SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (15): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next > Last »
Horniman Museum and Gardens
vipes

22-02-2008 04:12 PM

Londondrz wrote:
Without being elitist it is only a Cafe! If it was setting itself up as a Bistro or a Fine Dining club then I would agree with you but it's a bog standard cafe in a museum.

Had coffee in their on Fri and found it pleasant enough.

Perhaps "stellar" is too strong a term, conjuring up 3 Michelin star standards and all that but why should it be "bog standard"? The museum's not. Its a jewel. I'm just suggesting its cafe should be recognised for similar qualities to the museum - expense not being one of them.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Londondrz

22-02-2008 04:19 PM

vipes wrote:
Perhaps "stellar" is too strong a term, conjuring up 3 Michelin star standards and all that but why should it be "bog standard"? The museum's not. Its a jewel. I'm just suggesting its cafe should be recognised for similar qualities to the museum - expense not being one of them.

True but then the museum needs to make it's money somewhere I suppose. Mind you I just spent ?32 on 6 lattes in the City so by comparrison it's good value.

roz

23-02-2008 11:52 AM

Its a wasted opportunity both to provide good food and to make money, given the excellent location and cafe decor which is really nice. I sent back a lasagne last week as it was really diabolical. Even if free it would have been lousy value.
It should not be too difficult to make decent sandwiches or basic lunches - the cafe in Dulwich Park does a good job and people know that at least their lunch will be edible. Why put up with c**p. The French wouldn't.

brian

23-02-2008 02:15 PM

I too have not been happy with this cafe. The Lemon Grove much more classy.
My main complaint is it despite the prices fare not up market and usually children running amok.

vipes

23-02-2008 07:07 PM

Yes, the majority of what they serve appears to be reheated by microwave. When they tendered out to the folk running the cafe the museum managers clearly did not make a decision based on the quality of the food they would serve or they'd surely have sued. I suspect in a rare moment of disregard for attention to detail they put profit ahead of their public.

Give them their due though the staff are incredibly child-tolerant and the place is always clean.

The food is equivalent in price and quality to the average motorway service station. It is not befitting and it's nice to know I'm not alone in thinking it. If there's a consensus view on this thread I'll email the Horniman with a link.

bigjulie

23-02-2008 09:47 PM

the children running amok should stick to the pubs..

seeformiles

26-02-2008 07:18 PM

yeah but the manager is handsome and charming (if he's still working there?) so I don't mind. Smile)

Butterfield8

26-02-2008 08:16 PM

vipes wrote:
Yes, the majority of what they serve appears to be reheated by microwave. When they tendered out to the folk running the cafe the museum managers clearly did not make a decision based on the quality of the food they would serve or they'd surely have sued. I suspect in a rare moment of disregard for attention to detail they put profit ahead of their public.

Give them their due though the staff are incredibly child-tolerant and the place is always clean.

The food is equivalent in price and quality to the average motorway service station. It is not befitting and it's nice to know I'm not alone in thinking it. If there's a consensus view on this thread I'll email the Horniman with a link.

Oh!! Oh!! Oh!!! steady on Vipes!!! motorway service station!!!! i don't think so!!!
The cafe is a great place i take my kids there all the time we always eat there and the food is fine as im not expecting 5 star!!! like Londondrz said its a cafe!!! and a really nice one at that!

vipes

26-02-2008 10:27 PM

I'm not suggesting it should be 5 star Butterfield8. As I thought I'd made pretty clear...

vipes wrote:
I'm just suggesting its cafe should be recognised for similar qualities to the museum - expense not being one of them.

My ire was fuelled having spent ?7 on a bottle of a (never-heard-of-it-brand) mineral water, a tuna (soggy) baguette and a (processed) ham and (rubber) cheese (stale) sandwich.

I'm sorry, but using the term "fine" to describe the food suggests to me that even you concede the food is little more than acceptable. There are precedents for superior food at equivalent prices in countless park and high street cafes within a 2 mile radius of the Horniman - one within a five minute walk.

brian

27-02-2008 08:16 AM

Mineral water. Should have asked for tap water.think of the environment

Butterfield8

27-02-2008 10:58 AM

vipes wrote:
I'm sorry, but using the term "fine" to describe the food suggests to me that even you concede the food is little more than acceptable. There are precedents for superior food at equivalent prices in countless park and high street cafes within a 2 mile radius of the Horniman - one within a five minute walk.

When i say "fine" i mean really fine ,i certainly DO NOT concede the food is little more than acceptable, the bottom line is if you are really not happy with the place, simple! don't go there!!!

vipes

27-02-2008 01:09 PM

Butterfield8 wrote:
if you are really not happy with the place, simple! don't go there!!!

Thanks for the advice Butterfield8. And for those who don't like drivers coming the wrong way down Manor Mount, I assume simple, don't walk on Manor Mount. And for those who don't like the look of an ugly looking planning application, I assume simple, stop looking at it. And for those who are unhappy about dog muck on the pavements, I assume simple, don't walk on pavements.

Butterfield8

27-02-2008 01:51 PM

LOLOL!! I think our conversation is at an end!!!!!!!!!!!!

vipes

28-02-2008 02:26 PM

Not sure what LOLOL stands for.

The implication in your suggestion was that the solution to not liking something should be to stop doing it. This is a forum - an assembly for open discussion. Applying your logic would mean we're left with bikes to sell and and people posting to say they slept through an earthquake. The main point of a community forum like this, surely, is to seek change where there's consensus that it would benefit the majority.

I feel, as Roz and Brian do, that better food at the Horniman is desirable. You and Londonrz don't. 3 to 2 is not a majority that would mean much to those who could do anything about it. So I won't try. Phew.

shzl400

28-02-2008 02:59 PM

I've never had a problem with the food at the Horniman Cafe - but then you can't go far wrong with a cup of tea, cartons of drink, muffins and ice creams. I wouldn't have thought it would be a venue for a main meal and this may be where it is perceived to be going wrong. It should stick to cafe-type food - cakes, sandwiches, maybe salads, maybe paninis etc. but not go for hot meals.

As regards price, I'd say it compares very favourably with the sort of prices you might pay in town and I don't begrudge the Horniman a bit of crosss-subsidy, as it is a great FREE museum!

ruthb

28-02-2008 03:21 PM

The only experience I have had of eating at the Horniman was absolutely superb - but then it was my wedding and a catering co were in charge...our guests couldn't believe how wonderful the food was! I guess it wouldn't be cost effective to get a local caterer involved with the food on a daily basis at the Horniman?

Dylan

03-03-2008 05:17 PM

I doubt if the Museum make any money out of the cafe the same with the shop they rent out the space, have always found the staff
really great they take the trouble to get to know regulars its very
child friendly you can always sit in the Conservatory if you can't stand the noise

seeformiles

03-03-2008 07:26 PM

Brian does raise a valid point. One again no one is allowed to say that some parents do let their children race around the cafe like it's a playground. I stopped going there after a few near misses after kids ran into my legs and nearly tripped me up while I was carrying trays of hot drinks. No apologies from the parents and no attempt to control their children. Had I dropped the tray on them I would've been pilloried and run out of town. This isn't an excuse to have a go at FH parents - I just think it's fair to let people make their observations.
You're right about one thing - the Horniman Cafe staff are incredibly tolerant.

davyj1

05-03-2008 10:21 PM

I think this thread highlights an inexplicable characteristic of the British, that when it comes to the catering services people here seem only too ready to pay through the nose for food that most other nationalities would never accept.

Coming back to London after spending some time in Australia or NZ or the US to name a few it's just embarrassing what places generally get away with here and the amazing thing is that everyone seems happy to pay for it. London truly is the rip-off capital of the world and unfortunately as long as people intend to carry on paying joke prices for re-heated, tasteless, substandard food then it will carry on that way and we will rightfully be the 'catering laughing stock' of the world.

Just about any other country you go to there is suddenly so much more choice and value and care about the catering whether it's a corner cafe or a city centre foodhall.

I know I'm expanding the discussion a bit here from the Horniman Cafe but i just wish people here would demand better quality and value from the catering services and not be so willing to be ripped off for things like hot chocolate that usually tastes like milk and dishwater.

vipes

06-03-2008 09:10 AM

Yes. It really does take a trip abroad (with exceptions) to realise how high our tolerance is for rubbish food at this level of establishment. The quality of the food sold in the Horniman cafe and its (sometimes passionate) defence on this thread perhaps epitomise this national forbearance.

Pages (15): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Horniman Museum to open until 9pm once a month rbmartin 0 368 25-03-2024 06:36 PM
Last Post: rbmartin
  Car Crashed through fence in Horniman gardens nottinghillbilly 2 2,077 19-04-2023 04:55 PM
Last Post: samuelsen
  Horniman Gardens on BBC Gardeners' World StuartG 0 2,389 07-08-2022 11:28 AM
Last Post: StuartG
  The Original Jerk Cookout @ The Horniman Gardens 31st July 2021 samuelsen 0 2,700 17-06-2021 05:05 PM
  Feedback on the Horniman ideas for the future of the Museum and Gardens HornimanMuseum 12 9,505 30-07-2019 02:42 PM
  Arts Award Summer School for Young People at the Horniman Museum HornimanMuseum 0 3,881 23-07-2018 02:20 PM
Last Post: HornimanMuseum
  Florence and the Machine and the roof of the Horniman Museum michael 1 4,747 01-07-2018 04:20 PM
Last Post: hillview
  Horniman Museum review in The Guardian website BigED 0 3,372 28-06-2018 11:49 AM
Last Post: BigED
  Farmers' market in the Horniman Gardens isaglanzer 218 176,572 18-09-2014 03:17 PM
Last Post: michael
  Horniman Gardens works roz 32 35,427 06-08-2013 12:43 PM
  Horniman Museum & Popup Butchers on Londonist Out Loud RussB 0 4,084 07-12-2012 08:07 PM
Last Post: RussB
  Library at the Horniman Museum orange 11 11,523 22-03-2012 04:15 PM
Last Post: orange
  1934 Horniman Museum poster ruthb 2 6,919 18-10-2011 09:47 AM
Last Post: ruthb
  Any Film Of Horniman Museum? yomster 0 3,855 11-08-2011 11:10 AM
Last Post: yomster
  Horniman Museum Funding SpringCat 27 29,713 18-11-2010 02:55 PM
  Horniman Museum Entrance Closed Thistleblower 2 5,490 21-07-2010 05:08 PM
Last Post: Les
  Should the Jerk Cookout be at Horniman Gardens? admin 4 8,631 17-08-2009 12:21 PM
Last Post: roz
  Picnic in Horniman Gardens - Sunday, June 7th michael 6 11,403 07-06-2009 04:00 PM
Last Post: robwinton