SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Parking Policy Review
michael

09-08-2012 09:29 PM

Lewisham are currently undertaking a review of parking policy. There is a consultation document available at:
http://lewisham-consult.objective.co.uk/...icy_review
If you have any views on CPZs, on street parking, or car parks in Lewisham then I would encourage you to complete the survey.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
InTheForest

12-08-2012 02:07 PM

Have gone and filled it in. Do they think they made it that long to put people off? Wink
Did feel the some of the questions were rather presuming CPZ introduction. Surely they haven't decided until they've consulted...?

nottinghillbilly

12-08-2012 07:35 PM

Very long survey, and yes I got the impression they intend to introduce a CPZ which is a sure-fire way to destroy the regeneration of our high street as its only just beginningThumbdown

jgdoherty

13-08-2012 12:25 PM

I seem to recall being invited to engage in a similar consultation a few years ago and the papers were hand delivered to the properties around us - all five days after the closure date for submissions.

This process seems to repeat that cycle of consultation in a very short cycle.

The current version is long - and does seem pre-disposed to the adoption of CPZ's. Unfortunately after having completed mine online the LBL system crashed and did not issue a confirmation of receipt. I await a response from them advising if the submission was processed or not.

The implementation of CPZ's are the very thin edge of a long wedge. I believe they are appropriate in only very limited and specific circumstances and then only where on-street parking becomes precious in areas adjacent to rail stations where improved services induce commuters to park-and-ride at that station.

Anecdotal tales of horrendous problems in other London boroughs with overly complex processes of acquiring permits and visitor permits are common and once implemented, LA's find it difficult to resist the escalation of prices or increasing the footprint of CPZ's as they become dependent on the income stream.

No Longer Registered

13-08-2012 12:50 PM

I think we all know the arguments for and against CPZ and in an ideal world a reasonable approach that reflects the views of the majority will prevail.

In the meantime spare a thought for the residents of Devonshire Road near Honor Oak station.

As I walked to the station early on Saturday I noticed a couple parking on Devonshire Road who then walked to the station with suitcases. From their conversation on the platform it was clear they were off on holiday.

For those that live near popular commuter stations commuter parking must be bad enough. Holiday parking is surely beyond the pale.

Erekose

13-08-2012 09:45 PM

Thanks for pointing this out - it does seem loaded towards Borough wide CPZ's but I'm sure they haven't made their mind up yet..... I agree that they tend to be negative for High Streets and put off casual visitors.

Southlonder

13-08-2012 09:58 PM

I have filled it in I am in favour. Selfish commuters who park on my road can go to hell

nottinghillbilly

13-08-2012 10:35 PM

I have to say that having previously lived for many years in the borough's of Westminster and Kensington And Chelsea where,even with residents permits you have a snowball in hells chance of parking outside your home, (or even on your own street) That parking a few paces from ones front door is a luxury, and also not really a neccesity, I would rather forgo parking outside my house in favour of allowing local small independent businesses to thrive. I saw what CPZ's did to the trade in north kensington when they introduced them there (I think it was sometime in the mid-late '90's) and it really did kill local shops and pushed people to shop in Sainsburys on Ladbroke grove where they could park.
I am strongly against, for reasons previously mentioned.

Londondrz

14-08-2012 07:21 AM

The problem is prior to the CPZ introduction the small independent trader had no chance of parking in Waldenshaw or St Davids roads as they were full of commuter cars (other roads are available). Post CPZ and local residents can actually park in their roads and local traders have a discounted parking permit.

I for one am very glad we have a CPZ.

I am not so happy at the cost post introduction and have voiced my opinion on the subject in the consultation document.

Cheeky

14-08-2012 08:40 AM

No parking between 10:00-11:00 , 11:00-12:00 , 12:00 - 13:00 etc down different roads should do the trick, shoppers can find a parking space somewhere at the time they shop and local residents will have their parking spaces back. Everyone's a winner (apart from the commuters (or holiday makers!!!) who park there).

daveherne

14-08-2012 09:04 AM

pretty common is 12-2. that stops all commuters.

michael

14-08-2012 09:18 AM

Cheeky, you are right that this is a good system, but unless residents are going to move their cars in the middle of the day they need residents' permits, which means everybody in quite a large area is going to be paying to park in their street. Sounds suspiciously like a CPZ.

Cheeky

14-08-2012 09:42 AM

Yes sorry, forgot to mention that of course residents would need to have a residents parking permit in their car.

Is there any reason why these cannot be given to them for free, along with some free day permits for friends etc? Why do people always have to pay for parking permits on their own street, is it for admin etc?

blushingsnail

14-08-2012 02:09 PM

According to the text of the survey, the government stipulates that CPZs have to be self-financing. Not sure if that means each individual CPZ, or across all CPZs in any one borough. So the prices of the permits have to be high enough to at least cover the cost of implementing the CPZ (plus any 'profit' the Council want to make).

HOPcat

30-08-2012 10:54 AM

Erekrose, I too have concerns about CPZs and the often rigid way they are introduced. However, there might be a sensible compromise for roads being used as all-day commuter parking by people using stations on the new Overground extension. A CPZ that operates Monday-Friday between 12noon and 2pm would clear away the all-day commuter and cheeky holiday parkers while allowing people several hours free parking morning and afternoon for shopping or for business in the area. Paid-for parking should be available between 12 and 2pm, and residents' permits and visitor permits should be low priced to reflect the limited nature of the restrictions. Herne Hill introduced this system for roads close to the station and it seems to work well and fairly.

daveherne

30-08-2012 01:19 PM

It does work well in Herne Hill. And without it HH would be overrun with cars during the week. The permits are not that expensive either.

HOPcat

30-08-2012 04:46 PM

That's really helpful, daveherne. Out of interest, what do your permits cost there?

daveherne

30-08-2012 04:49 PM

About 120 quid.

Medley

31-08-2012 02:32 PM

I can see a case in limited circumstances. But my road is not heavily parked and there is no justification whatever for taking £120 or whatever amount off me and everyone else there per year for a system which will probably - granted, not certainly - but cumbersome to administer and live with.

And I totally agree with the thin end of the wedge point - the experience in Catford shows that once introduced, the prices and complications go one way - up - and at one speed - fast.

FHSoc

10-09-2012 03:51 PM

Please make sure you fill in the survey. It was announced at the Sydenham Assembly that the contract for parking and enforcement is up for renewal next year, which is one of the factors that has stimulated this review. The results from the survey could affect parking policy in Lewisham for the next 10-15 years.

Do not complain that nobody asked you Wink

Paper copies of the survey are supposed to be available from libraries, housing offices, the parking shop and access point (which I think is at Laurence House, Catford)

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields