SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
What is that smell??
dartmouth

05-09-2012 02:06 PM

Apologies if this has been raised before, but I was wondering whether anyone knew what the smell is that can often be smelt in the early morning around central Forest Hill? I would describe it to be not unlike the smell of goldfish food flakes (obscure I know but its the best thing I can think of). Its certainly fishy and slightly nauseating. I never notice it during the day but on a cold-ish morning, there is a definate hint of something around the station and town centre.....

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nottinghillbilly

05-09-2012 09:15 PM

funny you mention that but I smelt a similar smell last night around the station, I at first thought someone had peed on the footbridge but then the smell continued beyond the immediate vicinity and no-it was'nt coming from me!

Redalways

05-09-2012 09:34 PM

If it is at the station then it is the de icer they use - smells like ammonia though it is usually in the winter !

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

05-09-2012 09:58 PM

Seaweed plant food watered into the various flower tubs?

mgmonkey

04-01-2013 02:17 PM

This smell is still about.

When waiting on platform two in the mornings it can make me feel a bit sick.

Smell like really greasy stinky fried fish.

I think it may be coming from or near to the Forest Hill Industrial Estate as when I have collected a few parcels before Christmas it was very strong around by the parcel office.

Me no likey! Thumbdown

michael

04-01-2013 02:34 PM

I recently found out where the station store their de-icer / grit. The answer is in plastic bags in the open air just to the south of the underpass. If you look through the railings you can see them piled up in the open air storage area.
Could this be the cause?

SEN

05-01-2013 09:05 AM

I used to walk down the path beside the railway track from Sydenham Park to WH Smith. There's a light industrial unit, part way down, which always smelt just like the descriptions - greasy fishy smell. I thought it might be something like processing used cooking oil.

Guess if the wind is in the right (wrong?) direction it could reach the station.

robin orton

05-01-2013 02:53 PM

The smell I often get from the industrial unit when I walk the dog along the path by the railway earlyish on weekend mornings seems to me to be more heavy and sweet, like a brewery or a sugar refinery.

tfm33

07-01-2013 09:35 AM

I wrote a post about this several months ago, but it received no replies at the time. I have often been intrigued by food smells in the area. I too recognise the fishy smell (it reminded me of cat food), and also the more pleasant sweet smell that Robin mentions. This one sometimes smells like sweet buns being baked, or possibly coffee being roasted – lovely!

michael

11-01-2013 09:32 AM

I've got another theory, although I doubt it is a new one.
Opposite the station is the Jolly Bee, a jolly good fish and chip shop. Last night as I left the station I noticed the fishy smell. With the cold weather it was clear to see steam coming out above the fish shop (in front and behind). Perhaps better filters on their air extraction system would cure the problem?

mgmonkey

11-01-2013 09:49 AM

I smell it at 8:15am, when waiting for a train. Would Jolly Bee be frying fish at that time?

michael

11-01-2013 10:39 AM

It is possible that there are different smells from different sources and at different times of day. Is there any way we can post samples on the forum.

For everybody reading the forum who is thinking of moving to Forest Hill, don't worry about these smell(s), you really will hardly notice them, which is why we are having so much difficulty working out what is happening.

Glasshalffull

11-01-2013 12:18 PM

If the owners of the Jolly Bee read this thread please don't improve the filters on your air extraction system. After a day at work I enjoy walking over the footbridge at the station to be greeted by the tantalising aroma of fish & chips. I do resist most days and go straight to the gym, but the memory of that smell does make the salad I consume for my dinner far more palatable. Yes I'm on a January diet.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields