SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Does FH Soc want more affordable houses?
Codrington Brill

22-10-2012 01:47 PM

If you look at our housing stock it is clear to me that there is a complete mismatch between the type and size of housing and housing need. We're living longer in retirment and splitting into smaller household units but the existing housing remains predominantly family sized. Its unavoidable that to provide houses for more housholds in a fixed area (fixed because of the Green Belt) you need to increase the density of housing. What's the best way to do it?

Buidling only on scarce brownfield sites is not fair in my opnion as you end up with small units and poor lviing standards. Furthermore, there isn't enough space in the right places. I have always thought that the best way is large scale intensification of the exisiting housing stock as Mr Lund is suggesting. i/e replace rows of terraced and detached housing with high quality well designed mainly flatted developments with good standard of living.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Does FH Soc want more affordable houses? - Codrington Brill - 22-10-2012 01:47 PM