SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
High kerbs near HOP
BarCar

21-04-2008 02:27 PM

Does anybody have any experience of getting the kerbs dropped along the length of a road where parking is half-oh-half-off the pavement?

Some of the roads just to the north east of Honor Oak Park station (still in SE23) have very high kerbs and parking is a bit of a nightmare without taking a run up which has resulted in several punctures which I'm aware of.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bigjulie

21-04-2008 02:50 PM

Park on the road.

steveb

21-04-2008 02:51 PM

Are the pavements marked out for parking? If not, its probably illegal, and inconvenient for pedestrians.

BarCar

21-04-2008 02:52 PM

The pavements are marked for parking and the roads are too narrow to park on the road and allow traffic to pass freely.

davidl

21-04-2008 03:37 PM

Which roads do you mean? I think that in most cases where the pavement has been partially designated for car parking the council tends to drop the kerb anyway. If it's not been dropped it may be that parking isn't allowed.

BarCar

21-04-2008 05:12 PM

davidl wrote:
Which roads do you mean? I think that in most cases where the pavement has been partially designated for car parking the council tends to drop the kerb anyway. If it's not been dropped it may be that parking isn't allowed.

I'm referring to the ladder roads between Grierson Road and Stondon Park (Riseldine, Tatnell, Parbury, etc).

Parking is definitely, officially supposed to be part on, part off the kerb at the direction of the road signs and markings. I've no idea how long this has been in place but the kerbs were definitely not dropped when it was implemented and on some of the roads it's like parking on the edge of the white cliffs of Dover.

wayfarer

22-04-2008 09:24 AM

I spoke to the council about getting these kerbs dropped when we first moved in. I was advised that due to the cost (approx ?20,000) this is something they would not do - I have not pursued this further.

andrewr

22-04-2008 11:06 AM

These roads are not the only ones where parking on the pavements is supposed to be encouraged but is actually virtually impossible. Tewkesbury Avenue is another example. If I recall rightly, the road was resurfaced with new (high) kerbs AFTER pavement parking had been authorised. Is there a lack of joined up thinking here?

Barney

23-04-2008 12:37 PM

It's perfectly possible to park on the kerb in these roads but the secret is to do it in reverse.

bigjulie

24-04-2008 12:17 AM

Pavement parking is never "supposed to be encouraged". When most cars park on the pavement in one street there is a compromise - lines are drawn to try and contain this abuse. OK, if you are going to do it only do it up to this point.
Should it be made easy to park on the pavement?
No, I don't think so. Pavements are for pedestrians.

BarCar

24-04-2008 08:16 AM

bigjulie wrote:
Pavement parking is never "supposed to be encouraged". When most cars park on the pavement in one street there is a compromise - lines are drawn to try and contain this abuse. OK, if you are going to do it only do it up to this point.
Should it be made easy to park on the pavement?
No, I don't think so. Pavements are for pedestrians.

According to Lewisham:

Lewisham Council wrote:
Pavement parking is allowed under certain circumstances and signs and white boxes on the ground show where and how far on the pavement it is permitted to park.
Where pavement parking is permitted, markings on the footway will indicate the extent of the area where you can park, and 'pavement parking area starts' and 'pavement parking area ends' signs will be displayed.
you may only park on the footway where there is a signed exemption from the footway parking ban. In other words the signs will be displayed and there will be markings on the footway indicating where you may park.

Sounds like official policy and not a compromise exercise to me. This clearly applies on the streets in question which are too narrow otherwise. The remaining footpath is plenty wide enough for pedestrians, prams, buggies, wheelchairs, etc. Parking on the footpath where it is not formally permitted is obviously idiotic and inconsiderate. People who do so deserve to be ticketed but that does not apply on the streets concerned here.

The original question is, where it is official council policy for parking to be partially on the pavement, shouldn't they adjust the kerbs to make this achievable without damaging your vehicle?

bigjulie

24-04-2008 01:03 PM

Also on the above webpage:

Why is pavement parking a problem?

"Pavements are constructed and provided for pedestrian use. Vehicles parked on pavements are:

a hazard to pedestrians causing an obstruction which may result in them having to step off the pavement onto the highway thus putting themselves in danger
a hazard by restricting the width of the pavement making it difficult for someone with a pushchair or wheelchair to pass safely - again this person may have to step into the highway to avoid the obstruction
a hazard due to the damage caused by driving on and off the pavement - e.g. broken flags."

Of course it is a compromise. The clue is "Pavements are constructed and provided for pedestrian use". The easiest/cheapest way for the council to deal with the issue of pavement parking is this fudge. Just because it is legal doesn't mean it is not a compromise. There is a big assumption here that the pavements should be rebuilt (at considerable cost) for parking. One day, under more enlightened policy, the pedestrians might get their pavements back. If they are dug up now that will be less likely to happen.

Baboonery

24-04-2008 01:33 PM

Could someone tell the motorists who park three-quarters on the pavement at the bottom end of Dartmouth Road, please? There was a Volvo 4x4 so close to my front door the other day I could hardly get out.

Parking of this nature was supposed to have been banned when the bays further up Dartmouth Road were upgraded last year, but no.

NewForester

24-04-2008 03:44 PM

Baboonery wrote:
here was a Volvo 4x4 so close to my front door the other day I could hardly get out.

Ahhh... the urban definition of "Off Roading" Wink

brian

26-04-2008 03:30 PM

I am afraid I believe pavements are for pedestrians. If there is not enough space on the road then park somewhere else or do not have a car.

Sherwood

26-04-2008 09:44 PM

Baboonery,

I suggest you ask lewisham Council to install some bollards.

BarCar

26-04-2008 11:19 PM

brian wrote:
I am afraid I believe pavements are for pedestrians. If there is not enough space on the road then park somewhere else or do not have a car.

Yeah - that's going to work for all the people who live on the affected roads.

brian

27-04-2008 06:12 PM

Surely when moving into an area one would consider , if one had a car , the logistics of parking it. If not possible except parking on pavement surely you would either not move there or not have a car.
Pavements should be for pedestrians , surely this is common sense

Sherwood

27-04-2008 08:59 PM

It is also the law.

BarCar

27-04-2008 10:48 PM

Sherwood wrote:
It is also the law.

Except where it isn't the law.