SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Does FH Soc want more affordable houses?
Tim Lund

13-11-2012 08:18 PM

lacb wrote:

Quote:
I don't particularly think a local society should say where housing could go - if this is what you mean by 'direct the supply of housing', although what Michael has written on the matter is welcome. The original question was "Does FH Soc want more affordable houses?", not where. I thought it was a straight forward enough question. A simple yes or no would have done.

If you don't think a local society should say where housing could go, upwards or otherwise, why does it matter what type of housing they might want? You then contradict this by saying that they should be

Quote:
asking their local authorities to presume in favour of conversions and upwards extensions .

All of the rest of the economic argument seems to be pointless until you resolve this.

Apologies - that really was not clear.

My main interest is in the general policy of housing density, and allowing modestly higher development, which should be clear, and I would hope an Amenity society could support this.

When it comes to where, the confusion arises from whether this is thought to mean specific locations - which is where I think an Amenity society will inevitably find it difficult; it would risk exposing itself to endless criticism and get bogged down in unnecessary detail. That would be best left to the Council, developers and associated professionals. The sort of 'where' I had in mind was more general, such as 'large higher rise developments on what available brownfield sites there are' or my preferred options 'conversions and upwards extensions'. I think these should be seen more favourable because otherwise the 'where' we get will be more obtrusive high rise or 'garden grabbing'.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Does FH Soc want more affordable houses? - Tim Lund - 13-11-2012 08:18 PM