SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Opt-Out of European Law and Order
michael

16-10-2012 07:03 AM

Apparently the government wants to opt-out of 130 European measures on law and order, including the European arrest warrant.

Without the European arrest warrant Jerermy Forrest would still be living in France and Julian Assange will be free to fly to Ecuador where he will be safe from Swedish justice.

Can anybody explain why the government want to opt-out of this system?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sherwood

16-10-2012 08:32 AM

Probably because they are losing Conservative voters to Ukip!

lacb

16-10-2012 12:00 PM

To expand on Sherwood's answer, I think it is seen, in the Tory heartland, as a sovereignty issue. They have just jumped through hoops, quite rightly IMO, to prevent McKinnon's extradition - more background here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-16024278

It is a horrible conflation of different issues for party political ends.

brian

16-10-2012 01:37 PM

Michael.
If we did opt out of these matters we would certainly have individual arrangements with friendly countries like Sweden and Senor Asange would be extradited to Sweden.

michael

16-10-2012 04:00 PM

I wasn't sure why you would make an Australian 'senor' but I think I get it.
Think of all the bureaucracy involved in treaties with every friendly country, surely better to have one treaty for all 27 members of the EU, who are all friendly countries - as proved by that lovely peace prize received last week from our non-EU friends in Norway.

Looking at the legislation in more detail it appears that even if we left the European Arrest Warrant we would probably still be covered by the European Convention on Extradition. However, I suspect that Sweden would need to reapply for extradition of Assange under different legislation, which could easily give him enough time to get himself from Knightsbridge to Heathrow.

I wonder what the other 129 issues are to which the government take exception?

brian

17-10-2012 11:00 AM

I think Ms May made a very bad decision refusing extradition on the grounds that the alleged criminal might commit suicide.

No one will ever be able to be extradited again

Shame on you Ms May.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields