SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Slippery pavements around Forest Hill
Snazy

18-10-2012 12:20 PM

As the leaves start to drop, and the mornings become damp etc, is anyone finding certain areas of the pavements extremely slippery? I have noticed that under certain varieties of trees, the pavement seems to darker (on paving stones) and become dangerously slippery when the slightest bit of moisture is added.

The most noticeable ones for me are towards the top of Sunderland Road. So I have reported them this morning. Im sure some creative use of a jetwash will remove the residue that seems to be making it so slippery.

Just wondered if anyone else has the same problem.

And before questioned, I walks many miles a day in my Nike walking shoes and manage on many surfaces without issue... Just under these flippin trees that it gets all slippy slidey Scared

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sherwood

19-10-2012 04:54 PM

It's an annual problem as leaves fall.
I wear shoes with deep treads!

Snazy

20-10-2012 08:33 AM

Sadly on some of these patches deep treads just don't cut it. Its bad all the time there are leaves on the trees, and even when the pavement is swept clean, just the residue from the sap etc making it like ice when damp.

I have reported it anyway, and has been flagged for 'sweeping'. Helpful!

Fallen leaves are not much of an issue, but this is plain dangerous.

rshdunlop

20-10-2012 10:58 AM

It may be due to the very wet summer. My driveway has lots of different types of moss on it, much more than usual for this time of year. It normally appears at the end of November, with the autumn rain. But this year it's been flourishing since April. Add the leaves and it gets really slippery. I nearly went ar** over you-know-what putting something in the wheelie bin the other night. Am waiting for a couple of dry days on the trot to treat the bricks with moss-killer. And waiting. And waiting.

This post was last modified: 20-10-2012 10:59 AM by rshdunlop.

Snazy

21-10-2012 12:02 AM

If you find something good for the driveway let me know, mine is like an ice rink too, and have tried a few things with no luck.

rshdunlop

21-10-2012 07:33 AM

I use Patio Magic - it works well. I buy the concentrated bottles and make it a bit stronger than the standard recommendation in my sprayer. I did the paving at the back of our house in early May and it is only starting to moss up again now.

Snazy

21-10-2012 10:01 AM

Thank you, I shall give that a go. Might even take some to Sunderland Road if It works lol.
Let's see what Lewisham do re my reports.

Sherwood

21-10-2012 02:45 PM

I sometimes put bleach on my path.

Snazy

22-10-2012 11:40 AM

I too thought bleach was going to have an effect, sadly bleach+ hot water+ scrubbing had very little effect other than wetting it and making it more slippery lol.

I shall try some of that patio stuff Smile

rshdunlop

22-10-2012 11:44 AM

If you are using bleach (or diluted bleach) you need to put in on when it's a dry day and let it dry on. After a day or two the moss will be dead. It's not instant, and you may have scrubbed off more than you left on. You also have be careful with run-off into flowerbeds, etc. That's why I use a sprayer - 5 litre job, with a hand-pump to build the pressure for spraying.

Oh, and using bleach and hot water together is not a good idea - nasty fumes.

Snazy

22-10-2012 11:58 AM

Aaah yes I know about the fumes from earlier in life lol.

I shall hope for a dry day soon and try and get it sorted. More worried about my neighbour falling over on the driveway, not so much me.

As for the streets, the job is still pending, so lets see.

Thanks for the tips Smile

Pico
No longer registered

22-10-2012 12:06 PM

Be careful on the roads too. I saw a guy come off his moped due to the slippery road and pot holes on the Dartmouth Road. He was alright, just a bit shaken. He couldn't believe it. The front wheel just gave way in front of him and he went flying.

mrwandle

22-10-2012 02:53 PM

I've noticed loads of 'Love Lewisham' vest wearing sweepers out almost every morning around areas with large trees. No wonder so many trees get chopped back so severely by the council, it must cost them (us) a fortune.

Wish they'd be a bit more enthusiastic about tackling the dog turds - another seasonal problem it seems when the owners can't be bothered to go to the park in the rain. Even worse is when the leaves are disguising a brown mound underneath.... This weekend the route from HOP to FH along Grierson, Garthorne, Beadnell and Stansted Rd was like doing a turd slalom.

Snazy

22-10-2012 03:34 PM

The trees on my road are cut back the same way each time, but grow back with vengeance! Never a shortage of leaves on my road this time of year.

As for the dogs mess, infuriating, and seems to be getting worse on some of the roads I walk. Seems there are some regular offenders out there! Cursing

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields