SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (3): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] Last »
Forest Croft
BT

23-01-2009 09:18 AM

I used to for many years, but not any more.
I now live just outside Norwich, Not quite the end of the world but you can see it from here Thumbup

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
chat

23-01-2009 09:19 AM

thanks everyone for the very useful info!

essjaygee

26-01-2009 10:25 AM

We need an SE23 forum handshake so we know who we all are!

fnamna

01-08-2010 01:56 PM

Hi,

We're looking at buying a flat in Forest Croft and found this thread.

I was wondering if there was any update on the management company, service charge, & maintenance situation? I know anywhere can have issues with managements companies but would be good to get an idea of any major works that are upcoming.

Also, does anyone else have/ know of anyone with issues with mold in the block? Flat we're looking at has extensive mold I don't think there was any ventilation in the form of air blocks/ extractor fans. Sounds daft, but would there being planning objections/ other objections to fitting vents & air blocks?

Really love the flat, and the block so hopefully good news on these fronts!

Many thanks in advance!

F

nevermodern

01-08-2010 04:18 PM

Many '30s buildings have condensation-related mold problems. This is often related to double glazing being fitted without trickle vents. If you do buy, the first thing you should do is see about retro-fitting trickle vents to all the windows in the flat. I got mine done, and at around 70 quid per vent, it's not that expensive. It also helps if your chimney isn't blocked up as that acts as a major ventilator in the living room. You'll be surprised at how much this might do the trick with the mould.

If this doesn't work, there should be no problem in fitting ventilation, as long as you do it in connection with the managing agent, as technically the outside walls aren't yours to mess around with!

fnamna

05-08-2010 02:25 PM

Thanks for the advice nevermodern.

Offer has been made, and we're back for a second viewing this weekend. will have to be observant about what other people have done with regard to vents, etc. not that necessarily makes any difference as 'the rulles' may have changed since theirs were done.

Also slightly concerned that the, as yet, unidenified garage might have an asbestos roof/ lining!

Artdeco

05-12-2010 11:36 PM

Hello everyone, I have just read this great blog about Forest Croft as I am interested in buying a property there. It answers many questions or at least makes me aware of many issues as well as the very good sides of living of living there. Fnamna mentions asbestos in the garages but does anyone know if there are similar concerns in the main building itself? and regarding the roof and lining... since i am considering buying on the top floor i was wondering if there were updates about work being done or that will be done in the near future ? I currently live in Canada Water and by chance found out about forest hill and Taymount rise.... it is a really inspiring part of London, quiet and yet in the middle of this large city ! if anyone has advice or news about FC, please do not hesitate. Artdeco

tsanctuary

14-07-2011 06:10 PM

I am thinking of buying a flat in Forest Croft but would be keen to move the boiler from its current location (in the bedroom) to kitchen or bathroom.
Moving to the bathroom would mean the flu vent coming out onto the balcony, moving to the kitchen would mean flu vent out onto a communal balcony (appears only to be used by two of the flats for storage and drying clothes) which is covered and therefore would require the flu to be extended so that it clears this area.
Are their any residents of the building who have tried to do similar things? What was your experience. What is the current management company like? As it is communal space it presumably would have to be cleared by them and the other residents in that part of the building.
A side issue.....is the 2000 service charge in the building justified do you feel?

I'd be very grateful for any help with this matter
Tom

East Ender

16-05-2012 04:57 PM

Hello, I am also considering buying a flat in Forest Croft. Hope this is not hijacking your thread! Can somebody please give me an update about the position with service charges and outstanding maintenance issues? What are the current service charges? Are there any lump sums about to be levied? Are there any structural problems with the building? The rear of the development in particular seems to be very run down - is there a plan to address this? Many thanks in advance

This post was last modified: 16-05-2012 04:58 PM by East Ender.

East Ender

28-05-2012 11:06 AM

Hi, Just wondering if anyone has seen my post? Would much appreciate any replies.... Thanks.

Jen83

10-06-2012 05:15 PM

I looked into buying a flat in Forest Croft a couple of months ago but was also concerned with the internal up keep. I enquired with the owner and he stated a re-furb was going to be completed, however seeing as this thread goes go back to 2008, no work has been completed.

Additionally the communal door is extremely insecure, anyone can just walk in (no entry phone system) and it does not even lock! Easy picking for our local burglars.

These factors really put me off a otherwise perfect first time buy.

roz

10-06-2012 07:58 PM

Its very unsettling. A friend had a flat there and he was required to pay around £15k towards major repairs and a sinking fund and that was some years ago. Perhaps they just never managed to raise that kind of money so didnt proceed. I thought that the freeholders interests were being managed by Kinleigh Folkard and Hayward. Its interesting as this is I think a leaseholder owned company and it seems to suggest that its difficult to get things done. Vale Lodge where I used to live is canvassing leaseholders to buy the freehold. Personally I think thats a mistake as you will never really know who your landlord is with such a buyout whereas at least you can pursue a third party more easily to do work etc. I think unfortunately this might be a case in point.

BT

11-06-2012 08:41 AM

Roz

I don't know where your friend got £15k from.

I lived in Forest Croft until 6 years ago and the only lump sum we were asked to pay was just before I left and was about £3k for external decoration and repairs. I lived there for over 30 years and this was the only time we were ever asked for a sum over and above the Service Charge.

Kinleigh were the managing agents for a number of years and were not the best. I understand they have now been replaced.

The leaseholders of F/C each own a portion of the Freehold and were issued new 999 year leases, and are in effect their own landlords. Its a matter of setting up the right sort of Company. The one big advantage is that you do have a say in how things are run and the long lease overcomes the problem of leases becoming shorter and affecting property values.

BT

11-06-2012 08:58 AM

Roz

Just an after thought, but it wasn't Taymount Grange where your friend lived was it? They are well known for levying large additional sums for repair works.

Wood_Vale

25-09-2012 05:11 PM

I'm not too hopeful of any positive responses but here goes...

Does anyone currently live in Forest Croft that could provide an update on the Management situation please? I am considering buying in the block but complaints about maintenance dating back to 2008 don't sound very positive. I think the most worrying comment was written about the deterioration of the roof and it doesn't sound like this has been addressed. I would really appreciate anyone's insight or experience.

Thanks very much!

Medley

26-09-2012 10:55 AM

If what Bt says is right about the freehold having been acquired then the situation should be reasonably positive.

We bought out our freehold a year and a bit ago. While it hasn't been an always-easy journey we have been able to make substantial improvements to the appearance, maintenance and repairing of the block while lowering the service charge.

moniwaller

17-04-2014 01:47 PM

Hi

Sorry to hijack the thread, I am new here, so Hello, I wanted to ask a question regarding the new management company, M H Associates. They may be taking over management of my block and I wonder if you all had any updates on their service. I am happy to pay whatever the going rate is, but I want to be sure I will get a service, (my property to has been mis managed for many years, so I guess I am super cautious. Any thoughts would be really helpful

thank you

M

Pages (3): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Forest Croft Flats Mylesiebrown 0 3,786 09-05-2013 04:09 PM
Last Post: Mylesiebrown
  Forest Croft maintenance work- what's the deal? Londongirl 1 4,341 11-12-2012 04:04 AM
Last Post: bendofislands