SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Harassment by male in London Road area
seeformiles

27-09-2012 11:02 AM

Dear all,

just to alert you to something that happened on Monday night, 24th Sept around 9.30pm. I was walking up London Road, just past Wetherspoons and was approached by a bloke asking for money. I said I didn't have any but he got very persistent and a bit pushy. He continued to follow me and said he 'wanted to talk to me' I refused, carried on walking and he then got angry and started swearing.

Ok this isn't that unusual an occurrence in the scheme of things, but he was just a bit more aggressive than usual so I reported it to the Met Police Safer Neighbourhoods Team and also the 101 police callcentre.

I also saw him causing trouble at the Teashop Cafe a few weeks ago when he was verbally abusing a woman customer.
From what I could hear, she was a local shopkeeper and he'd gone into her shop and started harrassing her. The Teashop owner had to ask him to leave.

I don't want to worry people unecessarily, but thought I should mention it. Hopefully the Safer Neighbourhoods team will be patrolling the area.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Snazy

27-09-2012 11:10 AM

Well done for your actions, and thank you for the heads up. Glad you are ok Smile

hillsideresident

27-09-2012 12:05 PM

What did he look like?

seeformiles

27-09-2012 12:10 PM

Thanks Snazy.
He was about 40, 5 foot ten (ish), black, short hair, wearing a bright turquoise teeshirt with a print design on the front and a bit unshaven I think.

kittycatdoggywoggie

28-09-2012 01:45 PM

I think the said guy from the description is a regular around that spot as many occasions I have waited at the bus stop either by Wetherspoons or on the other side by Santander I have seen him and if a person ignores him he follows them swearing at them and in one instance I have seen him push a lady maybe in her 40's almost into the road. I have noticed him since possibly Feb or March this year doing this kind of thing - he may be known to the police but he could be mentally ill hence they possibly do not take action.

seeformiles

28-09-2012 03:09 PM

Thanks for the info Kitty.
I'm going to chase it up with local Safer Neighbourhoods Team because I had to leave a recorded message and they've not got back to me yet.

This doesn't sound good. If he's resorting to physical aggression I think something needs to be done.

Anotherjohn

28-09-2012 03:19 PM

It seems like all the police want is the easy nick - like minor traffic offence tickets and so on.

I am so sorry to hear what has happened to those poor people, but at the same time my blood is boiling with anger.

This guy is a menace and causes distress to people who shouldn't have to face this type of ordeal. It sounds like he may well have mental health problems, in which case the police have the power to have him sectioned and put into the right hands.

Please post time and place every time anyone sees him and if I'm in the area I will go there, wait for him to approach someone, and arrest him - citizens' arrest ;c) of course - and demand that the police take care of him there and then. I am livid about this, especially as the police are supposedly already aware and nothing's been done about it!

seeformiles

28-09-2012 04:06 PM

Thanks AnotherJohn,

I left another phone message and will now follow it up with an email.

rbmartin

29-09-2012 01:38 PM

Does this man have a very strong accent too? If so, he was abusive to people waiting for a bus outside Wetherspoons a week go on a Weds afternoon.

nottinghillbilly

29-09-2012 06:57 PM

I think I had him approach me on London Road opposite Sainsburys one evening earlier in the year, I'd forgotten about it until I read this post but the description fits.
He approached me just by the crossing and asked something like if he could borrow my mobile phone (I was'nt using it at the time-he just approached and asked this).
When I shook my head and kept walking he followed me a bit until we reached the Barbers shop and flats set back from the road he was cussing and yelling abuse at me but I kept walking and he gave up-
It was pretty scary at the time if I'm honest but luckily it was a busy time of day (around 7pm) and there were lots of people around I think thats why he gave up and backed off.

roz

30-09-2012 07:09 PM

Sounds like the guy I had a run in with in Sainsburys in the summer.
There is also another man who hassles people in Sainsburys car park in much the same way. He is white with dark hair and 35-45. He came up to us as I was putting my children in the car and I was really worried but he wouldnt let up. Eventually a member of Sainsburys staff came up and got rid of him but I ve seen him there many times in the car park- noticeably always carrying an open can of lager.

mgmonkey

01-10-2012 03:30 PM

Whilst sitting in The Sylvan Post, I think I have seen the same guy hassling people outside Paddy Power on Dartmouth Road.

He then came into The Sylvan asking for stuff and swearing. From what I gathered he did this regularly.

jfl1985

02-10-2012 09:58 PM

Just had what sounds like the same guy follow me up London road from the junction at Waldenshaw Road up to the Tesco metro. He was shouting abuse and telling me to give him money for the train etc. I had this before a few months back but it was earlier in the day and he wasn't as persistent as he was this time.

I have just reported to the police and will continue to do so if this happens again.

nottinghillbilly

02-10-2012 10:34 PM

If he crosses my path again I will also tell the police.

seeformiles

03-10-2012 06:18 PM

Thanks so much for your response.
I've since heard back from Forest Hill SNT and will be going in tomorrow to see them.

I've been away the last few days so have only just caught up with your replies.

Hopefully we can get this sorted out asap.
At the moment I'm feeling a bit uneasy about wandering down to Sainsburys at night in case he reappears.

carob36

06-10-2012 03:46 PM

It rather sounds like the man I met in Sainsbury's car park yesterday afternoon. He had a JobCentre Plus compliment slip with something about his benefits having been halted written on it. He was following a guy in the covered part of the car park and swearing at him, then he approached me at my car.

I found him pretty threatening, especially as my baby daughter was behind me in her car seat. He then went up to another woman who gave him money. I reported him to the security guard at Sainsbury's but I have no idea if he took me seriously or not. I don't know if it's the same guy but he was quite in-your-face, abusive and unsettling.

seeformiles

06-10-2012 04:00 PM

Forest Hill SNT were really helpful and sympathetic with me, and I was able to identify him in a photo. But please also report it - the more evidence the better.

michael

09-10-2012 10:47 AM

Forest Hill SNT are well aware of this individual and are looking to take action. Reporting any incidents to the police will help them to deal with this individual or other individuals causing similar problems.

Non-emergency number for the police is 101

hillsideresident

02-10-2013 12:01 PM

He's back.

Bobaldo

03-10-2013 09:55 AM

I had a friend come to visit me in Forest Hill and this sounds like the guy he had a run in with on the way to my house.

If it makes anyone feel better (and it does me) he punched him in the face and left him on the ground. I can assure you, this is a friend of mine not normally given to aggression but this guy was grabbing him and pushing him around.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Male throwing knives in London Road, Forest Hill hillview 1 4,732 12-01-2017 09:58 AM
Last Post: hillview
  Strong smell of burning..London Rd area nottinghillbilly 1 3,590 14-08-2014 11:02 AM
Last Post: Snazy