SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
my mum's birthday
shimmysister

24-06-2012 02:47 PM

Its my mum's birthday this week and I'd like t take her to something nice to cheer her up on Thursday,Friday, Saturday or Sunday day time or evening. She likes live music, particularly world music and folk and also likes dancing and , theatre! It seems a lot of the things she would have loved happened a few weeks ago or will be happening in July! It its easy to get to from Honor Oak that would be a bonus!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bcm

24-06-2012 04:42 PM

If she likes dancing the rivoli ballroom in crofton park sound ideal Smile

Deano

24-06-2012 08:40 PM

If she likes music, dancing and theatre, why not take her to Dartmouth tandoori? She won't be expecting that!

SElady

24-06-2012 09:46 PM

Maybe take her to the Brockley Jack for a meal and the theatre and then walk down the road to the famous Rivoli Ballroom for dancing.

shimmysister

26-06-2012 09:07 AM

will check out if theres anything on at the Rivoli which is a wonderful place! I find their website very confusing to access info. Love the Brockley Jack also and feel so grateful to have two brilliant venues like that on my doorstep! Unfortunately the play that is on is all about teenage sexual angst Laugh which I think she might find a bit heavy...she needs some cheering up!

Theres some folk in east dulwhich with Frankie Armstrong at the Goose is out so I may take her to that!

Thanks everyone! Must try the dartmouth tandoori one day!

china girl

26-06-2012 11:38 AM

If your mum needs cheering up, my top recommendation would be stand-up comedy at the Hob: a cracking way to spend a Saturday night! The Rivoli is also brilliant. I had a memorable birthday a few years ago - met up with friends for a meal and a few bevvies in Mr Lawrence then we all staggered across the road to the Rivoli for their gay & straight ballroom dancing night; if you have the chance, do go - it has to be experienced to be believed!

john-f

26-06-2012 08:25 PM

If you fancy going further afield, try the Gladstone pub in the Borough (behind the tube in Lant Street). It's a small intimate venue that has lots of blues, folk, etc. Costs nothing to get in but it is popular so arrive early for a seat. Check their website or facebook for details of upcoming gigs:
http://www.thegladpub.com/

shimmysister

27-06-2012 10:25 AM

The hob is a good idea I forgot about! . I saw Russell Brand there before he got famous and took on his dandy fop image! He looked quite sporty I seem to remember!

I love the sound of the pub in Borough. That is exactly the sort of venue and music me and my mum love and its fairly easy to get to! Thanks for that !

china girl

27-06-2012 12:20 PM

I can't imagine a pre-fop Russell Brand with a sporty look! I saw Noel Fielding in the early days when the edc was in East Dulwich. We couldn't believe our luck when we moved from Camberwell to Forest Hill and then the edc relocated to the Hob!!

(Love the sound of the Gladstone too: will definitely give that a try...)

john-f

27-06-2012 07:25 PM

The Gladstone doesn't appear to have updated their website yet but acts for this weekend are:

Thurs 28 June: The Obscuritones - female trio playing rockabilly, surf, garage rock and original songs. Onstage at 9.00 pm

Fri 29 June: Guest DJs- Trouble In Mind: Weekly guest dj slot bringing you the best in rhythm and blues, soul, ska, rock'n'roll and beyond..

Sat 30 June: Patch & The Giant/ Tall Poppies. Patch & The Giant are an alternative folk band that bring together a rich mix of home grown sounds from their 7 spirited members and enjoy a happy and harmonious abundance of finger-picking banjo, warbling brass, strings and accordion. Onstage at 10.00 pm

Aussie sisters Susan and Catherine are backed by German drummer girl Milena and Irish violin maestro Dairmuid. Their crafted melodic songs are drenched in dual harmonies, onstage at 9.00 pm

Sun 31 June: James McArthur & The Head Gardeners/ Deekie/ Micky Buccheri (City Reverb) Melodic psych folk with gentle harmonies reminiscent of Sam Beam's Iron and Wine backed by pedal steel, intricately plucked acoustic guitar and beautifully interwoven fiddle accompaniment. James McArthur onstage at 9.00 pm

Micky Buccheri from renowned Cafe Del Mar associated chill out act City Reverb plays acoustic versions of tracks from new album Edge Lands - expect spectral folk and mellow vibes...Micky Buccheri onstage at 8.15 pm

Lo-fi electronica duo Deekie create softly looping tones and drones. The pair mix oscillating beats with heavy lidded melodies, teasing out a dreamy innocence to all they do. Deeekie onstage at 7.30 pm

Mon 1 July: Trad Irish and Roots round table session. Music begins at 8.30 pm.

china girl

27-06-2012 08:59 PM

Thanks, john-f - all sounds excellent! (Just a small point: this coming Sunday/Monday will be the 1st/2nd of July according to my diary.)

Incidentally, for future reference, if the Gladstone website is out-of-date, how would you recommend finding out what's on?

john-f

27-06-2012 10:05 PM

Get on their e-mail list...
...and apologies for the dates

john-f

27-06-2012 10:06 PM

And yes, Sunday is the 1 July, not 31 June! That'll teach me for cut and pasting without reading it properly.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields