SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Bike stolen near FH station
kappacino

19-10-2012 10:30 AM

I had my bike stolen from the bike stands on Perry Vale next to Forest Hill Station last night.

Just a warning to others, I don't expect to get it back although the police have been very efficient taking details. I thought I had decent security in two cable locks but they seem to have just snipped through.

Oh well shanks pony for me for a while. Don't think I am insured, silly boy!!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pico
No longer registered

19-10-2012 11:14 AM

The best way to keep your bike secure is to use two different styles of lock. The thief needs a different tool for each style. I always use a £80 + New York D-Lock and a £60 + chain lock. Touch wood... I have never had a bike stolen with this combination. The little toe rags can't be bothered to carry both tools or it's too time consuming to work on both styles.

Sorry your bike got nicked though. It's a horrible feeling. (One of mine got nicked before I learnt to the two style trick)

Iain

19-10-2012 04:26 PM

Horrible situation, I know the feeling. No use now, but worth taking 5 minutes to watch this from Barry from Southwark Cyclists before you buy your next bike.

http://youtu.be/oPDHPpnXPv8

john-f

20-10-2012 08:49 PM

Really sorry to hear. Having had a couple of bikes stolen over the last thirty years in London, I know what its like. If you do get another bike then do invest in the two different locks.

You could look at this website http://bikeshd.co.uk/
which is a photo website of recently advertised bikes

kappacino

25-10-2012 11:21 AM

Thanks for your comments and wishes. What amazed me was the ease with which they cut through the two cable locks. I have invested in a D Lock now and borrowed a bike from my sister until funds allow.

I was walking past the bike stand yesterday and saw a really nice bike tethered by the same type of lock as I had. I did not have anything with me to leave a note saying get a proper lock, I just wanted to.

The bikeshd website was given to me by the police to lookout and see if it turns up there.

Once again thanks

kappacino

12-11-2012 11:28 AM

Decided that I will replace the bike in the next few weeks using the bike to work scheme. Will use Vaidas or Comptons, unless anyone can recommend other retailers tied to this scheme.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields