SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Shovel then Salt
rshdunlop

18-01-2013 07:58 AM

If we get a decent covering of snow, do please get out and clear footpaths outside your home if you can. It makes all the difference. We all remember how treacherous frozen snow is, right?

Just remember to do it right: Shovel then Salt.

The salt is important - it stops any black ice forming after you have cleared the path, and if it snows a bit more, it will melt, so your work is not in vain.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
lacb

18-01-2013 04:50 PM

Completely agree with this. The only part I would add to rshdunlop's excellent advice is to try and do a neighbour's footpath if you can too.

So, as I was shovelling away, a lady passing asked permission to take my picture as "she had never seen anyone do that before".

Tells me that the message has a long way to go yet...

rshdunlop

18-01-2013 05:00 PM

Just finished doing mine. People stopped and stared, quite a few thanked me for clearing the public footpath (which was nice). It didn't take long.

I saw council workers driving around with their flat bed trucks today depositing piles of grit at various points along the road. Hopefully this is for the street cleaners to use on the footpaths.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Winter is Coming - Get the Salt In! andrewr 20 25,454 04-02-2012 05:36 PM
Last Post: shzl400