SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Rail services during the Olympics
rbmartin

27-06-2012 05:07 PM

The East London Line will have additional trains running every 5/10 mins during the late evening and the early hours of the morning.

The final train from Canada Water will be at 0248 which arrives at FH at 0302 and HOP at 0300.

There are NO changes to Southern services with the final service at 0036 from London Bridge.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rshdunlop

27-06-2012 05:15 PM

I like the sound of those late trains - any chance we can keep them after the Olympics?

Loncdl

27-06-2012 08:52 PM

Only if we're prepared to pay Bob Crow and his mates an extra grand every week...

rbmartin

27-06-2012 08:54 PM

Extending the time of the final ELL trains to at least 0100 on Mon-Sat is viable, which would bring them back in line with how they were ran under London Underground.

It's crazy that the last train to FH isn't on the ELL but from Southern at London Bridge!

roz

27-06-2012 09:07 PM

Interesting but cant recall when I caught a last train to anywhere as cant stay awake much after 9pm these days. I am impressed by those who can, especially working parents.....

Applespider

27-06-2012 10:03 PM

Something else to bear in mind is that you can't take non-folding bikes on the Overground during the Olympics regardless of the time of day. They've kept that rather quiet so far but I saw it listed on one of the GetAheadoftheGames pages.

I'd thought about cycling from Stratford back towards Whitechapel and then skipping onto the Overground rather than fighting my way across Tower Bridge but it's a no-go.

rbmartin

28-06-2012 12:12 AM

Unfolded bikes will be allowed on the ELL between Forest Hill and West Croydon/Crystal Palace during the games, but nowhere north of there.

http://lcc.org.uk/articles/bicycles-bann...aralympics

ringingcod

28-06-2012 11:01 AM

They don't seem to enforce the non-folding bike rules currently.

Medley

29-06-2012 06:31 PM

They don't seem to enforce the non-folding bike rules currently.

That's because the rules are different for the Olympics - non-folding bikes are allowed after 19.00

ringingcod

02-07-2012 10:37 AM

Excuse my English. TfL do not appear to enforce the existing bicycle restrictions on the London Overground railway service.

Highbury and Islington to West Croydon
Folding bicycles can be carried free of charge on any London Overground services at any time.

Non-folding bicycles may not be carried on any London Overground services between 07:00 and 10:00 and between 16:00 and 19:00 Monday to Friday
Non-folding bicycles may be carried free of charge at all other times

There are often non-folding bicycles on the train in the prohibited hours.

InTheForest

08-07-2012 06:09 PM

So there is room on the line to ease the overcrowding that occurs every morning then? They just don't bother.

mrwandle

09-07-2012 12:59 PM

Watch out if you use London Bridge station tomorrow (10th July). They're testing how it will run during the Olympics so it'll take longer to get in or out of the station.

michael

09-07-2012 01:26 PM

There are also announcements at the station by the Mayor of London telling us not to use public transport during the Olympics.

It's a bit like Y2K. There is a fear of public transport meltdown that is simply not going to occur. August is the quietest month on London Transport and I doubt the 1 million extra tourists will make much of a difference to a city the size of London with the infrastructure we have. Of course many of the trains will be overcrowded, but that is completely normal for London during the rush hour.

I hope that normal Londoners are not intimidated to stay at home. We can battle through the overcrowded transport system like we manage every day.

roz

09-07-2012 04:05 PM

If that is true about the announcement then that is absolutely ridiculous; how can people be advised not to use public transport.What are we supposed to do- drive everywhere? I think not? Not go to work, not go out to eat, have a life, become prisoners in our own homes? I was as enthusiastic as anyone else when we won the bid 7 years ago but right now I feel as if myself and my family are getting nothing out of it but expense and misery. Was it really the case that transport planning did not take account of the Londoners who live here? I agree that August is traditionally quiet but wonder if Londoners are deliberately not going away when they would normally do just to experience the Olympics.

And why are tickets going for several hundred pounds from official sources for heavens sake- how can we be expected to compete for an event in our own home town. I can understand Wimbledon tickets going to select groups for silly money but not what I thought was going to be the 'people's Olympics'. If local people cant get tickets then they should surely be prioritised for tickets at better prices than this. Shame shame shame and shambles.

Applespider

09-07-2012 10:36 PM

You can blame the EU apparently for them not being able to sell Olympic tickets to London or UK residents at a different price to rest of Europe. Although I believe those who lived close to venues did get offered the chance to buy cheaper seats to make up for some of the inconvenience - I have friends in Greenwich who picked up £50 tickets to the 100m final through that scheme. Tickets-wise though, they have been around and at reasonable prices. The average price of mine works out to £40 and I only got one set in the original ballot. I've picked up several more in recent weeks just by keeping an eye on the official website. Last week, another friend got tickets for his whole family to go to water polo (a day out in the Park too) with the 'pay your age' offer so it's costing them £49 for the four of them to see an event. Not a pittance but equally, no worse than a trip to a theme park.

The Boris announcements that I've heard didn't say to avoid public transport entirely (and the message is definitely not to take the car) but that some parts of it would be exceptionally busy so you should plan your route accordingly. E.g. If there's an event on near a station at 7pm, then perhaps try to avoid going through it until after 7 when the rush of spectators is seated - or be prepared to wait. I too think they are trying to overegg the problems so that people don't get stressed waiting for slightly longer than usual.

michael

10-07-2012 07:09 AM

[rant]Yes, Boris didn't really tell us not to use public transport, that was just what I heard.
When I go to the one Olympic event for which I have tickets I will be leaving plenty of time to get there well in advance of the start. I have no intention of changing my travel patterns for work. If I took the Central Line then I might, but there is no reason why trains leaving London Bridge lower station should be impacted by the Olympics as none of the events are happening in Crystal Palace.

The details of expected traffic on roads is even more pathetic.
Everything within the South and North circular is coloured for 'expect delays', which is somehow meant to be different from normal life in London.

Here is what London 2012 were telling us in 2007:

Quote:
Transport is one of the key strengths of London’s Olympic Bid

Every day 12 million journeys are made on London's public transport network. Daily spectator demand during the Games will be around 5% of this level at a time of year when 20% of commuters are on holiday. The net result is that London will have an effective 15% spare capacity for the Games.

So which is it; spare capacity or exceptionally busy?
[/rant]

lacb

10-07-2012 09:18 AM

I have been puzzled by the same thing as Michael on this.

The only answer I can come up with is that the spare capacity has been calculated for the whole day and if lots of spectators try and get to an event during rush hour then this will cause the congestion that is clearly being planned for. In this context, it would make sense for commuters to make alternative arrangements - *if they can do so*. Otherwise, I see no reason why this should spoil our enjoyment of the games.

Londondrz

10-07-2012 09:35 AM

London Bridge was one of a number of stations that were being "practiced" on this morning for crowd control.

I was impressed with the metal barriers and the three people in purple'ish tabbards with (useless) megaphones.

It does not bode well.

Sibelius

10-07-2012 04:25 PM

8.33 HOP to London Bridge then LB to Charing Cross was no different to any other day. I know there's been a lot of disgruntled commuters today but I can only imagine it's due to underground problems. If my journey is like it was today during the Games I'll be very happy!

john-f

11-07-2012 08:49 PM

Yesterday was awful for my wife who works near London Brridge Station. She uses a walking stick but was told by the yellow-tabarded staff that she was not disabled as shw wasn't in a wheelchair. She was evetually allowed in the Tooley St entrance by one of these uesless jobsworths who said he would take her up to the platform. He didn't. He left her near the lift (which she wasn't allowed to use) and had to make her way through the crowds (as did an 8-month pregnant woman she works with).
Quite simple really, if you are disabled or pregnant, you are a nuisance and Network Rail couldn't give a monkey's for your safety.

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Christmas 2012 rail services rbmartin 0 2,667 17-12-2012 01:01 PM
Last Post: rbmartin