SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Was anyone else a stone throwing target?
ForêtHügel

10-10-2012 04:41 PM

Hello people,
Yesterday we were stoned (not high Wink, thrown stones at..) on the little path that goes from Shipman Road to Sunderland Road.

We were walking back home when a group of 5-7 boys with bicycles started throwing stones at us from beyond the fence from Sunderland Mt flats.
My partner also got thrown pears at him when he went to collect me at the station.

Aside from the fact that throwing stones is very dangerous, we were wondering if we specifically targeted or if anyone else experienced it?

Needless to say we're feeling quite shocked Unsure by the whole experience and have reported it to 101 and the Safer Neighbourhood Team.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
wilde

10-10-2012 06:44 PM

Stones? It's usually conkers they throw.
One thing you could do is to video them doing it, but be discrete.
It's still an offence to throw an object at someone and the object can be construed as a weapon.
The police would be interested in that

ForêtHügel

10-10-2012 07:58 PM

It was definately stones. The problem is, because of previous confrontation with the young lads from that area (which are only two years younger than me, in their mid twenties), we are worried we were targeted.
They have been stealing from the poor grocers on the corner. They're not just "being boys".

Tomcat

10-10-2012 08:41 PM

I use that cut through every day, as does my wife. We've (to date) never had a problem. In fact can't ever say I've seen groups on the other side of the fence other than young kids on bouncy castles etc. There is a bit of an issue, which has been commented upon on other threads, with a group of young lads that have been anti-social in particular to the grocer on the corner of Shipman/Siddons. They are based around Shipman however and the ringleader of this group, whom I also see most days, now seems to be growing up a little and is less obnoxious than he used to be.

Either way I note your concern about this and do sympathise. For what it's worth I wouldn't over dwell on the possibility that you're being targeted. I'm sure that you're not. You made the right call in contacting the police, and I would press them for a response to this. The cut-through is often a source of concern to fellow se23.com users. And whilst I make a point of using it and feel safe in doing so we need to keep the pressure up to ensure it remains policed, regularly used and a viable public walkway.

Sherwood

17-10-2012 12:24 PM

There is also the concern that this short-cut is next to a primary school. Small children could get injured.

Londondrz

17-10-2012 03:34 PM

Fight fire with fire. Buy a catapult. :-)

Only joking, I would never do that.....

This post was last modified: 17-10-2012 03:35 PM by Londondrz.

Erekose

17-10-2012 04:01 PM

Tomcat
Would the leader be the lad who lives in Vestris road and used to be known locally as skaghead?

Tomcat

17-10-2012 06:18 PM

I'm not sure on his street name but he certainly lives at the Shipman end of Siddons.

charsiew

22-10-2012 08:09 AM

There is a leader called skaghead in the area?

Erekose

22-10-2012 05:43 PM

Its what he used to be known as by some of my friends - I doubt he would have taken it to himself.....I've not seen him recently but he used to be a real nuisance a few years back.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields