SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (104): « First < Previous 82 83 84 85 [86] 87 88 89 90 Next > Last »
Forest Hill Pools
nottinghillbilly

02-10-2012 08:01 PM

Any update from my boyfriend who has swum there a few times now. The lane ropes aren't anti-wave- the small rotating plastic wheels- so it can get quite choppy in there. Also there are no "speed" designations on the lanes so you end up with a mix of speeds in each lane. The staff are aware of this but for the sake of a magic marker nothing is being done......

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Perryman

02-10-2012 09:53 PM

Quote:
Any update from my boyfriend who has swum there a few times now.

How long has he been missing?

nottinghillbilly

02-10-2012 11:42 PM

I am an adult booked in for swimming lessons at FH pools.
When I realised the pools were opening and I hadnt had a new date finalised for my lessons I emailed Sian Ahearne The head coach who I had been communicating with for some months.
My email was returned as undeliverable.
I then sent a PM via this forum to fusion, got a prompt reply from a gentleman advising me that Sian had left the company but my lessons were booked and confirmed and gave me a start date.I am due to start next week.
fingers crossed!Rolleyes

nottinghillbilly

02-10-2012 11:47 PM

PS.
Tis true to say they badly need the anti wave ropes.
And as I previously mentioned-having already experienced 'pool rage' from a woman peed off by my snails pace attempted swim they REALLY REALLY need designated speed lanes.
also agree that the lanes seem very narrow-perhaps they should make a wider 'slow lane' for the likes of me Wink

Shepherd1983

03-10-2012 09:57 AM

Agreed about the width of the lanes - I had a head on collision with an unfortunate bloke doing backstroke yesterday, I think the entire pool must of heard out heads smash together Blink

mfr2007

03-10-2012 05:50 PM

hopefully they put in fast lanes soon, nothing more frustrating than having lanes clogged up

trevskirevski

03-10-2012 09:54 PM

Amazingly our daughters name was still on the list from July to start lessons this weekend. We only found out after persevering at front desk with queries. I had found the original booking time and managed to speak to some one after 9pm when it was a bit quieter.

Never received a phone call from the list, never received a follow up from the (3)messages left on the query cards. The overwhelming uptake of the pool, lessons and memberships could have been anticipated, lets hope this is the last time I post about fusion...

Pico
No longer registered

03-10-2012 10:28 PM

Wider lanes would be a good idea and two speeds too. One for slow coaches like me and a fast one for the others!

nottinghillbilly

04-10-2012 12:00 AM

If I'm honest I was so put out and unnerved by the 'lane rage' I experienced that I haven't been back since, despite needing the excersize and practiseSad

Pico
No longer registered

04-10-2012 09:48 AM

We don't go to a swimming pool expecting conflict really do we? I am not surprised the 'lane rage' put you off. We all have different levels of fitness and varying levels of confidence in the pool. The person who got cross with you sounds highly inconsiderate.

seeformiles

04-10-2012 03:44 PM

I'm really sorry to hear about the lane rage. Some people have very poor swimming etiquette! I'm a reasonable swimmer but I used to feel very put off by some of these people. You also get the fast swimmers hogging the slower lanes during busy times, but apparently that's ok and they can do what they like it seems!

Sounds like there definitely needs to be very clear signposting for each lane. So I hope Fusion do something about this.

But I do think backstroke should be discouraged when the pool gets too crowded - I've seen too many heads crashing together. It really is just common sense in the end.

This post was last modified: 04-10-2012 03:47 PM by seeformiles.

borderpaul

04-10-2012 04:17 PM

I do like my backstroke. Swimming wouldn't be the same if I couldn't lie on my back and think of nothing. Perhaps a lane dedicated to backstroke is the answer.

robin orton

04-10-2012 05:15 PM

I don't think anyone has mentioned that there are signs up at the head of each lane enjoining those using them to swim down one side and up the other and indicating whether the direction of travel should be clockwise or anti-clockwise. If people stick to this lane discipline, i.e if everyone is in effect swimming in a single line one behind the other, the chances of collisions are substantially reduced. But I agree the system would work better if there were designated fast and slow lanes, as at The Bridge. (Personally, I'd like a 'medium' lane for people like me who are neither very fast nor very slow, but perhaps that's too much to ask!)

My osteopath tells me that for people like me with spinal problems backstroke is much better for you than crawl or breast stroke, so I'd be unhappy if its use were to be restricted. I agree it can be a problem for other swimmers - everyone needs to be courteous and alert. I'm not sure a 'backstroke only' lane is the answer - at least when you've got a mixture of strokes there are some people who can see where they're going and take avoiding action when necessary!

seeformiles

04-10-2012 06:04 PM

Fair enough, I also like backstroke and find it more comfortable with my back problems, but I have seen a few collisions over the years.

I used the medium lane at Greenwich pool, so hopefully they'll introduce one at FH. Anyway I'm looking forward to trying it out soon.

Happy swimming everyone.

Kingly

05-10-2012 04:22 PM

The lack of structured lanes is very frustrating. When I raised this
with the attendants and suggested they handwrite signs for fast,
medium and slow lanes. I was told it would look unprofessional. I was
left speechless!

stefan

05-10-2012 04:28 PM

I agree, that different lanes would be a good idea but agree that hand written signs would look unprofessional, unfortunately if the pool users would be so ignorant of others we wouldn't have this discussion, the whole thing doesnt look good for us Forest Hillers

Kingly

05-10-2012 05:02 PM

As a regular swimmer its very important to get into a pace and there is nothing mire annoying than someone swimming at a different pace. Therefore until the signs are printed hand written signs would be helpful.

Anotherjohn

05-10-2012 05:43 PM

Does Fusion not employ anyone at this pool who is capable of knocking-up a simple sign?

It is ridiculous that this forum is left to debate whether or not a fundemental problem with lane allocation and swim speed should be solved with a few hand-written signs when it could be dealt with in half an hour.

To me, it would be far better to have the lanes controlled by 'unprofessional' looking hand-written signs than for the pool's users to be getting frustrated, crashing into each other and suffering 'lane rage'.

But surely it's mere childs' play to get on the computer, make an A4 sign with words and arrows and print it off. If there isn't a laminator on site one of the staff could use their loaf and knock on doors of local offices to to blag a quick favour of having the signs laminated then get back and put them up with blue-tack or whatever.

Such a simple thing has turned into a complete farce!

Anotherjohn

05-10-2012 05:45 PM

Does Fusion not employ anyone at this pool who is capable of knocking-up a simple sign?

It is ridiculous that this forum is left to debate whether or not a fundemental problem with lane allocation and swim speed should be solved with a few hand-written signs when it could be dealt with in half an hour.

To me, it would be far better to have the lanes controlled by 'unprofessional' looking hand-written signs than for the pool's users to be getting frustrated, crashing into each other and suffering 'lane rage'.

But surely it's mere childs' play to get on the computer, make an A4 sign with words and arrows and print it off. If there isn't a laminator on site one of the staff could use their loaf and knock on doors of local offices to to blag a quick favour of having the signs laminated then get back and put them up with blue-tack or whatever.

Such a simple thing has turned into a complete farce!

oryx

05-10-2012 09:20 PM

I'm going to be looking for a new pool to go to soon due to relocating at work, and sadly what I'm reading here is putting me off Forest Hill!

I hope someone from there reads this and sorts out the badly organised lanes and poor customer service. Sad[/font]

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Forest Hill Pools Cllr Sophie Davis 1 4,159 11-02-2019 02:08 PM
Last Post: StuartG
  Forest Hill Pools Documentary hillview 0 2,957 06-01-2019 10:14 AM
Last Post: hillview
  Thefts from Forest Hill Pools Gym Lockers Tina 4 6,640 14-09-2018 09:25 AM
Last Post: hillview
  Forest Hill Assembly - Saturday 11 March , 1.30 – 3.30 pm at The Forest Hill Pools Cllr Paul Upex 0 3,226 07-03-2017 11:02 AM
Last Post: Cllr Paul Upex
  Forest Hill Pools Slipper Baths localbigwig 0 3,506 23-02-2016 06:54 PM
Last Post: localbigwig
  Face lift of block before Forest Hill Pools Cheeky 3 7,638 23-06-2014 01:39 PM
Last Post: digime
  Save Forest Hill Pools alexis 62 67,337 24-03-2008 09:38 PM
Last Post: sydenhamcentral