SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (6): « First < Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Next > Last »
Traffic lights Dartmouth Road/London Road
Mr_Numbers

28-10-2013 03:49 PM

Looks like a bunch of movie crew trailers in the Perry Vale car park.

Are they here to film Deano's life story already???

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SElady

11-11-2013 04:59 PM

Traffic backed right along Dartmouth Road this morning at 0845 and finished at Kirkdale. Any idea why? Also queuing again at 4.15 this afternoon from the lights to the swimming pool - have the lights reverted again? Who do we call if they have?

Mr_Numbers

11-11-2013 05:23 PM

Quote:
Traffic backed right along Dartmouth Road this morning at 0845 and finished at Kirkdale. Any idea why?

They're digging up Sydenham Rise, apparently, so I guess traffic is being diverted along Dartmouth Road. I'm not sure who's doing the digging but it's going to last for six weeks, according to the construction sign by Forest Hill station.

Quote:
The lights by the Co-Op seem to have reverted to pedestrian control again, red light about every 15 seconds at rush hour, nightmare.

Not good! Don't know if it's connected with the Sydenham Rise chaos - eg, trying to restrict the flow of traffic poring into the London Road junction.

robin orton

11-11-2013 05:23 PM

I assumed the problems in Dartmouth Road this morning were a result of the closure (for six weeks) of Sydenham Rise, which I think started today. Things were still bad at 9.15, but seemed to have cleared by 10.15.

Ah, I see Mr Numbers got in first!

This post was last modified: 11-11-2013 05:25 PM by robin orton.

Campervan Tim

12-11-2013 11:39 AM

Traffic problems on Dartmouth Road are as much to do with parked cars narrowing the road so restricting flow as it is to do with the light phasing. Lewisham cannot control the light phasing because that is TFL controlled but they could do something about the car parking. The Sydenham Rise closure is just making the terrible situation even worse

kipya

12-11-2013 12:00 PM

The car parking is a problem in Dartmouth Road and so is pavement parking. For the past several weeks every time I have walked down Dartmouth Road there are cars parked on the pavement, presumably because the drivers recognise that parking on the road would be so disruptive. The lights and the parking are a problem, and the Sydenham Rise work effect will doubtless push this to breaking point

I have written to Lewisham several times about the parking on double yellow lines and the pavement but they pass it on to the outsourced parking operatives, NSL, and that's the last I ever hear of it. Great stuff, outsourcing. It removes responsibility and accountability.

My feeling is that as part of a regeneration programme along Dartmouth Road then something radical should be done - such as having pedestrian only access from say Derby Hill to London Road (or perhaps with bus access only) between 9:00am and 5:00pm. I am sure there are problems with this, but leaving things as they are does not look too good.

Campervan Tim

12-11-2013 12:08 PM

I'm pretty sure that the congestion combined with grubby shutters and signage and litter along Dartmouth Road discourages foot traffic along there, which will be part of the downturn in business the shops are seeing

Anotherjohn

12-11-2013 12:40 PM

Yeah, thanks for those words of encouragement Tim!

Aren't you the lucky one for not having to deal with issues like these where you are.

Well bully for you mate!!!

Campervan Tim

12-11-2013 12:45 PM

Not sure what the sarcasm is for John.
I see the issues daily, living off of Dartmouth Road, using shops there daily and frequently get stuck in traffic or find the pavement blocked by cars. Its an observation of what I see - perhaps you have a different view?

Anotherjohn

12-11-2013 03:25 PM

You're out of order Tim.

I also see some of these things, however, this post is about the traffic lights and related congestion so where does slagging-off the street and making comments about foot-traffic and a downturn in business come into it? You had your opportunity to make constructive criticism and air your views to some of Dartmouth Road's key stakeholders last night so I am very surprised that you've decided to save it up and blurt it out here. That's why I'm a bit peed-off.

Campervan Tim

12-11-2013 03:54 PM

John - you may think I'm out of order and that's your right to think that. But I was not the one adopting a sarcastic, bordering on aggressive response.

Possibly you are mistaking me for someone else as I've no idea what you are talking about when you mention an opportunity to air my views last night. If you are mistaking me for someone else - quite likely because I have no idea who you are - perhaps that person has rubbed you up the wrong way before so me saying something you didn't like may have been the past straw. Whatever it is I don't know but the nature of your post was a bit unnecessary in my view

Anyway, to clarify I did not slag anything off - not intentionally anyway. I made an objective comment on the parking as in my view it is contributing very significantly to the traffic congestion as well as the traffic light phasing. That was my main point.

Then, because I dip in and out of the forum mainly because of a time factor I threw in another observation that it may be linked to another situation referred to in another thread I saw. I think that the worsening of this traffic situation (its got even worse in the past few months) plus a few other factors like the fact that pavements can be difficult to navigate at times and yes, some parts of the road could be considered unappealing to the eye may make wandering up Dartmouth Road less appealing than it could be to more casual shoppers.

I mentioned it because I like Dartmouth Road. I have lived just off of it for many years. I have good relationships with a number of the traders there and spend quite a lot of my disposable income in the shops rather than elsewhere, so the situation on the street matters to me. That is why I've contacted Lewisham council about the lights, the parking and at the other end of the road, quite a lot speeding traffic, a number of times in the past 3 or 4 years and have had uninterested responses. That won't stop me contacting them again in the future

I will however, bow out of this conversation because I guess I am not allowed to voice an opinion, but rest assured my limited participation had only been with good intentions.

michael

12-11-2013 04:32 PM

I assume it was John sitting next to Steve from Campervantastic at last night's meeting. And the Campervan has caused a little bit of confusion.

Tim's comment might have been a little odd coming from Steve, but Tim is entitled to his own views.

The nice thing is that everybody wants to see more people shopping on Dartmouth Road, and there are some lovely shops (as well as some grubby shutters). Personally I find that there is little need for Forest Hill residents to drive down Dartmouth Road. Admittedly I only live round the corner so it is an easy walk. But there are two perfectly good car parks where there is always space behind Sainsburys and the railway. From either of these it is less than 5 minutes to all the shops on Dartmouth Road, which is often faster than driving down the road.

I suspect that there are actually quite few customers driving to shops on Dartmouth Road and most of the traffic is not stopping in Forest Hill.

robin orton

12-11-2013 04:41 PM

Quote:
Personally I find that there is little need for Forest Hill residents to drive down Dartmouth Road.

That's a bit sweeping. If you live in the Kirkdale/Thorpewood Avenue/Derby Hill area, it's by far the most direct route to the South Circular eastbound.

rshdunlop

12-11-2013 04:51 PM

I wonder if Michael meant that we don't need to drive ALONG Dartmouth Road to shop there, which is entirely true. But many of us, of course, do drive THROUGH Dartmouth Road to get to other places.

Anotherjohn

12-11-2013 06:15 PM

Tim, I really am sorry that something I've said has made you feel that you aren't allowed to contribute to the forum. Who the hell am I - or anyone else - to belittle a fellow poster's opinion? I'm sure we all appreciate other peoples' views however they may differ from our own. I just felt that you needn't have dragged 'the downturn the shops are seeing' into this - and then for you to blame this on traffic congestion 'combined with grubby shutters and signage and litter' it seemed [to me] that you'd stuck the boot in a bit. After what you've said subsequently I can see that you never intended to be spiteful and I feel totally stupid for reading something into your post that wasn't there. I apologise to you for that.

michael

12-11-2013 07:41 PM

I meant driving down 'to' Dartmouth road. Hopefully that makes a bit more sense.

Deano

12-11-2013 10:21 PM

Some random thoughts, not thought through in any way.

Personally, I don't think that there is enough parking on Dartmouth Road. If the shops are going to be more successful then people need to be able to stop outside and run in. Forest Hill has ended up with some very big 'plazas' outside the job centre and paddy power which could be eroded slightly to become short term 30 minute parking for the shops. On the other side of the road the parking is a mess. It should be a red route down by (and including) the florist. Then there should be parking all the way along the road and they should get rid of those irritating chicane things.

If this isn't possible then I would make David's Road two way up to Sainsbury's car park. Then you'd be able to park quickly in the town centre instead of going on the magical mystery tour of Waldenshaw Rd.

They could do with removing the pedestrian island at junction of Dartmouth Road and south circular having two lanes onto the South Circular (left and straight on).

P1971

12-11-2013 10:40 PM

Hey all just to let you know from my point of view I think Anotherjohn is utterly amazing, I love him as a person, and CamperVanTim too, they are 2 people that care so much about FH like me. Wires were crossed as they both thought they were talking to other people. I do it all the time on here! and will let both know about this, sure they will be laughing about this and shaking hands in no time!

Mr_Numbers

12-11-2013 11:04 PM

Quote:
Personally, I don't think that there is enough parking on Dartmouth Road.

I quite agree. The number of times I've needed to go to WH Smith for 5 minutes, or would have gone to Bunka for a card or Boots for paracetemol or one of the charity shops for a book or whatever - but the lack of parking space there and the hassle of the walk from either car park referred to (remembering to get a ticket to cover 15 minutes' free parking) means I wind up going to the big Sainsbury's...

I'm sorry but I have no idea what the solution is but Deano (aka Mr Plinth) might be onto something.

ryananglem

13-11-2013 09:35 AM

Just my 2p, but I find it hard to believe that the benefit to a shop of the odd person who drives in is greater than the cost of that person's car parked on the pavement deterring others from going there, blocking traffic etc.

The pools have no car parking by design, and they seem to have been able to function properly, and recent studies for Wandsworth/Balham (I don't have the links to hand) have shown that most people who shop locally there use public transport or walk. (more and more are using cycling as an alternative, but it is still a minority).

Do that many people still own cars? The car park by the station is mostly empty for a great deal of the time. I guess my question is, are the people who park on Dartmouth Road and block the traffic etc just lazy?

Pages (6): « First < Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Murders in Dartmouth Road in the early 80's TheTerrace 1 836 29-01-2024 11:25 AM
Last Post: Sherwood
  Dartmouth Road closed from the 26th January rbmartin 1 1,147 24-01-2024 04:15 PM
Last Post: samuelsen
  Boots on Dartmouth Road is closing robertjroy 16 3,927 07-11-2023 03:10 PM
Last Post: rbmartin
  27 London Road PollyMArtin 2 1,811 15-08-2023 10:02 PM
Last Post: nottinghillbilly
  London Road/Honor Oak Road roadworks again rbmartin 4 2,727 02-03-2023 06:53 PM
Last Post: rbmartin
  Tree down on Dartmouth Road michael 0 2,683 10-08-2019 02:36 PM
Last Post: michael
  Total gridlock as @thameswater’s tri-annual water feature on London Road samuelsen 3 4,623 07-02-2019 02:59 PM
Last Post: johnfbw
  Forthcoming Thames Water works (London Road) samuelsen 0 2,941 04-02-2019 02:30 PM
Last Post: samuelsen
  Dartmouth Road work contacts Slimwaste 3 4,668 11-10-2018 11:08 AM
Last Post: BigED
  New Street Art in London Road Snazy 0 3,318 06-09-2018 09:11 AM
Last Post: Snazy
  Roadworks on Dartmouth Road - will they ever finish? BigED 29 26,435 09-05-2018 04:27 PM
Last Post: The Hill
  Water leak in Dartmouth Road hillview 0 3,984 04-02-2018 12:55 PM
Last Post: hillview
  Bus diversions due to closure of Dartmouth Road hillview 0 3,811 26-01-2018 09:45 AM
  Failed TW temp traffic lights - Honor Oak Road samuelsen 5 6,820 17-01-2018 06:47 PM
Last Post: Hillman
  Heron House, 32-34 Dartmouth Road SE23, to be converted to flats hillview 2 4,920 16-03-2017 11:58 AM
Last Post: michael
  Unsafe looking wall London road nottinghillbilly 1 3,302 10-03-2017 10:32 PM
Last Post: Hillman
  Smashed shop windows London Road nottinghillbilly 4 6,006 17-01-2017 03:36 PM
Last Post: humbolt
  Male throwing knives in London Road, Forest Hill hillview 1 4,732 12-01-2017 09:58 AM
  Water leak in Dartmouth Road robin orton 5 7,415 23-10-2016 11:30 AM
Last Post: robin orton
  Are the new traffic lights at Sydenham Hill causing more problems? hertburs 1 3,636 28-05-2016 06:33 PM
Last Post: nottinghillbilly