SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (7): « First < Previous 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Next > Last »
63 Honor Oak Park (ex White Wood Shop)
Anotherjohn

14-06-2013 05:40 PM

The way I see it is Sebastian Roche have been trading in Honor Oak Park for many years now. They have stuck with it through the Credit Crunch and things must've been quite scary through 2008-2010. Some other businesses have come and gone and now that the area is clearly on it is starting to attract speculative interest from elsewhere. There is no doubt that this premises is a peach, but it was [apparently] marketed to all and SR got in there first. I can see why people would like to see something else in the shop but I also think it's totally fair that a firm that's clearly committed to the area have a fair crack of the whip at expanding when the time is right. If SR have won this fair and square, and I don't doubt that they haven't, I would like to congratulate them on winning a long hard battle and wish them good luck for many more years of successful trading in Honor Oak Park.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HannahD

14-06-2013 05:57 PM

Well said Anotherjohn. Seb Roche are local and committed to the area. If it was Foxtons or a new estate agent to HOP I'd feel differently.

Anotherjohn

14-06-2013 05:59 PM

Sorry, the 3rd sentence in my previous post seems to have lost a couple of words - the up - so it should read:-
Some other businesses have come and gone and now that the area is clearly on the up it is starting to attract speculative interest from elsewhere.

This post was last modified: 14-06-2013 06:00 PM by Anotherjohn.

hopper

17-06-2013 12:51 PM

I'm slightly confused by this thread. Are SR moving their business into the old white wood shop? If so, what's happening to their old premises?

HannahD

17-06-2013 01:56 PM

They're using both spaces.

Nick M

20-06-2013 04:50 PM

The problem with estate agents on the high street imho (and with due respect to the local employees of same) is that unless you are actually looking for a property they are "dead" space on the high street, i.e they are not providing a retail service that is of any particular day to day use for the majority of local residents. Given that a huge amount of estate agent activity happens on the web, I'm further unclear why we have so many estate agents on the high street with shop fronts. I'd much prefer a shop or cafe which brings footfall, activity and the daily thrum of social interaction. I'm not clear estate agents provide that. Having said that, I didn't know SR were local so good for them, and anybody is better than the dreadful Foxtons and their ilk..

Tersie

30-07-2013 01:03 PM

The whitewood shop is looking the same. Red Robert won his appeal to extend Seb Roache some months ago now...so why doesn't he get on with it. Or is he planning to do something else with it now?

Calm1

30-07-2013 01:52 PM

As we know from next door building works take some time to plan and arrange but I am sure the final result will only enhance the look of the parade.

lacb

31-07-2013 12:26 PM

Calm1,

As I am sure you are aware, this is not really about enhancing the look of the parade. This is about a deal that has been struck between Seb Roche and the landlord and whatever the intricacies of building works to be planned, which are hardly even comparable to next door in any case, it is not unreasonable to expect at least a schedule of works by this stage.

Would you like to declare an interest?

daveherne

31-07-2013 12:28 PM

i am pretty bnored of looking at empty units so sooner the better for me!

Tinkerbell

31-07-2013 01:24 PM

Please tell me that SebRoche's idea of "enhancing the look of the parade" will at least on their own side involve a sympathetic shop frontage when they move into the corner unit. The White Wood Shop really did enhance the look of that parade, it still does (minus its interior, of course), especially when compared to what's to come in terms of bright orange on red Sainsbury plastic-fantastic frontage. Perhaps the landlords of HOP can then also get their wish granted and have a bookie move into the old bank?

daveherne

26-09-2013 01:58 PM

when are we going to see some action. it is starting to become an eyesore!

Codrington Brill

04-11-2013 11:01 PM

A complete lack of activity across the road at the old wood shop. Such a poor gateway to the parade.

robbrockley

04-11-2013 11:47 PM

Oh there is activity in the WoodShop - builders in and large overflowing skip outside. Doesn't look like it will be too long before Sebastian Roche expands into it. At least it will look better but why they are expanding, goodness knows.

Sibelius

05-11-2013 03:20 PM

A MESSAGE TO REDROBERT

Hi
Don't worry, I'm not going to rant, I'm just interested, as I think are most people who read this thread, as to why exactly Sebastian Roche needs all this extra space? It would be preferable to have one of the two units filled by something a lot more useful, although I doubt the landlord would care about that, but, just interested, as to us laypeople it seems a bit unnecessary. I'm sure if we all knew of the valid reasons behind it (more staff?), people would stop banging on about it!

hoona

05-11-2013 03:38 PM

I think RedRobert owns the ex White Wood Shop. He's already explained he needs more space. Nothing we can do about it now - planning has gone through. Hey ho...

kemamira

05-11-2013 04:04 PM

It amazes me how a local business, especially an estate agent who provides a commoditized service and survives on the trust and support from local residents, can be so reticent and aloof.

On the assumption that there was nothing underhand with their aquisition of the corner site, why on earth wouldn't the manager be giving out positive updates on their plans? If it was Hills & Parkes or Jumping Bean or Neroli expanding, I'm sure they would be posting and tweeting "We're happy to inform our local community that we have enjoyed such wonderful local support that we are expanding blah blah.... "

This is especially true given that there are two other estate agents on Honor Oak Park and numerous others in Forest Hill and Crofton Park, all going after the same business, and they need something to give them an edge in a very slow property market.

RedRobert, everyone knows who you are now so can you engage in this conversation?

This post was last modified: 05-11-2013 04:12 PM by kemamira.

Codrington Brill

06-11-2013 12:00 AM

I'm just happy its being used. As for the use, it's a price you pay for booming property prices

redrobert

06-11-2013 12:47 PM

Dear all

In response to several of the comments that have been made (for those who don’t know, I am one of the directors of Sebastian Roche):

1. We are not aloof and reticent: As I’ve mentioned before, if anyone wants to speak to me I’m happy to answer any questions you may have. I’m afraid to say that this forum is not something that we use or refer to. Unlike other local retail businesses, we don’t use it as a marketing tool. However, in view of the level of interest in (and number of objections to) our plans to expand, I accept that maybe we should have kept a closer eye on this forum and responded accordingly, for this apologies

2. Our plans: To all those who are still unclear, we own the leasehold of the shop at No. 63 . The reason for any commercial decision - including the decision to expand - is a matter for that company provided it complies with all relevant legislation. It is clear that a number of you seem very unhappy about our plans. I’m sorry you feel that way but we were entitled, as a company, to buy No.63 in order to expand our business. There was nothing underhand in this and we strongly resent any accusations to the contrary. For those interested, the reasons we are expanding are threefold: a) we need more space – we are currently at full capacity; b) we are looking at employing more staff; and c) as with any company, we hope that it may result in more business which (if this needs to be said) will benefit the company and those it employs.

3. Progress of works: In answer to those who suggest that no progress has been made then either you’ve not looked at the shop recently or you don’t realise the amount of work that is required or how long such work can take. I’m happy to provide a schedule of works for anyone who is so interested. For what it’s worth, to comply with current building regulations, the refit of the shop has involved extensive major works including replacing the flooring from the ground upwards due to dry rot, re-wiring, installing central heating, re-plastering, replacing an internal wall, replacing the ceiling, replacing internal brickwork, to name but a few. It should also be said that the cost of the works required is one of the reasons why, at the time the shop became available to buy, there weren’t too many interested parties. I’m sorry the works are taking longer than some of you would like but we are in the hands of the builders. Weather permitting, we hope to have the works finished before Xmas.

4. Our community involvement: In light of the accusatory and unsupportive tone of some of the postings on this forum I think it is probably time I should put this on record. We contribute extensively to the local community and our very proud to do so. We have been based in this area for 13 years and it is an area we love. We support several local schools for their Xmas and Summer fairs, a number of church events, a kids football team, and various other local community events such as the Blythe Hill Fields festival. In addition, since acquiring No. 63 we have allowed it to be used as a centre to receive donations for a food bank. Ordinarily all of this is not something that we feel we need to highlight but I think it needs to be mentioned. We are committed to this area and this is where we want to grow our business.

Finally, to all those who have posted supportive comments, thank you.

kemamira

06-11-2013 01:02 PM

There you go Robert, that wasn't too painful was it?

Thanks for the update. Just imagine all of those previous negative posts being positive ones if you had kept the local community informed with a bit more detail.

Local businesses take note; this shows just you how much the local community does care about what happens in our local parade. We all want our local businesses to thrive.

Pages (7): « First < Previous 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Sad demise of the car park kebab shop Erekose 27 27,395 05-09-2014 01:54 PM
Last Post: Erekose
  New shop/business on Wood Vale? ladywotlunches 0 3,297 20-06-2013 11:42 AM
Last Post: ladywotlunches
  The old Honor Oak Pet Shop Cheeky 23 23,316 04-02-2013 11:15 AM
Last Post: Sparkles
  Fireplace shop on Honor Oak Park Jon Lloyd 56 56,738 17-02-2008 08:14 PM