SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Does FH Soc want more affordable houses?
Tim Lund

22-10-2012 05:32 PM

Michael makes several good points, and there is no challenging his command of detail on actual planning application in the area.

In particular, it is quite reasonable for him earlier on this thread to

Quote:
prefer the option of developing brownfield sites (and some green field) around London which are not in use.

Also, on an earlier thread on the Sydenham Town Forum

michael wrote:

Tim Lund wrote:
Are any of those active in local assemblies and civic societies prepared to contemplate the higher housing densities the wider public needs?

Of course they are, always just outside their area, which currently has the perfect density. (I jest of course).

Every area is different. My understanding is that the Sydenham Society were particularly in favour of Bell Green having significant residential development, rather than out of town style retail park. The Greyhound site is another good example of high density development in a site with high PTAL rating. Brockley will show other examples of this happening. Not quite high rise, but 5 or 6 storeys becoming fairly normal for such locations.

Anyway, I've tried to explain the point of view from people who I know were in that workshop. I hope that most people will see that their concerns are valid in certain contexts. A necessary force against those who would like to see South London turned into Nothing but Towers.

So he can equally reasonably contemplate higher densities further into London, but when it comes to his own back yard, it's a case of 'many an actual opinion spoken in jest'.

I'm also interested to know whether he really does still think "The Greyhound site is another good example of high density development" - or was that another - unacknowledged - jest, like the suggestion that I was advocating 'nothing but towers', which I originally took as a jest, but which others misunderstood, so requiring me to spell out my position at maybe unwarranted essay length.

This post was last modified: 22-10-2012 05:37 PM by Tim Lund.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Does FH Soc want more affordable houses? - Tim Lund - 22-10-2012 05:32 PM