SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
The Rosemary Beetle is back!
Jane2

22-04-2008 08:03 PM

Some of you might remember last year there was a bit of a problem with rosemary beetle in Forest Hill. It also attacks other herbs like lavender and thyme.

Anyway I have just noticed that the dreaded little critters are back and chomping their way through my lovely rosemary plants. The beetles themselves are fairly easy to spot but it's the larvae that are the problem and they are much harder to spot - little grey grub-like things that attach themselves to the stalk of the plant.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/Advice/profiles020...beetle.asp

Last year I managed to keep it under control by picking them off by hand and squashing them. If you leave them they can soon turn a lovely plant into a pile of stalks. Keep an eye on your plants!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Londondrz

23-04-2008 08:36 AM

Try Crocus.com as they have some very good natural bug killers.

roz

23-04-2008 10:21 AM

Thanks for the warning, I had forgotten about this. We lost most of our plants the year before due to this and I was thinking of getting some more this year as I love the smell. Will also try and seek out some natural remedies. Wigglywigglers also do a good range.

shzl400

23-04-2008 05:34 PM

Oooh, they are pretty, though, aren't they! I made that mistake with Lily beetles (bright red) and ended up with stumps - D'oh! So I'll watch for these, as I have both rosemary and thyme in my garden...

The Bug Doctor

24-04-2008 09:07 AM

Hi, The Entomology Department at the John Innes Centre in Norwich (NR4 7UH) is asking for live Rosemary Leaf Beetles to be sent to them for a research project. The project is looking at natural plant oils for controlling this new pest to the UK. They are also monitoring its spread. Specimens can be sent in small containers such as an old plastic film cannister with a vent hole in the lid.
Here's a press article on the request:
http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/content/A...3A53%3A070

michael

24-04-2008 09:42 AM

Why can't they attack Japanese knotweed rather than herbs?
Sad

Jane2

24-04-2008 10:09 AM

I picked a load off my plant yesterday and have squashed them all (they make a bit of a mess), but I am sure I'll find some more to send off to the John Innes centre - they can gladly have them!! Last year I found some on my sage plants too so must remember to check those as well.

I haven't used any pesticides so far because we do use the plant for cooking a lot, and I actually quite enjoy picking them all off by hand....

And yes, I agree with you, why isn't there some new beetle that eats Japanese Knotweed???

Geoff

20-05-2008 10:17 AM

Thanks Jane2, I was not aware of the rosemary beetlle until I read this thread.I have just removed(permanently) 20 beetles.I also got caught out last year with the good looking red beetle on my lilies which I left on because they were attractive,only to be left with just stalks.

thenutfield

02-06-2008 02:12 PM

just spent the last few days picking and squashing! I feel a bit sorry for them - they dont put up much of a fight - but they are nibbling the best bits off my lavender. They seem to prefer lavender to my Rosemary.

keep up the good fight, SE23!

thenutfield

15-03-2009 02:08 AM

they are here again - check your rosemary and lavender bushes. They love to nibble the new growth.

Jane2

15-03-2009 10:34 AM

Yes I found some on my rosemary plants this week too - mating ones as well, the cheek of it! Now thoroughly squashed.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields