SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Does FH Soc want more affordable houses?
Tim Lund

13-11-2012 04:29 PM

lacb wrote:
just comes across as more obfuscation.

Sorry. The point is that there are economic consequences of limiting how high people can build houses, and this example includes estimates of the magnitudes.

lacb wrote:
Why are you being so personal?.

The main reason is what I would say is Michael's position as a local leader of opinion - his views and actions matter far more than other people's. I also chose not to let misrepresentations of what I think to pass without comment. Is that being personal?

lacb wrote:
You have had lots of opportunity to explain why you think a particular local society should direct the supply of housing but, at least succinctly in a way that I can muster, have not done so. .

I don't particularly think a local society should say where housing could go - if this is what you mean by 'direct the supply of housing', although what Michael has written on the matter is welcome. The original question was "Does FH Soc want more affordable houses?", not where. I thought it was a straight forward enough question. A simple yes or no would have done.

lacb wrote:
AFAICT, economics does not come into this (seems more political to me) but, assuming that my own knowledge of the subject is also insufficient for your argument, will allow for the possibility that it does - in which case I respectfully submit to you that this may be the wrong forum for such a discussion.

Economics is about how much people spend on what, so has to come into a discussion of how much people should spend on houses, or any restrictions of where people can spend money building houses. If this Forum is relevant to real life in SE23, then it's the right place to raise the economic consequences of decisions local politics. I have no privileged understanding of economics, and the economic arguments I am making are not controversial; they come from well the established 'micro-economics' of supply and demand.

Putting aside any personal issues, please remember the big picture, which is that there are hundreds of thousands of young people in London without a decent place to live, or paying excessive rents, so unable to save for their futures. Amenity societies are not particularly to blame, but they could play a part by asking their local authorities to presume in favour of conversions and upwards extensions - without specifying where.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Does FH Soc want more affordable houses? - Tim Lund - 13-11-2012 04:29 PM