SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
does anyone use streetcar?
thenutfield

08-04-2008 09:11 PM

hello world
baby number 4 is due any day now. As well as all the joy Smile, one of the (many) complications that he will bring with him is the fact that the whole family wont all be able to fit in our car at the same time. (Not like in my childhood, when we were stuffed into the boot, footwells, on each other's laps...but thats something for another thread!)

We are thinking of joining Streetcar, so we could rent an 'extra' car when we need to. There are a couple parked just up the road from us, so it could be quite neat. Does anyone have any experience of using it? Does it work? Any problems?

Any information gratefully received. Thanks in advance.

ps - if you don't know what I'm on about, look at http://www.streetcar.co.uk

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Snazy

08-04-2008 09:13 PM

From what I have heard its a novel idea, but due to the limited number of cars, can be quite frustrating if someone beats you to it.
Good luck trying it out, might give it a go myself one day, just to have a break from the norm.

grahamw

09-04-2008 11:32 AM

We used to use it quite a bit, and I thought it was really good. The only thing I got frustrated with (as mentioned above) is that you can bet that when you REALLY need to use it, it'll be booked out already. I think people tend to book quite a bit in advance.
The other thing was that you tend to book for the minimum time you need, and then if you get stuck in a jam or spend longer going to B+Q than you thought it ends up being a panic to get back!
Apart from those two points I thought it was really easy to use, simple to book and quite cheap. Only reason we stopped using is when we bought a car..
hope that helps

sydenhamcentral

10-04-2008 11:21 AM

I use it, its good. Only problems are making sure you are back in time otherwise it costs ?50 in fines.

I haven't had a problem with it being booked out as there are loads in the area.

You book it online, go to the car, swipe your card on the window, tap in your code in a machine in the clove box and you are off. The cars are VW golfs and they have air con, cd players and a plug for your ipod.

It costs 5.99 per hour INCLUDING petrol up to 70 miles a day (check the website as no doubt this will change).

It's a great idea.

e_r

10-04-2008 11:27 AM

We use it a lot. The cars in FH, HOP do not have too much demand on them. It really is a good service. The only problem is that sometimes the cars are not very clean because the system relies on people doing the right thing and cleaning them before returning them.

thenutfield

11-04-2008 09:12 PM

thanks everyone, really useful stuff.

JonJon

12-04-2008 03:59 PM

Yeah, i use it too and find it very handy.
The only other thing that i have to add to the above is that there are 4 cars within a 15 min walk of Forest Hill station including 2 in the station car park so if the closest one isn't available another usually is.
It's rare that i can't get one when i need one and i never book more than an hour in advance unless i need one for a long period at the weekend.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields