SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Brockley Jack
BarCar

16-01-2008 11:40 AM

I see from the Brockley Jack Theatre website that the pub is being refurbished. Does anybody know if this is a lick of paint of a full on gastro-pub-isation?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
baggydave

16-01-2008 11:41 PM

Lovely theatre, horrid pub. For once I couldn't give a monkeys about a pub makeover. See BD's comments on beerintheevening dot com

Go over the road to Mr Lawrences

hoppy

04-04-2008 07:44 PM

Anyone know whats happening to this? All seems to be changing tonight when I passed.

mljay

04-04-2008 08:56 PM

being renovated... there is discussion on this on brockley central blog

simonj

19-04-2008 12:41 PM

Have noticed that the BJ is closed for a refurb - does anyone know what they are doing, is it a total overhaul or is it a bit of a paint job?

Sherwood

19-04-2008 02:19 PM

From their website:

"The theatre will reopen in June following refurbishment of the Brockley Jack Public House."

shzl400

21-04-2008 01:00 PM

I see from the website that "Adam Ant" is going to be retired for a more traditional highwayman figure..... Unsure

baggydave

21-04-2008 10:10 PM

My spy tells me that this will be a total refurb. One may assume another gastro pub. A wonderful building, but not a particularly decent pub in recent years (generic drinks and even more nasty 2 for the price of 1 generic food). Perhaps a good thing? Those wanting a nice bar to go before or after their dose of culture and the well recommended theatre can of course go over the road to Mr Lawrence's wine bar, and pick up some afters at Mr Lawrence's off license

BarCar

02-05-2008 01:40 PM

According to their website they will be restoring the original features and improving the drink and food selection.

They claim they will be open in the middle of this month.

nevermodern

02-05-2008 02:49 PM

Notice the website says they're starting a monthly film club soon Smile

psyche9

13-05-2008 06:44 AM

It looks like they are nearly finished. A while back there was a board up saying they would be offering 'tapas and deli-boards'

mljay

16-05-2008 08:23 AM

fyi Brockley Jack is open for business - passed by last night. looks tidy.

squashst

25-04-2009 10:45 AM

Its just in SE4, but SE23ers may wish to note the Brockley Jack. Its had a refurb, the Greene King / Abbott bitter is nice, it sells ordinary peanuts (rather than the expensive designer nibbles in a lot of new places), and the main food list looks good. No Sky TV.

Also - it has an active theatre (50 seats - and you can take your drink in!) and a film club
http://www.brockleyjack.co.uk/brockley_j...tions.htm.
For HO / HOP residents its a 10 min stroll along Brockley Rise, and the P4 / 122 stops right outside.

paul91

09-05-2009 02:46 PM

nice pub shame about the landlord

psyche9

10-05-2009 07:10 AM

I stopped going and so did all my friends. The reason being we like having the odd cigarette, and seeing a lovely garden being constructed at the Brockley Jack for first time, only to find it was non smoking (this was not long after the smoking ban) really was a blow.

paul91

10-05-2009 10:54 AM

when it was first opened after refurbishment i saw a man coming out really drank. he almost was run over by the bus, he end up in hospital with head injury anyway.someone confronted the landlord and he was really nasty towards the guy.that was enough to make me stop going there since

wayfarer

11-05-2009 08:40 AM

Am going to have to jump in and support the Brockley Jack.

We have been drinking and eating in the Brockley Jack since it was refurbed and have always found the staff, and landlord particularly, friendly.

It's very family friendly (it was a group of friends with young children that recommended it to us in the first place), and serves a decent pint of real ale. The food is good, and the price reflects the fact that it is pub grub.

It provides a great alternative to the Honor Oak, and I believe is welcome addition to the area.

oryx

12-05-2009 08:02 PM

I must say I really like the Brockley Jack. I'd agree with Wayfarer that the food is decent and reasonably priced.

It never seems to be either crowded or dead, and the music is just the right volume!

psyche9 - I completely appreciate your predicament, liking the odd smoke with a drink myself - however, there's a smoking garden as well in case you didn't know. I wouldn't be so keen on it otherwise. In fact, I simply wouldn't go to a pub that didn't let you smoke outside it!

psyche9

14-05-2009 05:02 AM

OK, thanks for the tip - they must have changed things then, as when I went it was just after they created the garden and there were signs on every table in the garden saying things like 'this is a non-smoking garden for the benefit of...'
(or similar management-speak). There were two battered metal chairs and a half-dead palm tree round the corner from this pleasant area which was apparently the smokers bit. I take it that isn't what you mean by garden and things have changed?

(Is not that I am a mad smoker (a couple a day, honest guv) but the whole thing with the ban really annoyed me. Not least the fact that people you are talking to have to keep nipping outside to smoke. By all means have many more smoke-free places but the ban was too far-reaching. AND they can still smoke in House of Commons bar.)

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields