SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Driving Forest Hill to Hounslow
Katy10

14-11-2012 04:27 PM

I live in Forest Hill and am starting a new job soon in Hounslow, public transport can get me there but is slow and I wondered if anyone else on the forum has any experience of the journey by car in the mornings/evenings and what kind of time the journey takes?! Planning to leave the house around 7.15/7.30. Any advice appreciated, thanks!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
vipes

14-11-2012 08:18 PM

I spent 6 months commuting from Forest Hill to West Ealing on a Vespa about 10 years ago and found there was little to choose between routes and settled on the South Circular/ Brentford.

Can't recall how long it took but it was long enough that I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy! Yeuch, awful commute and you have my utter sympathy.

Bcm

14-11-2012 09:11 PM

My advice would be to forget driving unless you are on a motorbike. You need to allow at least 90 minutes to get to Hounslow via the south circular, which vile though it is, is the most direct route. Much better to get the Victoria service from the station to Clapham Junction and then go to Hounslow from there. If you link it up optimally it is well under an hour station-to-station. Good luck! Smile

Fandango

15-11-2012 12:35 PM

Don't consider driving unless it's during school holidays. It takes longer, and is far more stressful by car than by train.

The most annoying thing about the train option is the timings. Direct trains to Clapham junction run at 06, and 36 past the hour, landing at platform 5, with the Hounslow train departing at platform 15.

IF the inbound train arrives on time, you have 4 minutes to catch the connection. It usually isn't, leaving you with 15+ minutes to hang around for the next train

The same occurs on the return journey.

But it is preferable to driving, and you'll always get a seat unlike training going into London in the morning.

This post was last modified: 15-11-2012 12:36 PM by Fandango.

Katy10

15-11-2012 01:44 PM

All,

Thank you for the pretty unanimous advice! My partner had suggested as much- I guess he was right!

I wil content myself with a rather long (and quiet) train journey and at least then I can use the time to read plenty of books.

Thanks Smile

Les

15-11-2012 07:30 PM

If you've got an option try to go early. I often get a taxi to Heathrow and it takes less than 45mins... if you leave at 5.15! It not too bad if you leave at 6, but any time after that, especially once the bus lanes are active from 7am, is likely to be terrible.

This post was last modified: 15-11-2012 07:31 PM by Les.

SEN

17-11-2012 09:08 AM

Agree with everything said so far - don't think you can do this quickly.

One observation - not sure which route you planned to take, but depending on where you want to get to, the journey might be less unpleasant if you avoid tube from London Bridge/Canada Water. Options include taking the Forest Hill train to Victoria, change at Clapham Junction. Or if you can get to Penge East, Victoria is only 20 minutes

localmum

17-12-2012 08:31 PM

I do this drive a lot - got so fed up with driving over bridges and through west london, and the south circular in particular Wandsworth and East Sheen that I found a new route. It's not all that quick at time but at least you feel you're moving.

I go through Crystal Palace, down to Streatham - but turn right at Valley Road, off Streatham Common, then left into Gleneldon Road which brings you directly opposite the one way system to go round onto Tooting Bec Rd. I then take a left somewhere like Fransican Rd, to avoid Tooting High St - then do a right and go straight across into Garratt Lane. All the way down here past Earlsfield station until you reach Kimber Rd then rights and lefts to get onto the Kingston Rd (A214/A3). This is then fast going out of town, becomes a dual carriage way. At first lights turn right, then left at Clarence Lane - then the best bit of this drive is you turn left at Priory Lane and get to drive through Richmond Park - beautiful! You can then easily get through to the Chertsey Road and cut through to wherever you need to get to in Hounslow.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields