SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Get Griffin Off Twitter
Tim Lund

20-10-2012 06:33 PM

Poppy9560 wrote:
Britain has a proud tradition of free speech and tolerance. We are all entitled to our opinions and I loathe the BNP etc but they should be allowed to engage in reasoned debate. If nick Griffin committed any offence eg incitement to riot then a complaint to the police is appropriate

Agree re our tradition of free speech, but it's never been absolute, and nor should it be. I'm sure you know about shouting 'Fire!' in a crowded theatre, and, abused as they are, laws on defamation have their place.

An interesting point here is how such limits are enforced. A complaint to the police is possible, but in this case we can appeal to the commercial contract between Twitter and its users - which is what the argument given appeals to - very sensibly, IMHO. There's nothing - except their organisational competence - to stop the BNP from trying to set up some alternative to Twitter, so they can't reasonably say they are being banned from public discourse, but it's hardly going to be as effective. Of course there will probably be chat rooms where they, and previously the likes of Anders Breivik would have communicated among themselves - and that's where I'd be happier for police time to be focused.[/quote]

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
Get Griffin Off Twitter - Tim Lund - 20-10-2012, 10:47 AM
RE: Get Griffin Off Twitter - Londondrz - 20-10-2012, 11:04 AM
RE: Get Griffin Off Twitter - Poppy9560 - 20-10-2012, 11:33 AM
RE: Get Griffin Off Twitter - rshdunlop - 20-10-2012, 11:40 AM
RE: Get Griffin Off Twitter - jgdoherty - 20-10-2012, 02:29 PM
RE: Get Griffin Off Twitter - Tim Lund - 20-10-2012 06:33 PM