SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Shop Shutter Art
AMFM

08-02-2013 03:13 PM

I noticed the shop shutters on Aga's Little Deli last Sunday as I was walking past and thought how much better it looked that any of the other, unadorned, shutters along Dartmouth Road. I know that the pop-up butchers also had/has quite funkily painted shutters.

Is there any way of encouraging other shops on our high streets to follow suit (acknowleding that I have no idea if it's expensive or not?) as I do think it makes a real difference to feel of the area.

Would be great if there were council grants available for such things but I suspect not...

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
alisa

08-02-2013 08:35 PM

funnily enough....

The Forest Hill Society is actively looking at this at the moment. We have a grant from the Local Assembly fund (Forest Hill Ward) to brighten up some shopfronts.

It takes a bit of time and effort as we need to get in touch with landlords, decorators, artists, sort funds etc, but I will let you know when there is more to tell.

We do have the contact details for the artists who did the SEE3/ Nathan the Butcher shop as well as Aga's (not the same people). If anyone is interested, we can hook you up with this information.

I know personally of one other shopkeeper who would like to add a design to their shutters and we plan to go around the other shopkeepers to see if their is interest.

http://www.se23.blogspot.com/
yomster

09-02-2013 09:07 AM

I know a few artists that would be interested in taking part, if this gets the go-ahead.

Y

InTheForest

10-02-2013 06:23 PM

I think they should do this in the subway too. Much better then the water stained plain wall we are going to get if they don't fix the drips!

Anotherjohn

10-02-2013 07:06 PM

Beware of the Conservation Area Gestapo!
All of the shops up as far as the swimming pools are in the new Conservation Area and the planning rules are prohibitive. They're trying to take the place back to ye olde days where twee ruled OK!

Herbert

11-02-2013 10:53 AM

They look great and would really improve the look of the High St outside trading hours. Hopefully FHS can sort something out.

sydenhamcentral

12-02-2013 11:19 AM

Hi Alisa and Yomster,

I PM'd both of you, I'd love to know your contacts for roller shutter artists. We are involved in a number of high street regeneration projects across London.

Please share!

Regards

Lee
(pm me or email me, Richard and Michael have my details, or they are on designedygoodpeople.com).

P1971

12-02-2013 09:37 PM

Awnings would be really nice, and would fit in with Ye Olde days! Would look real old skl if all shops had them. Once upon a time D Rd, London Rd and Kirkdale all had them.

sydenhamcentral

13-02-2013 02:19 PM

We love awnings, p1971.

Not all shops can have them though and the big issue in Forest Hill is that with all the traffic, they can get very very very dirty, so regular maintenance is an issue (always go for a dark awning, always retract it at night).

They have to be decent quality. We are doing lot of awnings for shops at the moment. We had to cast our net further afield and contacted A25 awnings, incredibly they used to be based in Sydenham Road but relocated to Caterham, kent in 2006.

Morco blinds in Greenwich are also very very good.

When we did Billings branding and signage in Sydenham Road we used White Villa who are based near Deptford.

This forum is a good place to share news about signage and suppliers. It's good to share.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields