SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Topic Closed  Post Topic 
Pages (7): « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Next > Last »
SE23 v SE22
brian

18-07-2008 04:26 PM

Not sure what this has got to do with one of our finest hostelries , however I seem to recall the condom shop did not last very long. Seems little demand for contraceptives in SE 23.

Find all posts by this user
foxe

18-07-2008 04:36 PM

lol. Replied to the wrong post! Any link between my love of condom shops and public houses in forest hill is entirely unmeant.....

rather than being negative all the time we should perhaps have a thread where we nominate our favourite shops in forest hill for some SE23 awards? What do you think? They could put a sticker in their window as 'SE23 Community favourite"

I would like to nominate:

Rob's the barbers for excellent cost effective haircutting (and sensible opening hours!)
Cafe Jeera for good Indian food
Wok Express as our best value chinese of choice
Jolly B for lovely fish and chips

Any one else?

nevermodern

18-07-2008 04:50 PM

The condom shop...the bookies...some pubs...the launderette.

Sorry, not shops I love...just the one's you'd get rid off to decimate FH's high street even further, apparently Smile

Plenty of room for the new deli, at least Wink

I love the Dartmouth Arms, the Hob and Blythe Hill Tavern (see where I'm going here?), Lemon Grove, Tourag, Provender, the dry-cleaners opposite the Dartmouth, Sainsbury's, Jolly B (gorgeous fish and chips), and the Capitol when I want a bottle of wine after 11pm. (incidentally, if anyone knows an offie that's open after 11pm, a PM would be great)

reverendlionelblair

18-07-2008 05:43 PM

I really like the Costcutter to be honest, the croissants in the morning are a treat on a saturday and it not as expensive as most other shops like that are for day to day items. The staff are quite friendly as well.

Provender is nice but if you're on a budget its too expensive.

Smiler

18-07-2008 06:47 PM

Forest Hill Favs'

Job Centre, Paddy Power, Pawnbrokers, Bird in Hand.

Always in that order.

brian

19-07-2008 10:39 AM

Smiler I assume you meant Forest Hill Chavs not Favs , although understand we may offend using that word

Zeus

20-07-2008 10:44 AM

Oh here we go again. I dont see the point in having such a negative and sarcastic attitude to shops in Forest Hill. It's always the same couple of people too.

What's the pawnbroker, bookmakers and Bird in Hand got to do with Chav's anyway? I see an eclectic mix of races in any of these establishments. I havent seen many people in Burberry garments in the area since the 1980's when it was all the rage. In any case, when you say 'Chav'- do you mean white underclass scum? Why dont you just be brave a say that? I bet you havent the cajones to suggest there might be underclass scum of any other colour in certain establishments in Forest Hill? Not that I'm saying either exist - it just shows how some people on this board need to think before posting offensive comments.

Greengoddess

20-07-2008 11:24 AM

There used to be a fruit and veg. shop in PV several years ago, now William Hill and when they were closing down I asked them 'why' they said they didn't get enough customers and rates etc. were getting really expensive. If you don't get the patrons you can't stay in buisness and they were very good it was a family run. People complian about not having some facilities and then don't use them because 'oh there much dearer than the supermarket' and wonder why places close down. I would love to open a fruit and veg shop and include flowers but they would all be alot more expensive than the big chains. Anyway in the current 'recession' its all moot. If I win the lottery I'll open a shop to include allotement veg etc. aswell but will you all pay doulbe the price of the big chains..?????Confused

lolalola

21-07-2008 06:41 PM

Sadly there is no coordination re type of shops in Forest Hill.Hence all the estate agents and betting shops in Dartmouth Road.
There is no reason to go up there now the post office has closed.
Sadly, unlike Lordship Lane there is no Town Planner to oversee retailversusfood or anything else.
There is a glimmer of hope in perry vale with a fantastic furniture shop, but I suspect Forest Hill is dying a death commercially unlike East Dulwich.What a difference a planner makes

Greengoddess

21-07-2008 06:44 PM

Whendid the Post Office close in Darthmouth Road........ AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.... Where am I going to get my new Tax Disc.............aaaaaggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh !

Greengoddess

21-07-2008 06:54 PM

There are some great shops in Darthmouth Road, There's Hamiltons the Jewelers, The Provender, there's a pluming shop. Some nice resturants, a couple of hair dressers, a fab but expensive clothes shop, couple of cafe's, a hardware type shop, optitions...need I go on...! I thinl people should be more optomistic than pesimistic. Smile

reverendlionelblair

21-07-2008 07:00 PM

Its not that bad, it has some shops, it has some restaurants, it has a railway station and four pubs and it has an absolutely stunning museum gardens and one of the best libraries I've ever used. I've lived in worse areas...

East Dulwich is nice but its full of people who come across as w**kers and its chock full of p**sed up people after about eight o clock. Plus Somerfield is much more expensive than Sainsburys and Threshers is rubbish.

brian

22-07-2008 08:44 AM

Yes I agree with last two posters. It is not perfect but not terrible either. Take away the up market Bird in The Hand garden area and Paddy Power then Dartmouth Rd is not that bad. It does have The Conservative Office as well.
I think FH and other suburbs would be improved overnight by returning to original drinking hours leglislation .
12 to 2pm Sunday then 7 pm to 10.30 pm. Surely that is enough.
I cannot believe it when I see people getting alcoholic beverages at 9.00 am.

Baboonery

22-07-2008 09:23 AM

Right-wingers, there: all for personal freedom, unless it's the freedom to do something not to their taste!

Baboonery

22-07-2008 09:41 AM

Here we go again. All the betting shops in Dartmouth Road. All two of them, lola, yes. One of which is right by the station and is walked past by nearly everybody in FH every day without the world ending. Can't you just hold your nose? Alternatively, can't you just be a bit more tolerant of people who enjoy doing things that you don't enjoy and stop pretending that betting shop = decline of western civilisation? In an ideal world, I'd like to see Forest Hill without churches, but I don't moan that I can't go to Stanstead Road because I might have to walk past one.

The hatred, because that's what it is, of anyone who doesn't conform to the nice Village Green Preservation Society idyll (Bird in Hand/Paddy Power/Anyone who doesn't think the facade of the pools is an architectural marvel on a par with the Taj Mahal) is a bit much, to be honest. People like different things, and if they're not harming anybody else, let them get on with it.

I hate coming across as aggressive, and I really hope this post doesn't, but I'm really struggling to put up with the level of intolerance on this board. To get back to the point of the thread, I'm sorry to say that if SE22 is a bit more welcoming than SE23 is proving to be, I might pop up the road.

Londondrz

22-07-2008 09:46 AM

Where do you stand on nail bars?

brian

22-07-2008 10:03 AM

Apologies as usual I play devil's advocate.
I do think the current drinking laws are not a plus factor but appreciate not all people would agree with me.
Consider myself told of.

Baboonery

22-07-2008 10:07 AM

Well that one on London road ripped me off something terrible for my shocking pink rhinestone extensions the other day, so I shan't be going there again. [throws scarf over shoulder and walks off]

Londondrz

22-07-2008 10:15 AM

Agreed, my nail extentions fell off as I was servicing my motorbike, not a happy bunnyLaugh

brian

22-07-2008 10:53 AM

Sorry folks when someone mentioned nail bar I assumed a new DIY store , seemed strange to just sell nails not even screws.
Of course I do recall another sort. Not surprisingly never been across the threshold of a nail beauty parlour.
What did we do without them I wonder.
Anyway good luck to them as you have got to hand it to them as they employ people .

Pages (7): « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Wanted: 3-4 bed house to rent for a few months SE26, SE23, SE22 or SE6 mrs-m 0 2,406 06-06-2022 08:50 PM
Last Post: mrs-m
  Estate Agents for SE23/SE22 border derbybill 0 2,745 20-09-2012 07:55 PM
Last Post: derbybill