SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (8): « First < Previous 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Next > Last »
Planning: 2-4 London Road FH (Launderette)
Delilah

24-06-2013 08:37 PM

I find this so frustrating, everyone is working hard to try and improve the high street and now we are stuck with terrible looking place for even longer.
I presume you can't force the hand of the laundrette to renovate the frontage??
Why would you want a laundrette in that location, its like putting a toilet in the middle of the living room!!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Deano

24-06-2013 08:55 PM

I can't quite believe that a campaign was run to keep in place Forest Hill's biggest eyesore. I guess we got what we wanted - for visitors to see a run down station leading out to a run down laundrette.

Still, at least we saved the laundrette. The one we use on Kirkdale is all of three minutes up the road on the bus.

Loncdl

24-06-2013 10:12 PM

Totally bizarre. I thought the FH Society was a good thing til I read all this. Now I'm less sure...

Satchers

25-06-2013 12:10 AM

Well the next campaign then needs to be to improve the shopfront of the launderette (and other rubbish shopfronts in the town centre).

I hope all of you that feel so strongly about it will help with this. Wink

anyone able to come up with some design ideas for how it can be improved so that we can give the landlord some ideas?

I think there needs to be some separation of the issues of 'appearance' from 'purpose' here. We do still just about live in a world where not everyone can afford a washing machine..... and even those that can have them go wrong on occasion!

FHSoc

01-07-2013 12:10 PM

I can appreciate people's confusion as to why the Forest Hill Society would seek to preserve a dilapidated shop front, if that is what our intent was.

According to ONS figures, Forest Hill has a wonderfully diverse population with 26% AB [Higher and intermediate managerial], 36% C1 [Supervisory, clerical, junior managerial], 24% C2, D [Skilled, Semi-skilled] and 12% E [on benefits]. Whereas the views on this forum can be quite strident at times, I doubt they truly reflect the views of all locals. However, our Town Centre should cater for everyone's needs.

We have been trying to engage with the landlord to improve the look of the launderette for some time. I am glad to say that the recent activity has enabled a discussion to start and we will see where they lead. Everybody agrees that the building needs some TLC, but there is no reason why the launderette could not be well maintained and a positive contributor to the look and feel of Forest Hill.

At the moment there is no lease on the launderette because the current owner owns the freehold of the entire building. Our understanding is that Pedder have signed their copy of a lease, but that the landlord has not signed his, pending the outcome of the planning application and the possible sale. In addition to the launderette, there are four bedsits above the launderette which the landlord rents out privately and a small cellar below.

P1971

01-07-2013 07:44 PM

I actually quite like some of the frontage. Imagine everything being stripped back to it's original glory (1952 is when it opened I think, please correct me if I'm wrong) and restored in it's original style with TLC. I think it would then be an attraction to FH rather than an eyesore as the oldest working launderette in London.

Deano

02-07-2013 12:22 AM

It is Certainly the oldest looking laundrette in London...now preserved for a little bit longer. Other community assets we need to protect:

1: Forest Hill station ticket office. One of the finest post war examples of its kind.
2: The old blue mountain cafe. It may look derelict but actually it is one of London's most prestigious boarded up shopfronts, dating back to well before the current recession.
3: The portakabin site. One of the most useful community assets for those who need a site office or temporary toilet.

FH soc - we use a laundrette, just not this one. Ours is 3 mins up the road.

BMqpr

02-07-2013 07:50 AM

I know how you feel having your laundarette only 3 mins up the road it's a nice position to be in when you have a very large bag with washing in.

I'm lucky like you, as the laundarette on London Rd is only 3 mins up the road for me.

Tomcat

02-07-2013 08:26 AM

FHSoc - there is no confusion it seems to me (and perhaps to many other users of this site). It was a mistake to retain the launderette there, and in its current dilapidated state. I do hope I don't detect in your second paragraph a hint of inverted snobbery as well. Something along the lines of 'all these middle class NIMBY's complaining about the launderette when they've all got their dyson washing machines in their utility rooms'.

Chipcity

02-07-2013 09:14 AM

I agree that it was a mistake to contest the planning application as it is apparent that the cost of bringing the shop front up to an acceptable standard probably makes no commercial sense with the current turnover in particular due to its current dilapidated state and the relatively large size. If there is sufficient support there are a number of other vacant units with more manageable shop fronts that are available and probably on very reasonable terms. Unless the unit is sold I suspect that the eyesore will remain for the foreseeable future.

I accept that the issue of use and maintenance are entirely seperate but when you have decades of dilapidations by the owner (who should have the funds as the unit is not mortgaged) then this should be considered as a factor.

However, FHSoc should be supported for all their hard work and ultimately the decision did not rest with them.

This post was last modified: 02-07-2013 09:21 AM by Chipcity.

rshdunlop

02-07-2013 09:23 AM

Can someone tell me why a smart laundrette (and I do mean smart, and funky, even, as someone showed upthread) would be wrong for this site? As long as the building looks good, I don't see why it can't continue to be a laundrette. If people want something that will attract young professionals and make the area look up-and-coming, a GOOD laundrette is a strong selling point. People working long hours living in flats with no drying space want a decent laundrette where they can drop off the washing for a service wash on the way to work and pick it up on the way home. Add to that a shirt service and home deliveries (also mentioned upthread) and you'll be a busy little laundry. If I got off the train at FH and saw that sort of business thriving in the centre of the town, I'd be impressed, not put off.

There is the potential for a great business here. A clean, busy laundrette is a sign of a thriving area populated by people with busy lives. Moreover, a laundrette that has been made to look smart in a nice looking building is much more impressive than a glossy estate agents, because it shows investment and care in the very essentials of the community.

Delilah

02-07-2013 09:47 AM

Under the planning regulations that are currently in place is "laundrette" the only allowable function or is this under an umbrella term that covers other service outlets too?

ie. What are the other options for this shop front without having to take on the wisdom of the planning department?

If FHSoc are going to go up against all potential investors apart from someone with lots of money who wants to spend a fortune on rebuilding a laundrette that is 3 mins from another laundrette. I think Forest Hill is destined to be grimy and shabby for some time.

I dont get the "groan the posh kids have moved into town" thing ... don't you want to live in nice place?? Does anyone get a kick out of filthy boarded up shop fronts?

BMqpr

02-07-2013 10:00 AM

As someone who uses the launderette weekly I agree that it is not 'pretty' but it is to me and a lot of other members of the Forest Hill community a very valuable resource.

I don't want a coffee shop, not another anyway and I'm not going anywhere so an Estate Agents is of even less use to me.

Please tell me where this other launderette that is only 3 mins away?

Herbert

02-07-2013 12:50 PM

I think the real problem lies in the fact that the business of a straight forward Launderette has over over the years become less and less viable.

I actually grew up next door to one and observed the decline it's decline. The cost of white goods has plummeted in recent years. IMO FHS got this very wrong, I understand that not everybody has a washing machine and this forum might not be a true cross section of our area. In reality though, I come from a low Income/High unemployment estate and even 15 years ago the vast majority of my friends and family had washing machines.

Rshdunlop, i'd love a "funky" Launrette on the site, but I really can't imagine that it's attractive as a business venture. Launderette's will become increasing rare.

I don't think it's realistic to try and keep the laundrette open to service a dwindling client base.

Herbert

02-07-2013 12:59 PM

On a separate note, It's positive the FHS are trying to engage the owner to tidy up the frontage and I'm very glad that FHS is around.

Anotherjohn

02-07-2013 07:38 PM

I reckon the FHSoc are getting too much of a kicking through people not really understanding what their objection is - or I may be wrong?

As I understand it they objected to the change of use to A2, which would allow office use for estate agency etc. The current 'sui-generis' use would not prohibit a normal A1 shop user taking it on if nobody fancies making a go of the launderette.

So the FHSoc's objection and the planning department's refusal does not mean that the premises must remain as a launderette - it could also be used for any normal A1 retail business.

Also, the freeholder doesn't have any obligation to smarten-up the shopfront except if it was deemed by the council to be so delapidated as to fall foul of its conservation area rules. So as this site is clearly so important to a great many people it might be an idea for the FHSoc, the council and the freeholder to get their heads together and work out a jointly funded resolution.

In the meantime, Pedder are probably appealing the planning refusal and, if they're successful, they will be reinstating the shopfront at their expense so I can't imagine the landlord wanting to put his hand in his pocket until the result comes back after about 6 months.

Finally, if Pedder do get it, their existing premises opposite Sainsburys would make a nice little launderette wouldn't it?

Chipcity

16-08-2013 08:22 PM

The launderette has been closed and does anyone know whether it has been sold and what the proposed use is?

michael

15-09-2013 02:28 PM

There has been an appeal lodged against the decision of Lewisham council to reject the application to turn this site into an estate agent. It may take 3-6 months for the planning inspector to make a decision. It will be an interesting test to see whether dry cleaners deserve greater protection than launderettes in core shopping areas.

Anotherjohn

16-09-2013 08:34 AM

Michael - I'm confused - what's the reference to dry cleaners please?

PollyEster63

16-09-2013 01:46 PM

We don't need another dry cleaners!! Isn't there one meant to be opening up near Robs barbers in Dartmouth rd?

Pages (8): « First < Previous 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Planning Application: 6-8 London Road admin 0 4,399 14-10-2007 09:11 PM
Last Post: admin