SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
The Capitol, Forest Hill
The Bean

14-04-2008 02:06 AM

This is one of the places quoted as perpetuating the myth that The Capitol is going to close. I work there and checked with the powers that be and this is definitely not the case. Just wanted to put the record straight.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
admin
Administrator

14-04-2008 06:37 AM

I don't recall the myth to which you refer - maybe you could point us to a relevant post.

robwinton

14-04-2008 07:45 AM

The Bean, I must admit to having read the VAST majority of threads and posts on this site in the last year or two and this has never come up to my knowledge.

The only thing I can think of that is even vaguely related are posts about those who wish we had a cinema back in Forest Hill, and I think you might agree that it would be wonderful (but impossible) for the Capitol to become a cinema again.

I think that discussion must have happened elsewhere

The Bean

14-04-2008 11:10 AM

Thank you. It was just that one of my regulars quoted this site as his source of the rumour.

admin
Administrator

14-04-2008 12:43 PM

Ah, rumours. If your regulars come up with any other ones you are cordially invited to make use of the forum's search facility to check for yourself.

dangermouse

14-04-2008 01:21 PM

It would be fantastic if Forest Hill was to get a cinema again. The closest cinemas too us are not in the nicest of areas - Peckham. Chances of Weatherspoons closing and The Capitol being converted back to a cinema by one of the big cinema chains? You never know. It would certainly get my vote! Thumbsup

thenutfield

14-04-2008 10:10 PM

looks like The Bean has managed to start a rumor going!

Londondrz

15-04-2008 08:11 AM

I was in The Hob the other day and someone said that the pools were being pulled down and Heathrow Terminal 6 was going to be built thereCool

Renzon

15-04-2008 11:51 AM

I am no great fan of Wetherspoon but ,realistically speaking, it does not look like it is going to close or move out any time soon. It is always busy and obviously fills a gap in the Forest Hill restaurant market.

The Bean

15-04-2008 01:45 PM

Wetherspoons has a 25 year lease from 1997 and are not planning to close the pub so converting it back to a cinema any time soon is very unlikely. However, I am researching the history of the building and would appreciate any input - particularly from people who remember it as a cinema or bingo hall. Also, anybody who attended the raves it used to have between uses.

Sandy67

15-04-2008 11:29 PM

they could've just kept the cinema in catford

i think lewisham is one of the only boroughs without a cinema now ???

sue

16-04-2008 12:24 PM

Dangermouse, if you wanted to live in a place with a cinema, why didn't you move to somewhere like Bromley or Croydon? Places with cinemas tend to be much bigger and busier than Forest Hill, and consequently property prices are more expensive, and you have to pay to park, even outside your own door. Personally I like the fact that Forest Hill is small. Few places of FH's size have the benefit of the Horniman Museum and park, and (eventually when it's rebuilt) a swimming pool. The day of cinemas the size of the Capitol are long over, they're all huge multiplexes, and where would we put one of those, and do you want the cinema goers parking outside your front door? Forest Hill can certainly do with some smartening up and some of the closed shops being converted to houses or occupied by new businesses, but generally speaking I like it the way it is.
By the way, I believe the nearest cinema is in Beckenham, not too far away at all!

NewForester

16-04-2008 12:50 PM

sue wrote:
The day of cinemas the size of the Capitol are long over, they're all huge multiplexes, and where would we put one of those?

Bell Green?

sue

16-04-2008 01:05 PM

Bell Green is in Sydenham! I thought we were talking about Forest Hill.

Foresters

16-04-2008 01:20 PM

The Bean - are you still doing the tours of the Capitol? I think I spoke to you about this once but never got round to making arrangements with you...

vipes

16-04-2008 08:02 PM

The Bean can you improve the atmosphere in there?. It feels like you're drinking in a great big cinema with its seats ripped out.

tomangel

17-04-2008 06:43 PM

The nearest cinemas are in central london too, or surry quays nce east london line opens. But I agree, it would be amazing if it was a cinema again,

Woudl love to see any old photos of the place when it did hold raves...

Baboonery

17-04-2008 06:54 PM

A cinema in Forest Hill would be dreadful, a completely inappropriate addition to a low-key local high street, particularly if the only pub with the capacity to cope with a pre-film/post-film surge had to shut to make way for it.

But then I find the feature film to be a puzzlingly over-rated art form, fail to see the attraction in being deafened with pseudo-classical music composed last week while paying a fortune for some popcorn and listening to some muppet behind you talk all over the thing. Give me the Capitol over a cinema any day of the week.

thenutfield

17-04-2008 10:19 PM

Baboonery wrote:
But then I find the feature film to be a puzzlingly over-rated art form,

art form? I took my son to see Son of Rambow at Peckham last week - art it wasn't!

The Bean

18-04-2008 12:23 AM

Foresters - that is a "watch this space" at the moment.

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields