SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
1960 to 1964 anybody from that time
Harveys John

28-06-2012 10:06 AM

I went to Forest Hill School at that time and was put in Harvey 5. Tutor master was Mr Dixon and house master was Mr Francis. Two friends I remember were, (the late) Alan Vincent, what a loss, John Young. Can't remember others.
Mr Boone made me interested in maths he was very good but, alas my maths interest left me when he went else where.
A history master I'll always remember, through fear. His proper name I don't recall but he was well remembered by the name of "count creep". You had to line up outside his classroom and remain silent, (his classroom was always locked). You never heard him coming because of his soft shoes so if you were rowdy he would hit you on the head with his keys on his head.
When he was returning homework to everybody he would throw each exercise book like a missile to each person from the front of the class room.
If you went for a misdemeanor you would receive the cane on the backside. But if you were misbehaving in the gym you had to remove one of your plimsoll's and the gym master give an almighty wack accross the backside. I never had that but a class mate did and he was hopping around the gym in the hope that the pain would go away. "Happy" days.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PeteB

28-06-2012 11:49 AM

Was your 'count creep' a Mr Ashby?

Harveys John

28-06-2012 04:01 PM

Yes I think it was, it's coming back slowly.

Andy

29-06-2012 08:43 AM

Are you Harveys John because of the beer? They do a nice pint of it at the Blythe Hill Tavern.

Harveys John

29-06-2012 04:14 PM

No, not really I never took to drinking a lot. No reason for it, I think I could only drink a little when my body didn't want any more.

Chiny

06-07-2012 10:12 PM

Ah yes, Mr Ashby; a horrible man. I simply gave up history as a result of his nastiness.

Vastly more successful teachers included my physics teacher, a Mr Poole I think. Hmm, and an English teacher who was excellent; drat, his name escapes me. And a French teacher called Novotny.

Didn't we call teachers "masters" ?

Harveys John

08-07-2012 03:15 PM

Yes we did call them Masters. I suppose we can't remember all of their names because it was a lone time but the few that I've remembered were the best or the worst.
Two items I've found, my only picture that was taken in my 1st year. It was Harvey 5 tutor group.
My old report book, not the best report I've had of my work. Some were OK in my last year but late to realise I should have worked harder earlier on. But in the end I achieved my goal in the end.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Harveys John

12-07-2012 10:07 AM

I thought about the 'Masters' mentioned and had second thoughts.
Yes to a point, I now remember that when talked about or sent to;
Head Masters, House Masters, or Tutor Master. When talked about them generally it was all Mr.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields