SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pavement cafes
baggydave

20-04-2008 01:01 PM

[Moved from SE23 Topics > Solving issues with the South Circular -admin]

You may wish to petition the council (either directly, or suggest via the Forest Hill Society) to get a Living Streets type audit on our area. This would come up with options for a better pedestrian focus to Forest Hill, and no doubt the same could be done for HOP. The latter suffers a little less from traffic, and perhaps could sustain a cafe society with tables out on extended pavements. Suggest readers of this thread come to the FHS General meeting next month, which I assume is already promoted on this site.

Living Streets did an audit of Sydenham, and the recent coucil flier talks about improvements to this area (whilst neither giving a contact or recognising the Living Streets work!)

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
shzl400

20-04-2008 09:36 PM

baggydave wrote:
HOP .... perhaps could sustain a cafe society with tables out on extended pavements.

I saw the man from the Tandoori putting out chairs earlier this week and Tapastry had them out as well!

Sherwood

20-04-2008 10:30 PM

Did you see the episode of Brush Strokes when Elmo had a pavement cafe?

shzl400

21-04-2008 09:55 AM

Sherwood wrote:
Did you see the episode of Brush Strokes when Elmo had a pavement cafe?

No...... Do tell!!

Sherwood

21-04-2008 11:25 AM

Tables were set out on the pavement close to the busy road. A juggernaut came past, connected with the pavement table and was seen driving away with the table attached. The comment made was "That could have been Elmo!" (if he had been serving the table!)
I often think of this when I pass a table cafe!

michael

21-04-2008 11:58 AM

Once William Hill move to Blockbusters, the corner site (West the Butcher for those of us who remember) would be a good spot for another new cafe and some tables and chairs. They can easily be set back from the road where there used to be a fruit and veg stall.

roz

21-04-2008 09:02 PM

I hate to put a damper on such enthusiasm,(truthfully),folks, but this aint' Paris or Barcelona and it never will be. Given the fumes at pavement level and now all these drug dealers , I would much prefer to be safely indoors.

Sherwood

21-04-2008 09:08 PM

Also you need a patio heater to keep you warm.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields