SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (4): « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] Last »
May mayoral election
roz

03-05-2008 08:28 PM

I just wonder how someone of his background, lifestyle and opinions (hooray henry/public school/Henley/the Spectator- privilege from head to toe) could possibly have any idea of the challenges ordinary Londoners face and be able to deal with them constructively. I'd like to see how he handles the tube unions and engages with people and groups in our diverse city. Ken at least travelled by tube every day to work and queued up like the rest of us. Its done now, and theres no going back, but personally I wonder how long it will be before the chaos strikes as I suspect Boris has probably bitten off more than he can chew.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sherwood

03-05-2008 09:06 PM

Boris' children use the tube to go to school.

Sherwood

03-05-2008 10:09 PM

See this link for a photograph of Mayor Boris using the tube:

http://www.boris-johnson.com/

Sherwood

03-05-2008 10:12 PM

Click on home until the photograph comes up.

roz

03-05-2008 10:37 PM

You're determined on this one, Sherwood.....

Elizabeth25

04-05-2008 07:19 AM

Ultimatley, I think Boris is going to draw up an exectutive commitee to run City Hall. Less of a hands-on mayor than Ken, but maybe some re-assurance that there will be people inside City Hall who have experience with large metropolitian areas. Not a huge confidence boost I understand.

Not to get into politics, but I will miss Ken simple because he seemed to really love London. I don't think anyone can disagree with that, even if they disagree with his policies.

Applespider

04-05-2008 03:24 PM

It's that executive committee that made me think twice about Boris. Who are they? And would I just be voting for a figurehead? I know that Ken also had a team of people but I had the impression that he was a little more hands on.

Having said that Boris is highly intelligent and might just make a good crack at it if he continues to take it seriously. I guess we just have to make the best of it and hope that the outgoing administration are as helpful as Ken seemed to suggest in his speech on Friday so that there's a smooth hand over.

All the rest of us can do is watch, hope for the best and those of us who voted for another candidate can have a good moan if things don't turn out as well... and be ready in four years time. Rolleyes

Baboonery

04-05-2008 10:27 PM

Snazy wrote:
Not sure that every decision he has made has 100% been with Londoners interests at heart. The CC for example is a complete mess in every aspect apart from the fact it raises revenue.

I would agree though it is a case of damned if you do, damned if you dont to a great degree.
With regards to personal goals, he was quoted years ago saying he hates cars and would ban them if he could.
The introduction of the congestion zone was possibly a required thing to happen, but its all been done so badly its hard now to justify it, other than banning them as much as possible from London.

In a green view thats great, in a view taking society into account and social impact, its very different.
The idea to stage CC based on VED was poorly thought through, and VED and congestion could not be futher apart.
Let me get this straight, a London full of low and zero emissions cars would be an uncongested city? Nope, far from it.

So it went from being a sensible solution, to a financial penalty to the commuter and social driver..... AGAIN!

Based on that, I would say he took his personal hatred of cars too far.

Also the rephasing of traffic signals, the closure of the Blackwall Tunnel tidal flow (just before the planned consultation of Blackheath for CC expansion) and the almost deliberate poor road planning that we see all around London.

Just my opinion of course, and just one example of why I think Ken himself was becoming corrupt and distracted from the job in hand.

Would you care to stand up this allegation of corruption, made at the end of your tirade of nonsense? It's a pretty big thing to say about an elected official, so come on, out with it. Or are you just going to go "Boris! LOL!" like the rest of them?

By the way, I see Johnson went to the Sikh New Year festival today. OH NO POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!! ENGLISHNESS NOT ALLOWED!!! IT'S TEH MULTICULTURALISMS!!!

Snazy

04-05-2008 11:48 PM

Baboonery wrote:
Would you care to stand up this allegation of corruption, made at the end of your tirade of nonsense? It's a pretty big thing to say about an elected official, so come on, out with it. Or are you just going to go "Boris! LOL!" like the rest of them?

By the way, I see Johnson went to the Sikh New Year festival today. OH NO POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!! ENGLISHNESS NOT ALLOWED!!! IT'S TEH MULTICULTURALISMS!!!

Honestly......no.

Its my opinion, and I am I believe entitled to it.
If you feel I am breaking a law, please feel free to report me for it Rofl

I think you will also find that I am far from the only person who holds this opinion Smile
Besides, Ken himself said a third term was bad due to corruption did he not..

Boris won, get over it lol

Snazy

04-05-2008 11:51 PM

What part of my reply exactly was a "tirade of nonsense" out of interest? Im curious, because to me it made common sense.

im not going to get into a battle of personal opinions, we are all entitled to them, but shouting people down for having them... now now, thats not very nice now it is :D

Baboonery

05-05-2008 02:32 AM

Borislol!!! Borislol!!! Pathetic. Are you sure you've used enough smilies there?

So you just bandy about terms like corrupt, and come over all 'it's my opinion' when someone challenges you on it. Nice. It was an accusation. Stand it up or withdraw it. Do you often have opinions based on nothing?

And spare me the slightly pathetic 'shouted down/breaking the law for having an opinion' wounded martyr act. The only person shouting you down is yourself, by refusing to defend your 'opinion' against Livingstone. I'm not much of a fan of him myself, but I wouldn't call him corrupt unless I could provide some kind of evidence.

I think your arguments against the Congestion Charge are the usual self-serving, rent-seeking nonsense spouted by the motorist who has grown so accustomed over the last 50 years to the entire country kow-towing to them, that they simply didn't compute when one tiny bit of it decided not to.

100% low emission vehicles wouldn't be great for congestion, no, but how realistic is that? Er, completely unrealistic. And in any case it would have benefits in terms of pollution. Come out from behind your fingers here, but the charge was always intended to be a financial penalty to those who chose to drive into the already car-unfriendly central area: it's not a failure of the charge, it's the whole point.

You see, I thought your post was a tirade of nonsense. You asked me why, I said so. Yes, Johnson won, and good luck to him. I'm quite used to it, thank you very much. Now, why is Ken Livingstone corrupt?

Londondrz

05-05-2008 07:59 AM

Oh Dear! You are a very angry person. Chill out, smile in the sunshineMellow

admin
Administrator

05-05-2008 10:43 AM

Later episodes of the Snazy v Baboonery Show have been shelved as increasingly off-topic.

Snazy

05-05-2008 10:52 AM

Fair play, reply 71 is not exactly friendly either, but hey, its all good. I dont mind people having opinions Smile

Sherwood

05-05-2008 01:09 PM

Why don't we wait and see what sort of job Boris does?
If we don't like it we can vote him out in 2008.

I suspect he will do a better job that Gordon Brown is doing now!
Oh well we can fix that in 2010 (assuming the electorate get an opportunity to vote - something Labour MPs did not get when their new leader was appointed!)

baggydave

05-05-2008 05:39 PM

Hope I am wrong. Had the worst feeling since election night 1992. Result probably influenced loosely by those in the outer boroughs who hate London and Ken (yet have to go into town to earn their six figure salaries) [a shrewd tactic to get them out in their droves, sorry think most probably voted by post as too busy with their job/mistress or non gender specific equivalent], those who were disaffected (irrespective of our one evening paper) and the national move away from Labour.

Odd that we all thought that the buffoon had no chance when he was put up. Let's face it Ken was there for the taking.

Takes me back to NTNN and their C&W rendetion of "I can't believe Ronald Reagan is president" (But I believe that the devil is ready to repent)

brian

07-05-2008 05:52 PM

Please except the man with most support won. No need for saracstic abuse. Give Mayor Boris a chance. I like his policy of banning alcohol on public transport.

Sherwood

07-05-2008 08:06 PM

Boris' total first and second-choice votes was 1,168,738, with Mr Livingstone's overall total 1,028,966.
Deal with it!

I am not sure how some of my colleagues are going to get home if alcohol is banned on public transport!

Pages (4): « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Mayoral election costs samuelsen 4 534 09-03-2024 05:16 PM
Last Post: samuelsen