SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Reporting water leaks made easy
Snazy

28-08-2012 01:00 PM

Hey all, just thought I would share with anyone who didnt know. You can now report water leaks on the roads and streets via Twitter. Simply Tweet to @thameswater with #tweetaleak as the tag, and a location and even a picture of the issue.

Recently done this and the response was very fast for such a simple action.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MightyMouse

28-08-2012 05:55 PM

Perhaps I should have tried that for the offshoot of the mighty Colorado that has been gushing down Devonshire Road for what, the last fortnight now? Luckily the blue paint marks which were the only visible signs of potential action have today been joined by some traffic cones... Sadly the little warped bit of tarmac from which the water is bubbling is now a great big hole, and my water pressure is now such that it's not so much a shower as a spit, but maybe they'll get round to fixing it eventually.

Otherwise, I expect to wake one morning to find Old Faithful out there.

Still, hope we're all using water wisely, eh? Their ads say it's not a sprint, but a marathon. I didn't realise they were referring to their response times...

michael

28-08-2012 06:51 PM

Could this mean the end for the water feature on the South Circular outside WHSmith?

Snazy

29-08-2012 01:50 PM

The Devonshire one is flagged on their website as action pending.
As for the water feature outside Smith's I have not looked for that one. If its not there I will Tweet them a pic on the way to work tomorrow Smile

I take that back, neither are listed. I will Tweet the Smiths one in the morning though, promise. its like a new hobby lol

This post was last modified: 29-08-2012 01:55 PM by Snazy.

michael

29-08-2012 03:01 PM

I tweeted you my submission to @ThamesWater (I hope I got it right)

Snazy

29-08-2012 03:29 PM

Yeah I got the copy of the Tweet, nice one, lets see how long it takes now. Probably make me to be a liar now, and not get recorded.

MightyMouse

29-08-2012 06:19 PM

Ugh. The Devonshire Road one was listed until very recently then. However, I shall not despair - when there was a leak a few weeks ago a bit further down the road, that became unflagged about an hour before they turned the water back on. I think they have some weird thing where, when they class a problem as "nearly fixed", they unflag it.

Strange but true...

Snazy

30-08-2012 11:12 AM

I see Devonshire is back on the map, Church Rise has disappeared off it, and Dartmouth doesnt seem to have ever shown. All re-highlighted now lol

Snazy

05-09-2012 02:36 PM

It would appear Dartmouth has been stopped now, and Church Rise has been assessed and marked up for digging soon. Should cause a bit of disruption at the top of the road.

So, tweeting leaks works.
May the tweets continue.
I wonder what other services will be accepting Twitter as a form of reporting soon.

Snazy

06-09-2012 05:59 PM

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnd Dartmouth is leaking again now, me and my big mouth.

michael

11-09-2012 06:37 AM

It is still leaking badly on Dartmouth Road but don't worry, it has a cone next to it now. Well done Thames Water for a quick response.

After a summer of rain they must be trying to empty their reservoirs of all this strange clear liquid that keeps building up.

kelmscott

11-09-2012 08:19 AM

Snazy
The water leak outszide WH Smith is closer to the William Hill betting shop. Passers by are getting splashed with water If a vehicle goes over the water. The betting shop manager their (Julie) told me that she reported it to Thames Water and they did come and make a note of it. No action taken though.

Snazy

11-09-2012 11:33 AM

lol @ Michael I love your line on it. Maybe that should be our next approach on Twitter.
Re-reported, and as you say a cone has appeared, now to sort it. Gonna cause chaos though, so maybe one for the weekend.

Sunderland road has a lovely fresh water spring too, which is noted on their site. The dogs love a paddle in it, and a drink on the way home. Thumbup

MightyMouse

11-09-2012 05:54 PM

If the one on Devonshire Road is anything to go by, it took 2.5 weeks from being reported to any substantive action. Something "happened" most days, to lull me into a false sense of security (traffic cone here, dab of blue paint there), but nothing actually useful took place until the day after I finally called them in a huff to see when they were going to do anything more than paint arrows pointing at the huge hole...

So whilst flagging things via Twitter is cool, I'm not convinced it'll spur them into action - they seem to need it to affect people's water pressure (I ended up with a trickle where my shower should be) before they'll start digging roads etc.

Hope I'm wrong, obviously!

michael

12-09-2012 09:53 AM

@thameswater

Quote:
we have investigated the leak and will be performing maintenance in the next few days. Kate

Snazy

12-09-2012 11:40 AM

MM, the main reasons for using Twitter is the fact that it is public and searchable, and not hidden within their website. Them failing to acknowledge it is their own downfall if indeed this were the case.

There is a difference between investigating it and prioritising it for repair. All leaks I have reported have received some kind of attention pretty quickly, and have been publicly acknowledged quickly by @thameswater as Michael's quote shows.

I agree, the outcome and action is not always what we want or expect, but personally I find it handy to be able to snap a picture and tweet it immediately, rather than filling out long forms etc.

I am sure if they were pressed into explaining the prioritising practise, they would give more info why some seemingly 'bad' leaks are left for a long time.

ChrisR

12-09-2012 04:04 PM

There is definately a vast difference between investigation by Thames Water and the actual repair. It is now two weeks since the Sunderland Rd leak was investigated and the spot marked with blue paint. Since then the water pressure for many of us in the vicinity particularly those in upper floor flats and/or with combi boilers has got worse. After chasing for the second time today I have been told that the job should have been done on September 2nd but seems to have been "suspended" by the appointed contractors without any explanation or referral back to Thames Water! So it seems we start all over again and carry on dreaming of a nice hot shower and using the washing machine!!

Snazy

12-09-2012 10:25 PM

The rate that leak is losing water at is truly shocking, especially to have been left for so long. Ok so my dogs love a paddle in it, and a drink up the hill, but it needs sorting.
Maybe that will be my target on Twitter tomorrow. The more pressure, the sooner you will get your pressure back.
The one at the top of Church Rise has been going for almost years. On a dry day you can see it seeping out of the tarmac all over the place, so the whole roadway is compromised.

Snazy

13-09-2012 09:27 AM

Sunderland now being chased up by Jon at Thames Water. Let's see.

ChrisR

13-09-2012 09:34 AM

Thanks Snazy - finger's crossed!

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Devonshire Road Water leaks shzl400 2 4,444 28-01-2015 09:20 AM
Last Post: bonobo