SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Crystal Palace Park
gemmar

18-10-2007 03:30 PM

Just thought I would post the weblink for info about the Crystal Palace Fireworks display.

http://www.bromley.gov.uk/MeetingsEvents...eworks.htm

This post was last modified: 18-10-2007 03:31 PM by gemmar.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
pattrembath

26-10-2007 02:46 PM

The Exhibition about the Masterplan for Crystal Palace Park which has been submitted to Bromley Council for planning approval has been open to the public for one week now.

It will continue until next Wednesday, 31 October, and is being held in the old Booking Hall next to Crystal Palace Station.

Times of the exhibition are:

Weekdays -7.30 am till 9 pm
Weekends - 10 am - 6 pm

This is the opportunity for everyone interested in the future of this once great park, now very tired and run down, to see the ideas being put forward by the London Development Agency, in conjunction with Masterplanners Latz + Partners, to regenerate the park and also an opportunity to discuss the plans with members of the project development team.

It is also a chance to have a look inside the old station Booking Hall, closed to the public for many years.

Scorpion

26-10-2007 10:34 PM

We watch them for free, from our vantage point in FH lol Not as much atmosphere I know, but I won't buy them or let them off personally and think its silly to "burn money" and the money we save is spent on (some) treats and the rest goes to everyday living.
I hate "bonfire night" (read as - at least one month of noise and burning smell, either side of the 5th of November - let alone waste of money AND danger) - animals and many people have a rough time of it. It would not be so bad if they banned the sale of fireworks APART from to bona-fide organisers of Displays. Would save the emergency services a lot of work too.
Fireworks = pretty, for sure but also = Waste of money,dangerous (in the wrong hands) and annoying (when let off at all hours, everywhere)

Rant over - enjoy the bangs and pretty lights everyone (I like them too, but safe, and far away from, with pennies intact also lol)
Be safe, also.

Sue

RussB

26-10-2007 11:24 PM

I'm not one for banning things because a few people abuse them. But when it comes to fireworks, I can't see the point in buying your own. You spend ?50 on fireworks, you get a few Catherine wheels than don't spin, a volcano thing that's not as good as your screensaver, some rockets that go more pop than bang, and some sparklers.

Give me the public displays every time. They get the huge fireworks that would be illegal for you or me to own. In Clapham they're free, and Crystal Palace is only three quid. For a fiver a head you get dough nuts, sparklers, music and an awesome fireworks display.

Woody
No Longer Registered

01-11-2007 07:31 PM

If you didn't have a chance to visit the exhibition a lot of the information can be viewed on the following website:

http://www.crystalpalacepark.net/

As for the ticket hall (which is a great Victorian building) it is planned that this will come back into public use when the East London Line extension to Crystal Palace is completed. See the video on this website for a glimpse of what it looks like:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/projects.../2111.aspx

baggydave

01-11-2007 10:07 PM

Congrats to the Sydenham Society, Dianne Barker and the Crystal Palace Campaign (including yours truly) who prevented the inappropriate development of the top site early in the naughties. Once the developers had pulled out I lost a bit of interest, but a review that I read recently showed how little respect the London Borough of Bromley paid to local interests, and their legal obligations. For once David overthrew Goliath! http://www.crystal.dircon.co.uk/L39_ecj_cbyrne.htm Anyway hope you all have a chance to look at plans and participate. I personally would have the high level line reinstated.

roz

02-11-2007 08:39 AM

Personally I thought the Crystal Palace ought to have been reinstated in some form, housing art work and also a botanical garden!

Still, its great that things are on the move at last. I started swimming there over 20 years ago and watched the place deteriorate over the years. The heating system was continually breaking down and the pool closed for long periods. It became unpredictable. And now its shut due to asbestos.
The park is nice but always could have been better layout and planting wise ; that central avenue is fantastic. -and you could never find anything nor work out exactly where you where. It took a Bill Bryson book to teach me about the dinosaur parks/ historical importance !
Its a shame that its taken so long, and as pointed out , its future largely frustrated by Bromley Council.

For me this is a cautionary tale about how we let our treasures and public buildings and spaces sink into oblivion and how much potential has been lost. By treasures I don't mean fusty old museums and buildings that are used only by the elite, but something 'living' with a wide range of activities which was widely used by the public and which could have bettered peoples lives had provision and aesthetics been more imaginative. There was undoubtedly lots of revenue generating potential which could have benefited local people.
There was/is a pool, sports centre, physio centre, park, play area,dinosaurs, farm, concert venue, cafe, attractive train station, all which could have been turned into a sporting and cultural gem. Where else do you get such a wide range of things in one space?

Its great that things are happening at last but we need to learn why we as a society continually let our public spaces decline to this state.

calvin

03-11-2007 10:27 AM

What's it like coming back on the train from these? We're thinking of going and will have two exhausted under 5's to bring back.

jalapeno

03-11-2007 04:17 PM

Calvin,

It looks like they have rescheduled this for the 30th November...

http://www.thebestof.co.uk/bromley/news/21597

admin
Administrator

03-11-2007 05:19 PM

That was 2006.

jalapeno

03-11-2007 05:37 PM

Oh yeah.

bell

05-11-2007 01:35 PM

Does anyone know what time the Palace fireworks start? Thanks.

bell

05-11-2007 01:49 PM

doh. just seen link at top of thread. 7.30 then!

shzl400

05-11-2007 04:41 PM

We went to a display at a local pub - loads of fireworks, huge bonfire, beer, reasonably priced BBQ, drinks, clean loos, very child friendly, no huge crowds, more beer, no fascists confiscating sparklers - oh, and did I mention the beer?

On the way back, we passed the fire station at approx. 9.30 - all three vehicles were "at home", so maybe not such a busy night for them as you might think!

bjm

24-10-2008 05:24 PM

LIBRARY STAFF PLAY ?RICHARD AND JUDY? TO MAKE READING ?COOL?!

Author Julie Myerson visits Crystal Palace.

Writer Julie Myerson, author of eight novels including ?Laura Blundy?,? The Story of You? and ?Out of Breath? will be talking about her work and specifically the book that was long-listed for the ManBooker Prize -?Something Might Happen? - at the Upper Norwood Joint Library on Thursday 30th of October at 7.30 pm.
The Observer called the book ?A stunning frightener of a novel. This is a tour de force, the best novel Julie Myerson has written - and that is saying something?..?

Julie writes for a number of national newspapers including ?The Independent? and is a regular guest on BBC2?s ?Newsnight Review?. She completed her first non-fiction title ?Home: The Story of Everyone Who Has Ever Lived in our House? in 2004.

?Something Might Happen? has also been selected as the featured novel in the first ever ?Crystal Palace Park and Read? promotion that runs until December 13th. This event sees library staff taking on the role of ?Richard and Judy? by highlighting featured titles and challenging the whole of Crystal Palace to read the same book during the same two months period.

Upper Norwood is set to become one gigantic reading group, with opportunities to meet authors, reviews and promotions, a quiz based on the featured book (with twelve prizes - kindly provided by the Upper Norwood Library Campaign - and a first prize of ?100 for the winner) and multiple copies to borrow or buy.

This is a Crystal Palace-specific initiative and the first time that such an event has been staged in this part of South London.

FURTHER INFORMATION: Bradley Millington (Chief Librarian ? Upper Norwood Joint Library, 39-41 Westow Hill, London SE19 1TJ. The library is 10 minutes walk from either Crystal Palace or Gipsy Hill railway stations. Telephone: 020 8670 2551.

FREE ADMISSION BY TICKET IN ADVANCE OR ON THE NIGHT.
REFRESHMENTS WILL BE AVAILABLE.

wendy

27-05-2009 04:31 AM

Make sure that none of the Park is lost to commercial interests.

Crystal Palace Park is not only a wonderful piece of open space, it is historically interesting - find out the latest plans on the Friends of Crystal Palace website

http:cpca.org.uk

I can't find anything very up to date on the London Development Agency (who now control the planning) but has some useful information

http://www.lda.gov.uk

DerbyHillTop

20-01-2011 04:36 PM

Just seen the news on CP FC.

http://www.cpfc.co.uk/page/News/0,,10323...69,00.html

No problem with the club wanting to move in the park, but am uneasy about changes to the existing pools.

Does aquatic centre assume 50m pool inside?

andrewr

20-01-2011 05:44 PM

I'd like to think the plan is to build a new indoor aquatic centre complete with 50m Olympic Pool. It would be unfortunate if the country was to lose one of its few 50m pools. I did hear there were more 50m pools in Paris than in the whole of the UK although this may not be true ...

DerbyHillTop

20-01-2011 10:08 PM

there were more 50m pools in Belgrade (Serbia) than in the whole UK.

And I have only heard of one Serbian swimmer (who lives in USA)

brian

22-01-2011 12:59 PM

I think we should all be educated enough to know where Belgrade is especially after NATO's agressive was against the poor Serbs.

Maybe the number of Pools because they are landlocked after Montenegran departure.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Disposal of Crystal Palace Park - comments by 6th April samuelsen 0 1,744 03-04-2023 01:18 PM
Last Post: samuelsen
  Threat again to residental development at Crystal Palace Park Herbparis 0 3,539 02-03-2020 12:47 PM
Last Post: Herbparis
  Crystal Palace videos from the Londonist Ligersaur 6 7,692 06-04-2016 11:28 AM
Last Post: Ligersaur
  Primary School for Crystal Palace Park michael 1 4,479 15-10-2014 12:52 PM
Last Post: rshdunlop
  Jurassic Park to come to Crystal Palace michael 3 5,628 01-04-2014 07:09 PM
Last Post: Ponyboy
  Crystal Palace Park Project: drop-in sessions this Satuday Tim Lund 8 8,441 25-02-2014 01:11 PM
Last Post: michael
  Petition to save Crystal Palace park from development P1971 7 8,144 31-01-2014 06:18 PM
Last Post: Tim Lund
  Deacon Blue music video filmed in Crystal Palace david.lathwell 0 4,268 07-11-2012 05:22 PM
Last Post: david.lathwell
  Search lights on Crystal Palace transmitter nottinghillbilly 6 8,394 21-04-2012 08:01 AM
Last Post: shzl400
  Crystal Palace One O Clock Club may close Jane2 1 5,524 21-01-2012 09:59 PM
Last Post: roz
  What if the Crystal Palace Cinema... sydenhamcentral 19 22,191 11-09-2011 08:22 PM
Last Post: sydenhamcentral
  New Crystal Palace Craft Market Becca 0 3,626 28-07-2011 03:34 PM
Last Post: Becca
  Trams to Crystal Palace? michael 6 8,615 28-03-2011 03:23 PM
Last Post: Zimmerman
  A Cinema for Crystal Palace? ivor 14 17,577 15-07-2009 02:54 PM
Last Post: sydenhamcentral
  The Alma, Crystal Palace soulrider 0 3,711 26-05-2009 10:53 AM
Last Post: soulrider