SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
What do we need in HOP?
kittenheels

02-07-2012 12:23 PM

We moved to HOP from East Dulwich at the end of April and are loving the area. I'm making a point of shopping at the florist and the deli at least once a week and have been so impressed by the warm, friendly service in both, as well as in Neroli, Jumping Bean, Honor Oak Supermarket and Tapatisserie.

The only downer is the number of empty shops on the parade - which got me wondering, what do the good people of HOP really want and need from that strip?

For me, it'd be a foodie pub - somewhere that does a cracking Sunday roast and prides itself on good quality ingredients. What do you think?

This post was last modified: 02-07-2012 12:31 PM by kittenheels.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nitoda

02-07-2012 06:24 PM

For me it would be a proper butcher/fishmonger and a greengrocer. I probably wouldn't use a foodie pub at all. I do use the small HOP supermarket and the deli, and use the chip shop and the Chinese takeaway occasionally but haven't been to the Tapas place for a while. It's not what it used to be unless the latest changes have improved it at all. I used to use the Indian restaurant and was sad when it closed. I'd use a cheap and cheerful Indian restaurant and take-away - I don't like Babur myself, it's not my kind of food and there's not a lot for my restricted diet (dairy allergy). If we're talking in blue sky terms, a swimming pool would be nice! LOL. I will be checking out the new pool at Forest Hill soon. Oh, and I do use the bike shop - I got my new bike from them and nearly all the bits and pieces except for the panniers and my waterproof jacket.

kittenheels

03-07-2012 10:51 AM

Interesting to hear that... I love Babur! It's opened my eyes to how delicate and delicious Indian food can be, aside from the stuff we're so used to in most UK curry houses. Agreed on the pool though - something Miami-style with king-size sunbeds and cocktails on tap? ;-)

Oh, and I've been really impressed with Tapatisserie. We haven't lived here long so I can't compare it with how it used to be - but some of the new Spanish sandwiches they're doing now are delicious, and the tapas is great too. The first time we were in there, the owner came over to introduce himself and our coffees were free. Lovely warm welcome.

This post was last modified: 03-07-2012 10:54 AM by kittenheels.

Sherwood

03-07-2012 11:05 AM

There is a butcher nearby. i don't know the road.

Cheeky

03-07-2012 11:12 AM

Hi Kittenheels, welcome to the area, it's a good place to live but lets face it, looking at the high street it's got a long way to go before it becomes a great place to live.

You may be wondering why you've not had much response to your post. It's not that people are ignoring you (well, it is actually) but if you look back at past posts it's probably because we've had this question crop up before and it's also been a topic of conversation on a number of other posts. I think maybe people are thinking 'been there done that' as it's been hotly debated on a number of occassions, not least on the below threads which you may be interested in:

http://www.se23.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=5739

http://www.se23.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=4925

There are many things which would be lovely on the parade, not least a pharmacy, greengrocers, butchers, gastro pub etc etc we all agree (on the specific traders however, we often don't) but for the time being (and for the past couple of years i'm afraid) it's a case of watch this space.

Cheeky

03-07-2012 11:16 AM

The Butcher's is called Peter James and can be found at 1 Ewhurst Road, SE4 1AG

He really is worth a trip, proper traditional Butcher like!!

kittenheels

03-07-2012 11:30 AM

Thanks for the top tip, we'll make a pilgrimage to the butchers soon I'm sure.

I'm optimistic those empty shops will fill up with useful retailers or services over time. I heard the chap who owns the Old Bank was charging such high rent that it just wasn't viable for the owners of one of ED's loveliest gastro pubs when they looked into it. I think that's a real shame... but hopefully the landlords will become more flexible when they get sick of paying empty property rates!

Anyway, we're in HOP for the long haul so I'll look forward to seeing it evolve and enjoying the good things we've already got. Yes, there are a few empties, but there's a lot of great stuff here too.

PS - Special thanks to Cheeky for those links. I'll take a look.

This post was last modified: 03-07-2012 11:34 AM by kittenheels.

Codrington Brill

09-07-2012 08:18 PM

The imminent arrival of a Sainsburys Local should kick off the recovery of this parade nicely. The place could also do with more bars and restaurants judging by the popularity of Hop Scotch and that tapas place. Lovely jubley!

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields