SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Does FH Soc want more affordable houses?
michael

22-10-2012 08:26 AM

Tim wrote:
We need greater housing densities - probably not that much more - so we have a choice between:
1. building over existing open space, such as allotments
2. building overbearing developments on what few sites can be found via the planning system, e.g. the Catford Tavern, etc
3. allowing the large amount of existing residential land to be redeveloped with an extra storey

3 is my preferred choice.

Tim,
When you say you want existing residential land to be redeveloped do you mean that large amounts of existing housing across Forest Hill to be demolished and replaced with modern three-storey flats and town houses? Or are you suggesting that home owners should be encouraged to extend their mortgages and convert their attics into penthouses for young families?
By targeting existing residential you are either expecting existing home owners to buy into this scheme to split up their homes, or you are expecting streets to be bought up by developers for systematic redevelopment.
Or is there another solution that I don't see?

I still prefer the option of developing brownfield sites (and some green field) around London which are not in use. I see no point in keeping playing fields (in Anerley) in public ownership when they have not been used for 20 years and a single site could provide more housing then large scale redevelopment of streets in Forest Hill. I'm not against converting houses into two flats to some extent, but I don't believe this can be the primary solution to the housing crisis which has resulted in such high rents and property prices.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Does FH Soc want more affordable houses? - michael - 22-10-2012 08:26 AM