SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Early morning flight path
Scotslass

29-01-2013 01:22 PM

This is quoted from the Brockly forum but affects Forest Hill also :

" there is currently an arrivals pilot scheme (pardon the pun!) being run by Heathrow at the moment. The effect of this is that Brockley is under one of the Boxes of areas which is now experiencing more aircraft passing by, starting from as early as 4.30am. This trial period started on 5 November 2012 which fits in exactly with the disturbances I , and some neighbours have experienced, which seem to be getting worse. It is due to compete in March 2013 although if it is considered a success it may become permanent.

We need as many people as possible who live in the area and are experiencing this disruption (or who simply want to support their neighbours) to log their complaints by calling this number: 0800 344844 or at noise_complaints@baa.com

Suggest all those who want this "trial" where we get disproportionately more of the early flights lodge their complaints before the trial is over and we get it permanently

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cheeky

29-01-2013 02:40 PM

In my opinion this is not true for Forest Hill at all, I would urge everybody to ignore the previous comment as since the early morning trial has begun it has actually shifted the flight path away from Forest Hill closer to Brockley so a lot less planes fly over us. It may seem a short distance but it makes a big difference in noise.

People may have heard a few flights overhead this morning however since November the vast majority of flights have been avoiding skies directly above us.

I've no doubt other people have an opinion on this and it would be interesting to hear what other people have thought of early morning flights over the last couple of months, have they increased or decreased? I think they have decreased considerably. If others agree, I would urge no one to log any complaints at all. This trial benefits us!!!

This is a Brockley problem, NOT a Forest Hill problem

Tinkerbell

29-01-2013 10:05 PM

Cheeky, you do realise that parts of SE23 are directly bordering Brockley and hence may get to experience a lot more of your "Brockley, not Forest Hill" problem?

Cheeky

30-01-2013 09:06 AM

I'm fully aware, living the HOP end of Forest Hill myself (you should know that more than most after the topics we have discussed on this forum).

All I ask is for people to make their own mind up, hence:

"it would be interesting to hear what other people have thought of early morning flights over the last couple of months, have they increased or decreased?"

....and not just follow blindly what someone has written through reading some other forum that may be detremental to their own peace and quiet.

What about you Tinkerbell, do you think the early morning flights have increased or decreasd over the last couple of months?

Yasmine

30-01-2013 10:53 PM

I don't see why people should disregards someone's comment at the request of another forum member.

I have been noticing considerable more airplane noise in the past few months. Even discussed that with my husband very recently; and we live in Forest Hill, not Brockley. I shall definitely write to make my views known and complain and would like to thank Scotlass for bringing this issue up here for those, like me, who could not understand why there were more low flying planes in the area all of a sudden.

Cheeky

31-01-2013 08:57 AM

I don't see why either Yasmine, I certainly wouldn't. I'd make my own mind up and make an educated decision based on what I have personally experienced, as you seem to have done.

Londondrz

31-01-2013 09:42 AM

The BA flight from Singapore is like an early morning alarm call.

oryx

31-01-2013 01:00 PM

I've definitely noticed more plane noise recently, and it was terrible early yesterday morning. I am in the Honor Oak Park area.

I'm going to email them. Thanks for the link, Scotslass.

Tinkerbell

19-06-2015 06:29 AM

Since around January, I noticed more noise again (not because of open windows). Feels a bit like my house is now exactly under the LCY flight path. From c.6 am, I can inspect dust on the under-carriage. Went into the garden at 6.30 am this morning for an early coffee, and counted 6 chem trails nicely lined up. Sorry, just a frustrated rant - I know it won't make any difference. And yes, it does get a lot better after around 7.30 (and starts again for the late afternoon/early evening flights), and no, I know it's not as bad as in Kew/Richmond. But, going back to the original post, I do find the shift in flight paths is noticeable at the HOP end.

Ligersaur

19-06-2015 10:24 AM

I recently flew into Heathrow (transatlantic) and the plane was put in a holding pattern while waiting for a landing slot. I passed over Forest Hill three times in total before landing. Most of my transatlantic flights into LHR over the last 18 months have involved holding patterns over London.

I wonder if congestion at LHR actually adds to aircraft noise pollution for the local area.

Should we be campaigning for a Gatwick expansion?

John Daker

19-06-2015 12:17 PM

I complained to Heathrow about early morning jet noise a few months back and received the usual explanations along with a beautiful diagram showing plots of all the arrivals and departures on the day I complained about. On that day most were north of the river which is interesting.
Its the very early arrivals that bother me most not the evening flights.

Snazy

19-06-2015 02:53 PM

This might be a bit of a daft suggestion, but worth putting out there.

For anyone bothered by the flights over the area, and wishing to make a note of any particular times / flights etc. May I suggest an app for tablet or smartphone, or the equivalent website http://www.flightradar24.com (app available from app stores)

This will give you close to live tracking of exactly where the plane is passing over, its tail number, and flight number. As well as altitude, speed etc.

A lot more helpful than relying on what information you are given after the event has occurred.
See example below.

Personally, while I notice a lot coming over, I am usually unbothered by it. Not saying that everyone should be the same.

Re holding patterns, I believe it depends on a number of factors where said stacks are formed, but today for example, LHR's one is clear.

This post was last modified: 19-06-2015 02:58 PM by Snazy.

John Daker

19-06-2015 03:05 PM

My point was unintended consequence of complaining was the arrival of a wonderful map of all the flights from one day plotted across the city - like one of the pages from 'The information capital' book (which I heartily recommend to all who are not familiar with it).
If only the quality of the plot they sent had been up to it I would have had it as a print on the wall.
I felt better for complaining but had no expectation it would elicit any change.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Flight Path FireSnake 19 15,677 21-05-2014 06:14 PM
Last Post: jollyrog