SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (8): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Next > Last »
Planning: 2-4 London Road FH (Launderette)
jalapeno

28-09-2012 10:19 AM

The Lemon Grove had them installed after a break-in one night.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cellar Door

28-09-2012 10:24 AM

Michael wrote:
What might work here is the German solution…

That idea is just begging for From The Forest and the Launderette to knock out the connecting wall between them. They’ll both clean up.

gingernuts

28-09-2012 10:43 AM

There's one thing having to go to the effort and expense of installing shutters for your business, then quite another of reaping the benefit of a building that already has them. I doubt if they would be removed, now this security feature is in place.

stefan

28-09-2012 10:52 AM

dont see anything wrong with shutters gingernuts - since they are there already its up to the new business to decide and if the business is open late the shutters will come down late - or is there a shutter fetish i havent heard about

gingernuts

28-09-2012 10:55 AM

I have no probem with shuters either. Just responding to someone on this thread who was complaining about the launderette with particular emphasis on it's shutters.

BMqpr

28-09-2012 12:51 PM

If this site loses the launderette that will be it for Forest Hill an amenity will be lost for good. Can you really see somebody else starting a new launderette with all the start up costs that will incur?

The majority of the customers to that site don't have cars, they would have to get a bus to Sydenham or wherever. These same customers do not need another cafe, or deli or estate agency, they generally can't afford to frequent those places on a regular basis. What they need is somewhere to get their clothes washed on a weekly basis in their own town centre, walking distance from where they live.

I'm a weekly user of the launderette does this count to my Totally Locally £5 a week? And all the other users of this local amenity?
I know a lot of people who are regulars like me, who have lived in the area for many many years, they mostly are not users of this forum so don't have a voice here. The high street should be for all members of the community.

The Forest Hill Society does a great job, but I ask them here to think about the residents of Forest Hill who are most at need of this service and if that means the aesthetics of the town centre are compromised slightly, well so be it.

I believe something needs to be done to help preserve what is a valuable part of where they live.

stefan

28-09-2012 01:10 PM

I understand that people would like to see a laundrette in Forest Hill but I dont get the point that it is for people of little income, the cost of a washing machine is far cheaper than doing the washing in a laundrette so that argument doesnt wash with me

michael

28-09-2012 01:18 PM

The launderette is a local business that will decide for themselves whether it is economically viable to continue trading. Like virtually all local businesses I hope they continue, although it wouldn't hurt to replace a few of the tiles on the shop front that keep falling off.

The Forest Hill Society does not shut down local businesses, instead it has been working increasingly hard to bring new businesses into the area to fill the large number of empty shops. I suppose the Forest Hill Society could fight to keep the launderette open, just like we fought for a swimming pool, but there is a difference between a publicly funded swimming pool and a private business with a private landlord.

I also hope this thread demonstrates that conversion to an estate agent (for example) would be a very difficult task in this location due to planning laws (which some, including Mary Portas and some in government, think should be done away with). I think this demonstrates why good planning regulations can help preserve such businesses in the high street.

Presumably when a launderette closes they attempt to sell off their old machines, which would be a good business opportunity for a local entrepreneur who might wish to set up a launderette themselves (possibly with a German cafe attached) in a unit with lower rents. If anybody is interested in such a business proposition the Forest Hill Society can put you in touch with landlords of suitable units around Forest Hill town centre.

BMqpr

28-09-2012 01:30 PM

I know the Forest Hill Society doesn't shut down businesses, and I didn't mean to imply that if it came across that way.

Also, I understand that it is a private business and he can do what he wants, to a degree, but I do think there is a case for trying to keep in the area an amenity that is useful for some parts of the community.

Let the High Street by everyone.

To answer Stefan, yes when you have a washing machine it works out to be more economical. But if you don't, and you're on a low income, and maybe can't credit, it's not always easy to get that washing machine in the first place. Trust me, I know.

gingernuts

28-09-2012 01:40 PM

What's a German cafe Michael?

michael

28-09-2012 01:53 PM
stefan

28-09-2012 02:06 PM

Fair point BM, didnt think of the credit aspect in my calculation

seeformiles

28-09-2012 02:58 PM

Stefan, for a lot of people the price of a new washing machine is beyond their means. It's finding that lump sum that's the issue, even if it's not a particularly expensive model.
Not everyone has access to credit either.

There are a whole lot of struggling people out there who don't qualify for tax credits to help bump up their meagre wages because they don't meet the minimum working hours criteria. Underemployment is becoming a real issue in this country.
These people often get forgotten, but I would imagine it's very difficult for them to save up £200 or so for a new washing machine.

It might not be particularly economical to pay a launderette to do your washing but some people have no choice.

I've worked with many of these people and I know the daily choices they have to make and they are simply unable to save up - that would be a luxury.

seeformiles

28-09-2012 03:04 PM

Apologies, just noticed that BM has already explained this point.

stefan

28-09-2012 03:18 PM

and i already said fair point Smile

shzl400

29-09-2012 06:07 PM

Quote:
I understand that people would like to see a laundrette in Forest Hill but I dont get the point that it is for people of little income, the cost of a washing machine is far cheaper than doing the washing in a laundrette so that argument doesnt wash with me

Cheapest machine at Bright House = £4.89 per week.

rbmartin

29-09-2012 06:14 PM

Quote:
Cheapest machine at Bright House = £4.89 per week.

Plus Bright House's extortinate APR. I'd rather have a laundrette for people to use in the town centre than for those customers to use a company who make their profits from the poorest people in society by overcharging them in interest for a washing machine that is cheaper if they could afford the price upfront.

ED has at least three laundrettes as an alternative, although they're down the other end of Lordship Lane instead of this end.

shzl400

29-09-2012 08:23 PM

Very much agree, rbmartin. I'm not a fan of Bright House at all. (Insert long rant about how the less money you have, the less access you have to the better financial opportunities.) But still cheaper to have your own machine, if you are running more than one wash a week.

rshdunlop

29-09-2012 08:30 PM

Don't forget that some people can be in rented accomodation with no plumbing for a machine. When this happened to me my landlord relented and got me an ancient twin-tub machine that attached directly to the kitchen sink taps. Box of Lux flakes and away you go. I suspect that's not an option these days.

roz

30-09-2012 07:22 PM

Most people cant wash a duvet or large blankets or curtains in a standard domestic washing machine. In addition you can only really wash what you are able to dry so sometimes occasional outsourcing is needed to get rid of a backlog. And machines break down. And flat leases often prevent washing machines being used after a certain time- when I lived in a flat I hardly got a chance to do any washing when I got home from work in the evenings so I would still just take it all to the launderette in the morning on the way to the station and pick it up all clean dry and folded on the way home. Perfick!

We now have an 8kg LG model which takes larger loads which is great ( can recommend this type) but still go to that launderette several times a year to have our larger items catered for. It isnt the prettiest town centre service but I'll bet that most people have been through its doors hence it will probably be missed more than people imagine.

In case anyone is interested JB Impress in East Dulwich Road also provide a laundry dry cleaning and ironing service and can collect and deliver in the evenings. We have also used them for a long time and they are excellent.

Pages (8): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Planning Application: 6-8 London Road admin 0 4,332 14-10-2007 08:11 PM
Last Post: admin