SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (8): « First < Previous 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Next > Last »
Planning: 2-4 London Road FH (Launderette)
Herbert

20-06-2013 11:16 PM

If that's the case, I hope the frontage is sorted out. It really does the area no favours.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
gbrownings

20-06-2013 11:19 PM

Oh dear. What a shame. Forest Hill to retain its major eyesore. We want a launderette in our "core shopping area"? For goodness sake, it was 2013 last time I checked my diary.

This post was last modified: 20-06-2013 11:19 PM by gbrownings.

Tomcat

21-06-2013 06:48 AM

Agree with gbrownings. Step out into the 'new and improved' FH and see, well, err, a launderette. Doubt most of FH will ever step inside it.

This post was last modified: 21-06-2013 06:53 AM by Tomcat.

michael

21-06-2013 08:20 AM

I also agree that the frontage of the launderette is a disappointing entry for visitors to Forest Hill, but that should not be the reason for a change of use class to A2.

The launderette is still used by quite a few people, it is a great way to wash duvets and pillows or rugs, that will not fit in your normal domestic machine. For others it is essential as they do not have a washing machine in their home. This was one of the reasons it was supported by a petition of 200 people objecting to the planning application.

I would be very happy to see a launderette open somewhere else on the high street and better use made of the existing unit. I can think of a number of more imaginative uses than a fifth estate agent on that junction. Think of some of the A1 shops that have opened in Forest Hill in the last few years; sweet shop, deli, butcher, boutique, haberdashery, and many others that get more daily footfall and would increase, rather than decrease, the vitality of the high street.

This was not a decision to keep the frontage looking uncared for, the freehold is for sale, and I'm sure the new owner will want to improve the frontage. The decision was about the balance of retail offering on our high street, in the core shopping area, on a key site. The committee rightly determined that the protections afforded to a core shopping area to keep the vitality of retail units rather than offices, meant that an estate agent was not helpful in this position.

stefan

21-06-2013 09:04 AM

shame, Forest Hills eyesore gateway

Herbert

21-06-2013 09:33 AM

Michael,

It wouldn't have been a 5th estate agent though would it? Simply Pedder moving to a different spot?

It's unlikely that an estate agent would have moved into the Pedder site as other units have been taken up with a range of businesses.

Shame, misguided by FHS this one in my opinion and the eyesore will remain. I received the FHS newsletter and there was a piece regarding the general look of the high st and how it could be improved. Sorting this building would be my first suggestion.

Red67

21-06-2013 10:06 AM

Looking at Michaels comment above, surely this decision is in favour of retaining A1 use as opposed to changing it to A2 which would have allowed the unit to be taken out of retail use, so to speak?? I think that's a 'good thing' personally, as i'd much prefer to see a shop (or launderette for that matter[/i]!) than an estate agent there. If the lease is still for sale it seems that all this decision has done is stack the odds in favour of something other than an office based business (estate agent) moving in - surely that's what most people want? Yes, the frontage is a disgrace at the moment, but i don't imagine that it'll be like that for too much longer. It's a great unit in a great position....have a bit of patience!

Perryman

21-06-2013 10:47 AM

Quote:
Step out into the 'new and improved' FH and see, well, err, a launderette.

That would be stepping out from the port-a-cabin styled station, and looking across 3 lanes of filthy traffic. (Mind the reversing trucks).
Give me a Launderette any day rather than a chick-you-like.

Tomcat

21-06-2013 11:06 AM

Well Perryman I take your point. But the South Circ will be forever the South Circ - no changes there - and the same applies to our station, we'll never get our grand Victorian edifice back. The key is to focus on what can be changed. In general terms an estate agent is sharply aware of image and in maintaining a business like presence. So - would likely at least maintain its frontage. The launderette is grim and I would submit only reinforces, rather than leavens, the problems you identify with the South Circ. More, who's to say how long, if ever, it will before a new, image conscious launderette proprietor sets up ? (I notice the lettering fell down over the frontage of the launderette at the foot of Brockley Rise months ago and still hasn't been replaced). Im no fan of estate agent "creep", but in comparison to what we have, it's a no brainer.

Herbert

21-06-2013 11:49 AM

Patience? I take your point Red, but I've returned to the area after 3 years away. I expected changes to it before I left, instead 3 years on its even more run down.

michael

21-06-2013 12:00 PM

Herbert wrote:
It wouldn't have been a 5th estate agent though would it? Simply Peddar moving to a different spot?

Leaders, Eaton, Winkworth, Robert Stanfords are all within a few metres of the junction. If Peddar were to move, they would be number 5 within 50 metres of the station, and the only one in the core shopping area (until you reach Acorn at the opposite end of the core shopping area, at the point the road turns to residential).

Belle

21-06-2013 12:06 PM

Herbert, wow that's very pessimistic! I moved to the area three years ago and in that time:

The new pools
FH monthly food market
From the Forest
St Davids Coffee house
Canvas & Cream
Aga's deli
The Butchery
The Montage
Doopoo Doopoo

Yes there is lots of room for improvement (especially the Perry Vale side of the station which is very shabby) but as far as I can see the FH Society and the Mary Portas project are doing a really good job for the community and without a bottomless pit of money.

Red67

21-06-2013 12:12 PM

Errrm, new (AMAZING) butchers, new deli, new pools, new cafes Portas pop-ups, FHS monthly market....i could go on.... I'm amazed at how much better the area looks and feels and that seems to have all happened in the last 3 years, but after 13yrs of living in FH (not as long as some on this forum, admittedly) and remembering how it was when we moved here, maybe my expectations are more modest/realistic?! All power to the people who've set up their own small businesses here recently and i think they should be celebrated. I look forward to seeing what happens with the old launderette unit, now that it's A1 retail status has been upheld.

Glasshalffull

21-06-2013 12:39 PM

I believe Herbert is referring to the Laundrette, not Forest Hill as a whole.

Herbert

21-06-2013 01:08 PM

Belle,

I love Forest Hill and its a great place to live, hence why on moving back to the UK I want to live here. I've not spoken about the area as a whole (which has made great improvements) I'm referring to a specific building which is one of the most prominent in the area.

This post was last modified: 21-06-2013 01:08 PM by Herbert.

Belle

21-06-2013 01:14 PM

Sorry Herbert, my mis-understanding! Thumbsup

Tomcat

21-06-2013 03:58 PM

The fact that FH has so obviously improved over recent years throws into relief the folly of retaining the launderette. The positive arguments about the unit remaining A1 are based on the view that somebody takes it up as such and improves it. Unfortunately that is not a given and sadly I think the rule of optimism has influenced the FH Soc on this one (Sterling work otherwise !) I think FH is a super place to live, I think the launderette is awful.

Chipcity

21-06-2013 04:46 PM

I agree that it is a shame for such a dilapidated frontage remains in such a prominent position. I have no views over the use if the frontage was kept up to a reasonable state of repair.

I have checked the freehold title and interestingly there does not appear to be any leasehold interests registered against it of either the units above (presumably residential?) or the launderette.

This indicates, although it is not conclusive, that the launderette is on a short term let although the term of the lease could be up to seven years as this is the trigger for registration. However, the launderette may in any event have security of tenure and be permitted to renew on the expiry of the lease.

I was mainly checking to try and to obtain a copy of the lease to ascertain whether the freeholder has the repairing obligation for the frontage or more likely the tenant.

It would be interesting to know whether anyone is aware if the residential units above are let to the launderette as if not then the change of the freehold may result in the freeholder enforcing the repairing obligation of the launderette tenant to ensure that any letting or in particular sale of the residential parts are not adversely affected.

The freehold was acquired back in 2000 for £165,000 so I suspect that the freeholder was content to maintain the income stream without trying to maximise the potential. Hopefully, any new freeholder purchasing at today’s rates will likely take a more commercial view and ensure that the property is kept in repair especially if the plan includes the sale of the residential parts.

This post was last modified: 21-06-2013 04:49 PM by Chipcity.

shzl400

21-06-2013 09:30 PM

There's several issues here:

1. Do we want a laundrette? For me the answer is definitely yes! I'm an albeit infrequent user, but it's useful for spring cleaning bedding that won't go in a domestic machine.

2. Do we want to improve the streetscene in Forest Hill - yes, the exterior of the laundrette is scruffy, but it could easily be tidied up, without necessarily a change of use. Can't some of the Portas money be spent on doing up shopfronts?

3. Do we want another estate agent in FH? What Nick M said on the Whitewood shop thread.

Glasshalffull

21-06-2013 10:47 PM

The Freehold of the building was purchased for £165,000 and is now up for sale at £450,000. Don't use public (portas) money to pay for the shop front let the freeholder pay for it.

Why have the laundrette owners never improved the frontage? The laundrette has done nothing to improve it's business offering over the years I have never used it as I have always thought my clothes would come out dirtier than when they went in.

I would like to see a small business open in the premises but I think the amount of money required to make the shop presentable is going to prohibit a small business taking the premises on.

Please lets not have another campaign to keep viable businesses out of a premises in the hope that an independent white knight on a steed is going to come and risk a small fortune on opening a business, it's highly unlikely to happen...

This post was last modified: 21-06-2013 10:48 PM by Glasshalffull.

Pages (8): « First < Previous 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Planning Application: 6-8 London Road admin 0 4,399 14-10-2007 09:11 PM
Last Post: admin