SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
New Cross to Victoria Cycle Superhighway
ryananglem

05-12-2012 01:21 PM

TfL have just announced a consultation for the proposed CS5 from New Cross to Victoria.

TfL Consultation

They are proposing a number of mandatory cycle lanes interspersed with a what amounts to a few strips of blue paint on the road - finishing up at the Vauxhall gyratory where they encourage cyclists to cross 4 lanes of traffic to make it from one part of the cycle lane to the other.

Now, I agree that getting infrastructure in place is a good step in getting people out of cars and onto bikes - but I currently cycle to Victoria every day and go through Burgess Park and the back streets of Southwark and only have about a mile (a portion of the Old Kent Road) on main roads that I have to share with cars/trucks etc. The rest of the time I follow the existing London Cycle Network paths.

Surely the best way of encouraging more people onto bikes and avoiding the danger of traffic for both drivers and cyclists, is to not put bike lanes near heavy traffic? Am I missing something?

Also - as an aside, I have used some of the cycle superhighways quite a bit, and even thought I am what you might call an experienced cyclist, I am always a bit worried using them. They are too narrow and cars seem to swerve in and out of them at will.. not to mention the cyclists!

Does anyone else ride in the direction of Victoria each day? Will this benefit them?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Applespider

05-12-2012 08:52 PM

I do. I go from near the Horniman and go through Dulwich via Herne Hill, Brixton, Stockwell and Vauxhall. I'll only really encounter CS5 for the last stretch from Vauxhall since it finishes close to Victoria Station rather than the gyratory. I think it's a bit disingenuous to say that they encourage cyclists to cross 4 lanes of traffic; their less preferred option does it but that's what public consultation is about.

If CS5 offers a better rider experience along Camberwell New Road, I'd consider changing my route since that's what makes me not go in that direction now!

Personally, I prefer cycling on wider main roads particularly if they have bus lanes rather than the back streets. There tend to be fewer parked cars, there's less likelihood of cars squeezing past me, the road surface tends to be better and less change of being doored. And... I get lost less frequently!

I do agree that the current CS are a mixed bag. Bits are good... and bits are awful. They are often too narrow and still disappear too regularly at key junctions.

On the CS5 proposal, I do like the new option to legally turn right at one of the junctions on Vauxhall Bridge Road. That means cyclists aren't forced into the gyratory system once they reach Neathouse Place although it still means a bit of a detour through the back streets.

I also like the better provision southbound on Vauxhall Bridge where the current cycle lane is ridiculously small. I support TFL's second option of making it a shared bus/cycle lane rather than a ramp up onto the pavement and a shared footpath. There are always people rushing for trains across Vauxhall Bridge who end up stepping into the cycle lane now when it's on the road - it will be even worse if it's part of the footpath. Plus, there are quite a few cyclists who come off the bridge and want to head for South Lambeth Road - if the cyclepath is on the carriageway, there's still scope for us to filter across to the right lane. If it's on the pavement, it's going to be a long slow progression around the existing shared footpath waiting for all the toucan signals.

I'm dubious about how well the Early Bird traffic lights will work but will reserve judgement til I see them.

The biggest confidence boost I got as a new commuting cyclist a few years ago was the free cycle lesson from Southwark Council which gave tips on road positioning etc and then experience. I used to take the 'slow' bike route around the Vauxhall gyratory but now it depends on the light phasing. Most mornings now, I just take the lane and go around it with the cars.

ryananglem

06-12-2012 02:35 PM

It will have to be a pretty good upgrade (though for the money allocated it should be!) for me to change my route. In the mornings, cruising along Lambeth Road after the leafy (in the summer) Borough Road is simply a pleasure, this is topped off with the views of the Houses of Parliament from Lambeth Bridge.

As I do temp work though, my commute changes from time to time with my jobs - but this has been one of my favourites so far.

I do understand about Camberwell New Road though, it would be good to have that available as a cycle commuter option - at the moment the traffic and the surface make it an unpleasant experience.

I understand that there have been a number of revisions before this consultation was made public - so perhaps they are starting to think about it how it will be used.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields