SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Burglary - Forest Hill
marianne

09-12-2012 08:57 PM

I was burgled on Friday afternoon. Off Dartmouth Road opposite Sydenham Police Station. I came home at 5pm to find the door had been damaged but not opened (deadlocks) but the front window had been forced open. This is a uPVC double glazed LOCKED window but they still managed to force it open. The bizarre thing is that nothing major was taken - just a few small items plus a large slug of white wine from a previously unopened bottle so it could have been much worse! Have to say the police were marvellous - so supportive, but they did say that crime rates had increased substantially in the last year. I bought extra window locks today on police advice. I have lived here for 16 years with no problems so this has really shaken me - just a warning to all to please be aware.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Anotherjohn

09-12-2012 09:54 PM

I hope you've got some decent neighbours who can support you through this until you start to feel a little more secure again.

I don't suppose the police gave any hint that it may have been connected to anyone from Miriam Lodge hostel at the rear of the old police station?

marianne

09-12-2012 10:02 PM

Yes, actually they did - said the crime rate had risen considerably over the last two years and they did mention Miriam Lodge (opposite to where I live). I must admit that was my first thought too but I could be wrong!

Horseface

11-12-2012 02:32 PM

Hi Marianne, very sorry to hear about your break-in. I had a similar experience a few days before you, just round the corner in Whittell Gardens - late afternoon on Sunday 2nd, burglars booted their way through a back window. As with you, relatively little was taken, but they helped themselves to a large slug from an expensive bottle of whisky!

Sounds like the same burglars, so people in the area, please be aware.

marianne

12-12-2012 03:49 PM

Hi - thank you for your reply. I have just heard that I was the second victim in my road on the same day! The police have just been to see me again and amongst other things, they said that they may be able to get DNA evidence from the wine bottle - let's hope so! Hope you weren't too traumatised by your experience.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Burglary at Alex Charity Shop in Forest Hill admin 0 2,565 16-11-2019 08:35 AM
Last Post: admin
  Forest Hill Ward - Burglary Update admin 7 10,835 09-08-2016 12:42 PM
Last Post: Tinkerbell