SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
article in the guardian - Do you feel rich
Cellar Door

18-09-2012 12:58 PM

Thanks daveherne for your original post. I have come back to the article quite a few times and printed it off. It is a curious thing about what makes us feel rich or poor. And how that has changed in my own life. Sometimes from my circumstances, sometimes from a change in thinking.

The first couple of pages of comments afterwards were also thought provoking reading. (After that it turns into a bit of a bun fight between Guardian readers. As it sometimes does and can be quite entertaining, on occasion.)

The pictures were very good. My eye kept on darting to them as I read each piece.

Especially the picture (by Richard Saker) of the supermarket checkout worker, aged 50, from Derbyshire. Combined with her comments, they were so overwhelming. My heart broke reading her first couple of sentences…

"It's payday tomorrow, and I'm rich for a few hours. Then that's it.”

It felt like she was hopelessly trapped in her life. And I was quite despondent until the last sentence, where she mentions her dream of working in conservation.

The businesswoman, aged 45, from London certainly raised a lot of comment. But I think she was probably slotted into the article for precisely that purpose. I chuckled at someone’s comment that she made a really good baddy.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: article in the guardian - Do you feel rich - Cellar Door - 18-09-2012 12:58 PM

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Article in The Guardian about Walters Way etc Poppy9560 7 8,103 18-09-2015 10:15 AM
Last Post: sydenhamcentral