SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Strange white lights in the sky
michael

04-01-2013 11:31 AM

Most evenings I see strange flashes of light in the sky, particularly on cloudy days. Usually if I'm staring at the sky around 9pm-11pm in an easterly direction.

It looks like it is probably a powerful flashlight / laser show from some distance away (possibly the Millennium Dome). Does anybody know the source? Or is it possible that aliens have been hovering over Forest Hill after watching Location Location Location?

In a similar vein, is it really possible that I heard the new years fireworks on the Thames from my house? Once they finished on the TV there was about 15 seconds of loud rumble outside, which died away very quickly. Other displays didn't seem to generate the same level of noise. But it seems like a long way for the noise to travel, including over the Horniman hill.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BMqpr

04-01-2013 12:40 PM

I get that. For me it is the railway line where it sparks the electric rail when the trains pull out heading south. It had bugged me for a couple of winters then I realised eventually what the cause was. I'm Dartmouth Rd so that explains my bright flashes, not sure where you are though.

michael

04-01-2013 01:45 PM

It could be the same reason, but it must be a fairly large spark to be seen from the top of the hill. But an interesting possibility.

Tinkerbell

04-01-2013 03:23 PM

Could be the Greenwich laser beam? Depending on weather/orangey light noise, it looks more white than green.

http://www.thegreenwichmeridian.org/tgm/...article=14

lacb

07-01-2013 12:24 PM

I think that BMqpr is on the money here.

Arcs from the third rail pickup definitely cause flashes like this. If the clouds are low level then the affect can be quite striking. If there is ice about then this only amplifies it due to the top pickup arrangement. (A poor choice made when the Southern Railway was formed - we are still suffering from this - the LBSC had the right idea).

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields