SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Robbery honor oak park - be alert
HannahD

12-01-2013 03:12 PM

Just to let you know that my husband was robbed by 5 youths last night at 8pm on the corner of Devonshire road and boveney road. He was told to hand over his mobile or he'd get stabbed. Seems like they followed him from the station. I really don't want to come across as alarmist but we just want everyone to be extra vigilant and to take extra care when coming home from the station. I have to say the police were absolutely amazing though and were on the scene in seconds.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
kipya

12-01-2013 05:13 PM

I have to say that this is pretty unnerving - I walk up from the station at all times in the evening. I have also noticed that there are no lights on the west side of Devonshire Road between Honor Oak Park and Boveney Road. I have often thought that in the gloom, between the parked cars and the hedges of the houses there was a good spot for unobserved mugging.

Poppy9560

12-01-2013 05:21 PM

may be worth contacting the local councillor and asking for better lighting

nottinghillbilly

13-01-2013 12:59 AM

Were the youths in question on bikes and roller skates?
I ask because recently I've noticed gatherings of youths (about four or five of them) around forest hill station in the late evening milling around on bikes and roller skates.
They're teens and wearing the usual hoodies

Perryman

13-01-2013 03:28 PM

I personally think Lewisham's policy of only lighting one side of the road very very questionable.
Is there any research to suggest that this practice is safe in urban areas?

rshdunlop

13-01-2013 05:32 PM

The policy of lighting alternate stretches on opposite sides of the road is not new - Mayow Road has it already, with the old sodium lights. But because the old lights are more diffuse it feels (to me) that the light spreads further so the effect is less noticeable.

I don't know whether it is Lewisham 'policy' as such. I assume that it is decided by the lighting engineers.

As can be seen from these posts, some people like the new lights, some don't. I don't like the new lights on Sunderland Road at all, but at least two people here disagree with me. So it is in some ways subjective. It may also depend on whether you are walking or driving. I only ever drive on Sunderland Road and Church Rise, and don't like the new lights there. By contrast, I have walked along some side roads off Mayow Road in the dark and those with new lights feel very safe, with no dark spots.

Sherwood

13-01-2013 08:19 PM

I like the new lights. They are better than the old lights. But I don't like the pattern of lights on one side of the road only. It creates areas of darkness.

kipya

13-01-2013 11:21 PM

I don't like the new lights. I was quite happy with the old ones, which always seemed bright enough to me. My house now has every room lit throughout the night with a lamppost at the front and another at the back. I guess that the Council or Skanska would consider that merely 'collateral damage'. However, giving me 24 hour lighting is not actually what the new street light policy is supposed to be for, and redirecting some of this to the rather dark area of Devonshire Road might be.

Over a period of time there have been reports of a number of incidents around HOP station, but it seems there is not very much attention given to these other than in the posts to this site.

We have tried to set up a Neighbourhood Watch scheme in the area, but the SNT now appear not to be answering any calls. I suppose the next move will have to be DIY, or 'Big Society' depending on which side of the argument one might sit.

HannahD

14-01-2013 09:28 AM

This doesn't really have anything to do with the new lights vs old lights debate. Where the robbery took place there are old lights and they're only on one side of the road. It's not particularly well lit. Agreed it could be something to be raised with the a local councillor.

lacb

14-01-2013 10:36 AM

Yes and am not sure if this has anything to do with lights. Am much more concerned about the crime committed as the perpetrators were clearly not put off by the proximity to a main road even.

I do hope your husband is ok HannahD.

HannahD

14-01-2013 10:50 AM

Thanks lacb - he is okay. Just a bit angry!
Nottinghillbilly - they weren't on bikes/roller skates so not sure it's the same people.

Fjgb

14-01-2013 11:15 AM

Was this at the first Entrance to boveney rd near the flats?

HannahD

14-01-2013 11:36 AM

Yes it was

Perryman

14-01-2013 01:05 PM

I was talking generally about the problem of only lighting one side of the road.
I guess this specific darkened stretch of Devonshire Rd will benefit greatly when the new lampposts are more widely installed, as the muggers will have free reign, under cover, over a much wider area.

Perhaps we would be better off with no lights at all, as currently they can see us but we can't see them.
We are going to have to monitor this carefully.

Nick M

14-01-2013 06:21 PM

Was your husband using his phone when he was robbed?

HannahD

14-01-2013 07:39 PM

Hi, no he wasn't using his phone. It was in his coat pocket.

Swashbuckler

14-01-2013 09:16 PM

Not the first time I have heard of mobile phone theft on Devonshire Road, as a friend of mine had a similar experience during the daytime a few months back. Feels like a range of responses are required - the lighting could be improved, greater council and community focus upon safety for that part of the road (and SE23 as a whole), and as you point out, our own alertness to this kind of event. Come on SE23ers, there's so much good stuff going on here at the moment, anything else we can do to support a friend unfortunate to be in the wrong place at the wrong time? Any suggestions on who we can "badger" amongst the authorities?

nottinghillbilly

14-01-2013 11:22 PM

Where I used to live In West London, there were always community support officers in evidence throughout the day, and also into the night, with car patrols after about 10pm.
I must admit in the two years I've lived in SE23 I dont think I've seen community support officers anywhere other than at Forest Hill station,
I think that having regular patrols acts as a deterrent and makes the area feel safer.
Thats just my opinion.
And yes, good street lighting is also very impotant

Tersie

15-01-2013 09:11 AM

This is worrying - we all need to be on the look out for suspicious groups. I think the presence of police on patrol on evenings would be a good thing too. I hope your husband is ok.

lacb

15-01-2013 11:00 AM

Tersie - I agree. People being targetted at the station is a big concern and agree with nottinghillbilly that apart from actual attendance at a crime have not seen many patrols there.

I notice that the station itself is on the cusp of 3 different Safer Neighbourhood Teams - Forest Hill, Crofton Park and Peckham Rye. I have contacted Forest Hill who have noted the issue and will let the other teams know too. I did suggest that they could co-ordinate patrols (but am privately not sure how likely that is) - it probably wouldn't hurt to raise the issue directly with other teams?

This post was last modified: 15-01-2013 11:01 AM by lacb.

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Robbery alert BleuPeep 0 3,615 21-09-2017 04:24 PM
Last Post: BleuPeep
  Crime Alert Message - robbery between Sunderland Road and Trilby Road Tim Lund 28 33,387 02-12-2014 04:33 PM
Last Post: Snazy