SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Planning to move to Forest Hill
Hayward223

23-09-2012 07:06 PM

Hello,

I am looking to move to Forest Hill over the next few months, and was hoping I could get a bit of advice.

Are there any roads to stay away from? And particular parts of the area to avoid? Also, I noted crime rate is quite high in FH, have you experienced this?

I have seen a nice place in woolstone road, is that a decent area?

Thanks,

Adam

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nottinghillbilly

23-09-2012 10:18 PM

Hi Adam,

We moved here just over a year ago from Notting Hill, knowing nothing about the area (and South London in general) we just went on a gut feeling and took the plunge.
We love it here, theres a great sense of community that I dont think you'd find in many areas of London.
Is there crime? yes-like in most inner city areas, and in fact when I read the statistics on the area I'd moved from I was shocked at just how high they were as I always felt very safe there.
I would say go for it, I was burgled when I lived in Chelsea and mugged in Notting Hill-both 'Posh' areas.

rshdunlop

24-09-2012 07:07 AM

Woolstone Road is a nice area, yes. To be fair, most areas are safe and neighbourly. I wouldn't put too much stock in those crime statistics - it feels as safe to me, and in many ways safer, than other areas of London where I have lived. I can't think of any areas to avoid, but others may.

These are exciting times in FH, with the Dartmouth and London Road areas (near the station) attracting lovely new independent businesses and the pools having reopened with an amazing new building. Add to that the new transport links provided by the Overground, and I think FH looks like a really nice prospect.

Belle

24-09-2012 11:39 AM

We moved to FH two and a half years ago from ED. Great transport links into London (takes 15 mins to get to London Bridge and you can be in Bond Street in under 45 mins door to door). Lots of exciting developments in FH and in our time we've had a number of shops opening (Stag & Bow, Sugar Mountain, BB Cads and DooPoo among others), four new coffee shops (Teapot, Canvas & Cream, St David's and From the Forest - all very nice) and the pools more recently. The place seems to be genuinely on the up! I agree with the strong community spirit and I can't ever remember not feeling safe (no more crime here that any other part of London). Anywhere is good location wise, just depends on your budget really. The area around the Horniman is the most pricey generally and some might argue Honor Oak but lots of nice streets across the area. I have definitely noticed more young professionals moving to the area and the new flats seem to be selling quickly if activity on our street is anything to go by. I don't think you'll regret moving to the area; it ticks many boxes!

HCT77

24-09-2012 12:29 PM

We've been on Woolstone Road for a couple of years and love it, good neighbours, nice leafy street and you are have both Forest Hill & Catford stations in walking distance which gives you lots of travel options.

HCT77

24-09-2012 12:29 PM

We've been on Woolstone Road for a couple of years and love it, good neighbours, nice leafy street and you are have both Forest Hill & Catford stations in walking distance which gives you lots of travel options.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Planning application to convert Forest Hill Co-op to a hotel hillview 12 12,961 10-03-2018 01:34 PM
Last Post: Uhuru
  Move to Forest Hill FH2016 6 9,236 26-01-2016 04:34 PM
Last Post: jdj
  Strategic Planning for Forest Hill Town Centre michael 24 25,330 05-03-2015 06:40 AM
Last Post: Erekose
  Let's move to Forest Hill michael 40 41,461 02-05-2013 01:12 PM
Last Post: Novels
  Planning to move to Forest Hill (or ED) alimc 21 28,076 05-04-2013 10:04 AM
Last Post: foresthillfan
  Move to Forest Hill or Honor Oak Park? ourkid025 14 28,824 14-11-2011 02:57 PM
Last Post: rmurraywest