SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Public Consultation on Lewisham Planning Policy
Tim Lund

03-12-2012 10:25 AM

This should be important.

Apologies if I've missed correcting any garbling done by my scanner.

I can't post the public notice with this letter, but it's on the similar post I just did on Sydenham Town Forum.

Quote:
Planning Service
Laurence House
1 Catford Road
Catford
London SE6 4RU

direct line 020 8314 6540
planning.policy@lewisham.gov.uk
Date 30th November 2012

Dear Citizen

Re: Public consultation

1. Development Management Local Plan Further Options Report
2. Community Infrastructure Levy Draft Charging Schedule

1. Development Management Local Plan Further Options Report
The above mentioned document (accompanied by a Sustainability Appraisal) sets out the policy options and alternatives being considered by the Council for inclusion in a draft local plan, that when adopted will be used to guide, assess and determine planning applications. The plan will support the implementation of the Core Strategy and the London Plan, and will replace the saved policies contained in the Lewisham Unitary Development Plan.

The purpose of this round of consultation is to give members of the public and other stakeholders the opportunity to comment on what options should or could be taken forward into the draft plan, before the Council makes a final decision.

2. Lewisham Community Infrastructure Levy Draft Charging Schedule
The Council proposes to submit the above mentioned schedule for independent examination. The Schedule (accompanied by evidence base background papers) sets out the proposed levy that will be charged by the Council on new development to support the funding of strategic local infrastructure requirements.

Details on how, when and where to view the documents and how to submit comments can be found in the `public notice' at the back of this letter. Written representations (including those made electronically) will need to arrive at the Council by 5pm within the period Monday 3 December 2012 to Thursday 31 January 2013.

If you would like a one-to-one meeting with council officers to discuss these matters please contact us during the consultation period.

Yours sincerely
Brian Regan
Planning Policy Manager
http://www.lewisham.gov.uk

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tim Lund

30-01-2013 11:53 AM

Dear Mr Regan:

I would like to get involved in the Development Management Local Plan (DMLP) and help shape its content, but I cannot be at the meeting this evening.

I would like the DMLP to address directly the question of how we can get enough of the sorts of places where people want to live - and work - in Lewisham, with appropriate consideration taken of the environment. Development control should be mainly about basics, such as safety, and flexibility, so that the existing stock of buildings can be reused for whatever changed uses are sought. Flexibility here refers not just to the present, but any future changes; if the current pressure is for fewer bedrooms, then this should be accepted, but developments which make properties harder to convert one way or the other later should be resisted. Conversions of existing offices and retail space to residential should be accepted, and seen as opportunities for architects to show how it can be done well. It is a shame that so many local pubs are threatened by the pressure for more housing, but we also have the example, in the Sylvan Post, of redundant office space being successfully converted to a pub.

This morning I saw the following retweet from a member of one of our local amenity societies:

Please don't let Lewisham be the bureaucracy which holds back professional creativity.

There should also be a recognition that the immediate concerns which development naturally raises, e.g. the need for more local services, should be offset by the additional resources development brings to the Council, now incremented via the New Homes Bonus, and in principle available via the provisions of the Localism Act to benefit the areas where the development occurs directly. Development will also increase the viability of local businesses, and a more vibrant urban community, beyond purely commercial considerations.

Tim Lund

12-02-2013 08:53 AM

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  NHS PET-CT Imaging - Public Consultation BJC 0 2,834 29-01-2016 01:40 PM
Last Post: BJC
  Lewisham Council consultation on changes to waste and recycling admin 5 7,110 10-09-2015 07:14 AM
Last Post: 152047
  Experience with Lewisham Planning? armadillo 8 7,455 25-06-2015 10:28 AM
Last Post: Londondrz
  Lewisham Planning - poor judgement Theotherbrian 2 4,535 14-10-2010 11:11 AM
Last Post: blushingsnail
  Lewisham planning policy baggydave 10 14,397 11-11-2008 10:14 PM
Last Post: baggydave