I have to say. If it was a very busy place with constant turners I would understand it.

Worst part is, the only way to get in there legally is to either go round the one way system which is already gridlocked. Which the majority not knowing the area too well will do.

Or go first left over Catford Bridge, first left again, second left and up the one way road round the back of Tesco.... Then join the queue to rejoin the traffic on the bridge.

As has been said, thats doing wonders for the air quality eh !

michael

01-05-2008 11:32 AM

To avoid going twice round Catford; turn into Canadian Avenue, turn into the car park, come straight out and back over the railway. This route only has four extra sets of traffic lights.

Snazy

01-05-2008 12:05 PM

Still excessive though would you not agree

michael

01-05-2008 12:59 PM

I think most people would regard 4 sets of traffic lights as excessive when you only wish to turn right. Hence the sarcastic use of the word 'only'

Snazy

01-05-2008 03:16 PM

michael wrote:
I think most people would regard 4 sets of traffic lights as excessive when you only wish to turn right. Hence the sarcastic use of the word 'only'

Its all good, I didnt take your reply in the respect of you believing it to me minimalistic whatsoever Smile

Sherwood

01-05-2008 08:52 PM

I frequently see drivers turning right into & out of Wickes. Usually they cause the whole of the south circular to grind to a halt.

Londondrz

02-05-2008 07:22 AM

Usually the whole of the South Circular is ground to a halt anyway.

Snazy

02-05-2008 08:21 AM

Sherwood wrote:
I frequently see drivers turning right into & out of Wickes. Usually they cause the whole of the south circular to grind to a halt.

South Circular is a big old road, I cant see occasional cars turning right causing too much disruption to an already messed up road.

There are plenty of right turns along its way which cause more problems, but for some reason this one was chosen. Probably because its one of the most awkward to find an alternative route to.

Londondrz

02-05-2008 08:39 AM

Selfish people blocking up the junction at the lights, despite being box junction, causes far more backups but I dont see the camera being used on that.

Snazy

02-05-2008 09:17 AM

Londondrz wrote:
Selfish people blocking up the junction at the lights, despite being box junction, causes far more backups but I dont see the camera being used on that.

Here here, the exact junctions you have to use to get back round to Halfords at that too !
Some of the road planning in this borough really worry me. One day I would love to meet the team that do road planning, just to hear how some of these decisions are reached Smile

Londondrz

02-05-2008 09:23 AM

I think if you go into the pub opposite the town hall they will be in there!!

michael

02-05-2008 10:13 AM

Snazy wrote:
Here here, the exact junctions you have to use to get back round to Halfords at that too !
Some of the road planning in this borough really worry me. One day I would love to meet the team that do road planning, just to hear how some of these decisions are reached Smile

TfL control the South Circular not Lewisham Council.

ambient
No longer registered

02-05-2008 11:56 AM

There is an ambiguity with that junction though isn't there? The No Right Turn sign is clearly there before the bridge, so you definitely can't turn into Wickes. But there ought to be another sign to indicate that you can't turn into Halfords also (if that is indeed the case).

When i had first moved into the area I turned right into Halfords but (thankfully) didn't get a ticket. Nowadays I try to approach Catford from the south, before turning into Canadian Avenue to avoid the Gyratory just so that I can turn left into Halfords or Wickes. It's hardly efficient I know, but I find it much less hassle.

The road layout in Catford is just a mess!

Snazy

02-05-2008 11:15 PM

michael wrote:

Snazy wrote:

TfL control the South Circular not Lewisham Council.

Does that include the planning of the layout then ? Or just the maintainance? I for some reason thought it was only maintainance, doh Smile

Cheers for the correction Smile

Pages (3): « First [1] 2 3 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields