SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Cobb's Sydenham
Theotherbrian

25-04-2008 04:40 PM

Does anyone know when Cobb's department store in Sydenham closed? During a conversation with friends, this came up but although having vague recollections of it being open in the mid-70's, we drew a blank as to when it finally gave up the ghost. Many thanks to whoever can provide the details.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
stevegrindlay

25-04-2008 05:05 PM

Cobb's began trading in 1861 and finally closed down in 1981.

For a random selection of items on local history visit my blog at:
http://sydenhamforesthillhistory.blogspot.com/
baggydave

25-04-2008 08:26 PM

There was a radio 4 series called the Penge Papers - I was probably too young or not interested to listen to it, but I later read about it, that featured a department store based on Cobbs. Either from that, or from what I heard elsewhere, the staff outnumbered the shoppers. But this was not what influenced Grace Brothers.

Actually just done a search - I am sure this was a radio programme but apparently not.

See http://forum.sydenham.org.uk/viewtopic.p...3b4bf758a2 if this link works for far more

stevegrindlay

25-04-2008 09:44 PM

You're right, BD, Penge Papers has a whole chapter on what the author, Brian Wright, calls "Chubb's". It is a delightful description of the department store in its declining years. And, according to the dust jacket, it was originally broadcast on Radio 3.

For a random selection of items on local history visit my blog at:
http://sydenhamforesthillhistory.blogspot.com/
brian

26-04-2008 02:24 PM

I remember the posh tea/coffee shop in the late 50's. It was the place to be seen .

Also they had amazing method of collecting money. The staff had to put cash from shopper in metal cannister which then went up on tracks to the accounts dept in the roof and a couple of mins later the change came back.

Theotherbrian

28-04-2008 04:06 PM

Thanks for the information.

blueyes

29-04-2008 06:22 PM

I remember going to Cobb's in the early 70's to see Santa & have photos taken. They had a great toy department. There was a great lingerie & make up department too. ahhhh

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields