SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (8): « First < Previous 4 5 6 7 [8] Last »
Planning: 2-4 London Road FH (Launderette)
michael

16-09-2013 02:26 PM

Dry cleaners are A1 use class. In a core shopping area they cannot be changed to estate agents (or at least it is unlikely to be approved when there is less than 70% A1). There are no plans to change the launderette to a dry cleaner.
My point about a dry cleaner is that a launderette deserves the same protection and if it is to change to anything else it should be marketed for A1 retail.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Anotherjohn

17-09-2013 04:36 PM

Thanks for clarifying that for me Michael.

I'm with you on that!

Anotherjohn

04-03-2014 08:13 PM

Planning Inspectorate's Decision

The appeal is allowed and planning permission is granted for the change of use of the ground floor and basement from a launderette (Use Class Sui Generis) to an estate agency (Use Class A2) and alterations to the shopfront at Forest Hill Launderette, 2-4 London Road, London SE23 3HF in accordance with the terms of the application, Ref DC/13/82357, dated 17 January 2013

P1971

04-03-2014 11:06 PM

Anotherjohn does that mean we will have an estate agent, that is able to change the original frontage instead of giving the original building some tlc?

If so I'd be gutted, as I love local history about FH, and would love a great local business to open on that site, or as I've said in a previous thread a great Tourist Information Centre for the area.

Maybe I'm a bit too optimistic and hopeful, but I think it's the way forward.

Anotherjohn

05-03-2014 05:40 AM

It's a done deal - Pedders are moving into it from their premises opposite Sainsburys. The shopfront is being reinstated and improved and will apparently enhance the Conservation Area.

The appeal decision states:-

Notwithstanding the presence of other estate agent premises within the town centre, I note the Council has not identified any specific harm arising from the proposed use itself. I am satisfied the proposal would offer an alternative non-A1 use with significant benefits for the town centre. The scheme would bring back into use run-down premises and would provide significant employment. Although no comparative data is available relative to a launderette, the proposed use would be likely to generate significant footfall in the vicinity. Whilst not conditional upon the terms of any planning permission, I further note that terms of agreement have been set for a retail use to possibly occupy the appellant’s current premises nearby at No 45 which would be vacated should this scheme be implemented and which would no doubt help contribute to the wider vitality of the centre.

Furthermore, the proposal would provide a substantial physical upgrade not
just to this part of the town centre, but also to the Conservation Area, and this, in turn, should help to maintain a positive commercial image for this part of Forest Hill. Conversely, rejection of the proposal would also run the risk of the continuing vacancy of prominent premises within the
town centre, and with that the prospect of further harm for the site’s contribution to the centre’s commercial well-being.

MightyMouse

05-03-2014 07:18 AM

Mmm. Intrigued as to how it'll "provide significant employment", if they're just moving their shop down the road.

But, you know, yay - more glass windows full of pictures of overpriced property. Because we don't have nearly enough of those in Forest Hill.

michael

05-03-2014 08:43 AM

It is a shame, but not a disaster.
It was always a long shot to hope that a launderette would be protected by policies meant to protect A1, even when there is a serious shortage in the core shopping area. Unfortunately the council planning department (who wanted to approve the conversion before it went to planning committee) appears to have put up very little evidence to indicate how a launderette (or A1 retail unit) would add more vitality and footfall to the core shopping area.

Peddar will certainly improve the frontage of this unit and I hope that their current shop is put to good use as an A1 unit. Great site for a greengrocer, deli, or fishmonger - almost next door to The Butchery and opposite Sainsburys. So good luck to Peddar in this prime site, and to their replacement in their current site.

Southlonder

05-03-2014 01:41 PM

"It is a shame, but not a disaster.
It was always a long shot to hope that a launderette would be protected by policies meant to protect A1, even when there is a serious shortage in the core shopping area. Unfortunately the council planning department (who wanted to approve the conversion before it went to planning committee) appears to have put up very little evidence to indicate how a launderette (or A1 retail unit) would add more vitality and footfall to the core shopping area.

Peddar will certainly improve the frontage of this unit and I hope that their current shop is put to good use as an A1 unit. Great site for a greengrocer, deli, or fishmonger - almost next door to The Butchery and opposite Sainsburys. So good luck to Peddar in this prime site, and to their replacement in their current site. "

Well said, one has to be pragmatic in these situations and I would much rather have Pedder in there than an empty unit!

Anotherjohn

05-03-2014 01:58 PM

Quote:
and I hope that their current shop is put to good use as an A1 unit. Great site for a greengrocer, deli, or fishmonger

...or launderette

Baboonery

05-03-2014 03:20 PM

Johnny Carson once defined a New York Minute as the interval between a Manhattan traffic light turning green and the guy behind you honking his horn.

A Forest Hill Minute is the interval between someone on se23.com talking about a shop unit falling empty and someone else having the bright idea that it'd be great to have a greengrocer or deli or fishmongers.

michael

05-03-2014 03:33 PM

Okay, you caught me Baboonery Blush

But there was an interesting reference in the appeal judgement:

Quote:
I further note that terms of agreement have been set for a retail use to possibly occupy the appellant’s current premises nearby at No 45 which would be vacated should this scheme be implemented and which would no doubt help contribute to the wider vitality of the centre.

So I think it is allowed to speculate just a little on what 45 London Road might become that would "help contribute to the wider vitality of the centre" that has been included in terms of an agreement. It is possibly the most interesting line in the whole decision.

This post was last modified: 05-03-2014 03:34 PM by michael.

Anotherjohn

05-03-2014 04:00 PM

Quote:
I further note that terms of agreement have been set for a retail use to possibly occupy the appellant’s current premises

is preceded by

Quote:
Whilst not conditional upon the terms of any planning permission,

So whether that happens or not is anyones' guess because they advertised it as A2 http://www.zoopla.co.uk/to-rent/details/...9205531b49 and it's showing as 'letting agreed'.

michael

05-03-2014 04:29 PM

I guess somebody could always ask Peddar for some further information, although I might not be their favourite person after causing all this delay to their scheme.

Anotherjohn

05-03-2014 04:41 PM

Yes Michael - and because you keep mis-spelling their name!

This post was last modified: 05-03-2014 04:49 PM by Anotherjohn.

BringOutTheCranston

05-03-2014 10:53 PM

And good job too. That launderette was a real eyesore and if Pedder do that corner up then I'm all for it.

P1971

05-03-2014 11:43 PM

I love it when a thread ends on a happy and funny note! Michael not sure I'm the right person to ask as I pushed for the petition too. I'm laughing so much as Anotherjohn pointed out that you called them Peddar instead of Pedder! Getting my Tipp-Ex ready for the morning! Anotherjohn x and Michael x Shhh! Please don't tell anyone if I graffiti tomorrow!

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

06-03-2014 02:32 PM

Quote:
So whether that happens or not is anyones' guess because they advertised it as A2 http://www.zoopla.co.uk/to-rent/details/...9205531b49 and it's showing as 'letting agreed'.

Cant see the 'letting agreed' bit but 'neighbours include ... The Black Hummingbird'!

They've also marked the incorrect shop on the map on the full particulars...crikey, if they cant even list their own property correctly...

This post was last modified: 06-03-2014 02:35 PM by IWereAbsolutelyFuming.

Pages (8): « First < Previous 4 5 6 7 [8] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Planning Application: 6-8 London Road admin 0 4,332 14-10-2007 08:11 PM
Last Post: admin